C4 Forums | Control4

ComposerHE for Linux

Marc

Hi everyone.

I'm running (K)Ubuntu 9.04 64bit Edition and I have ComposerHE (Windows).

I tried running ComposerHE in Windows with Virtualbox form Sun, but it crashes...

Does anyone know if I can get a LINUX copy of that software?

Trying to get rid of every MS software. I know that Control4 components work in Linux so I guess there should be a ComposerHE linux edition available

Many thanks

Marc

I would be so grateful towards you if you could just try ComposerHE and see if it works with you...

I tried with Ubuntu 64bit, Kubuntu 64bit, Virtualbox OSE and Virtualbox PUEL with same results, Xp, Vista or Windows7.

I get a message saying that ComposerHE stop unexpectedly before it even open its window.

Is it because of my 64bit architecture?

If you could just install the software on your setup and see how it reacts, that would help me a lot.

Marc

I don't have ComposerHE.

That said, ComposerPro is built on the same stack as ComposerHE.

It's possible it's the 64-bit architecture. Is the Windows running under Virtualbox also 64-bit?

RyanE

I don't have ComposerHE.

It's possible it's the 64-bit architecture. Is the Windows running under Virtualbox also 64-bit?

RyanE

I'm on Kubuntu 64bit running Windows7 64bit and Vista 64bit as guests. NOT working

I just tried with Windows XP Home ed. 32bit as guest with same result. I attached the settings I have with Virtualbox. See if there is something wrong about it (I doubt it). I tried enable and disabling IO APIC no difference...

I also noticed when installing ComposerHE on WinXP that it is also installing a new network devices called TAP-Win32 adapter V8, that device being "unplugged". What is it and would that be the problem?

Thanks for you help again.

What version of HE are you installing?

Older versions did not play well with Vista.

RyanE

It says 1.7.1. I had my doubts about Vista (and Windows7) and that's why I tried 2 different flavors of XP (Professional and Home Ed.).

What about that TAP-Win32 network device being installed by ComposerHE and that appears to be unplugged anyway?

marc

The TAP device is for the VPN functionality, that your dealer (or you, I suppose with HE) can use to access your system remotely through 4Sight.

RyanE

Ok. I thought that since the ComposerHE has to get activated first, it was using that device in order to get connected to c4 and get its activation. And since that device seems to be unplugged I thought that it could make the loading fail or crash as it is happening with me...

Well I'm clueless. Will wait in order to get the latest ComposerHE and see if it works (tried the old 1.3.2 and 1.7.1 with same result so I doubt it). If not, well, I'm gonna have to stick with vmware...

Unfortunately, it's not officially supported running under a VM, so it's difficult to get a resolution if it isn't working.

I am surprised it's not working for you in VirtualBox, though.

Sorry you're having problems.

RyanE

I don't have ComposerHE.

RyanE

I found out what is causing the crash. It's the activation process that fails and since it is needed in order to ComposerHE to get launch, it never launches...

Since ComposerPro doesn't have the activation to begin with, it's working with Virtualbox. Now I need to know if there's a way to activate some other way (is there a file created after the activation I can just copy and paste to make the software start directly without having to start the activation again?).

Any idea?

• 1 month later...

I don't know if this provides any info for you or not. But I noticed that Composer HE does not run well on Vista 64 for me. I had several crashes on different areas ... mostly the Media section, or system diagnostics. It works fine on Vista 32. Same was true for Media Edition.

Archived