C4 Forums | Control4

HDMI over Cat5e hardware/wallplates

akg4y

Does anyone have any experience or thoughts about using this Tripp lite wall plate combo for HDMI over Cat5e?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CJ9392

All of the other HDMI over cat5e items I have seen require an external power source, which I would like to avoid if possible, but I just wonder if the lack of a power source diminishes the signal or quality of the conversion?

I agree with lippavisual... we switched over to ACTIVE baluns a few months ago - and it cleared up the few problems with had with passive (not to say there were a lot of problems - but when there were - it was a pain in the a$$). For the cost difference - it just made sense and we just switched to all active now.

Thanks... I may just buy one and give it a shot, if it doesnt work Im out $45 but at least I dont have another thing plugged in at the main component location. I already have so many devices plugged in that not having 2-3 more is beneficial if possible.

That's funny. The other day my wife was with me downstairs and saw all the devices plugged into the surge protectors and UPS units and almost died. She estimates/claims (complete uneducated guess from the hip) that "all that stuff probably raises our power $100 per month"!

That made me wonder how much power it does consume....how could I find that out?

How much power does *what* consume?

Everything?

You could get a Kill-a-watt meter, but that only measures the power on a single outlet. You could plug your UPS into that, and see how much the equipment plugged into the UPS is using, and then plug each individual item in separately, and see how much power each of them are taking, and sum it up.

Kill-a-watt meters are pretty inexpensive (typically <$30), and fun to play around with.

RyanE

Kill-a-watt meters are fantastic. I've used one at a sysadmin job to plan for generator requirements in the aftermath of hurricane Rita. I had one generator available to me, and I had to figure out what necessary components we needed to run the branch facility, and in what order they should be powered on/down without damaging equipment/tripping the breaker. Was kind of a less-interesting/exciting version of the Apollo13 movie.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived