C4 Forums | Control4

Integration with DSC PC1832 Security System

AK1

Hi, I am planning my C4 installation and understand I will need to buy the IT-100 module.

For the front entrance area of my house, I will likely have a 7" or 10" C4 touchscreen and the DSC panel.

For the door entering the garage area and the master bedroom, I was considering using C4 interfaces. I assume it will need to provide some sort of virtual keypad so I can enter the digits to disarm the system. Can I use the mini 4" touch screen for this? Can I also use an LCD keypad or 6 button keypad?

Thanks...

10-button LCD Keypad and/or 6-button keypad can't implement the virtual keypad of a security panel.

Mini-Touch / 7" / 10.5" will all do a virtual keypad for a security system.

As it sounds like you're planning, it's always wise to have at least one true *system keypad* for your alarm, in case the Control4 system is down (power outage, etc.) and you need to arm / disarm your security system. Security system batteries are rated for running the security system many hours, vs. a UPS for your control system, which is usually only an hour or few.

RyanE

^I agree with Ryan (like I would disagree?). AK1, you didn't mention that the DCS was pre-existing so if not, install the DCS interface instead.

Hello,

The DCS exists but with only one control panel. We are renovating and extending our house. So we need two more locations from which to control the DCS: new master bedroom and new garage entry to the house.

When you enter/leave the house from the garage you need to arm/disarm the DCS and deal with the lights. This could be done with one C4 touchscreen, according to Ryan E. It could also be done with a DCS panel (aprox. $60) and a C4 2 or 3 button keypad for the lights. This is cheaper than using a $500+ touchscreen.

The master bedroom needs the same capabilities but should probably also have audio controls. So perhaps this is a better location for a touchscreen.

Cheers...

You can certainly single-button ARM your panel with a 2/3/6 button keypad, but disarming will require you to enter your code, which you can't do with a keypad. You may want to add a system keypad in that location if that would be the only reason you'd have a touchpanel there otherwise.

I personally have security keypads at my front door, garage door, and master bedroom. I only have a touchpanel at the master bedroom location of those three. You're right, it really would not make much sense to put an expensive touchscreen in my mud room going out to the garage...

:)

RyanE

You can certainly single-button ARM your panel with a 2/3/6 button keypad, but disarming will require you to enter your code, which you can't do with a keypad. You may want to add a system keypad in that location if that would be the only reason you'd have a touchpanel there otherwise.

I personally have security keypads at my front door, garage door, and master bedroom. I only have a touchpanel at the master bedroom location of those three. You're right, it really would not make much sense to put an expensive touchscreen in my mud room going out to the garage...

:)

RyanE

So I am thinking we will install:

* Garage mud room: alarm keypad and C4 switch for lights on/off: I guess a two button keypad is all that is needed?

* Master bedroom: alarm keypad and C4 switch for lights on/off. Could go with touchscreen but not essential.

* Main entrance: wall mounted 7" touch screen and alarm keypad.

I would install a 3 or 6-button keypad, only because they don't look like a switch.

It isn't obvious to someone that you can do scenes when they see a 2-button keypad, since it just looks like a regular dimmer.

I would use the 6-button, because then you can do additional things with the unused buttons (all lights off / garage door indicators / lights indicators / all zones off / etc.).

RyanE

in looking at your plans, may i suggest that at the very least, make sure you run cat5 into the wall cavity by the doors in the mud room and master bedroom (also the garage, both walls of living rooms, kitchen, etc, etc...). i didn't do it initially because i didn't think i'd need a touchscreen in either place, but just a year after we moved in, i was snaking cable - not nearly as easy as when the walls were open. i originally had 2 touchscreens, now i have 8. they are VERY handy (and cool too).

in looking at your plans, may i suggest that at the very least, make sure you run cat5 into the wall cavity by the doors in the mud room and master bedroom (also the garage, both walls of living rooms, kitchen, etc, etc...). i didn't do it initially because i didn't think i'd need a touchscreen in either place, but just a year after we moved in, i was snaking cable - not nearly as easy as when the walls were open. i originally had 2 touchscreens, now i have 8. they are VERY handy (and cool too).

Excellent advice, thank you. We will have all the walls open and now is the perfect opportunity.

• 4 years later...

Archived