C4 Forums | Control4

Router Issue (maybe)?

Ok, my system works well (knock on wood). When my system was installed, the C4 components were installed in 1 port of a Netgear Wireless N router (4 open ports). I have 2 computers and then added a network printer - problem 5 things to plug into the router (wireless is 1 of the things), only 4 open ports. So I purchased a D-link 8 port router and plugged the 2 computers, 1 printer and wireless router (C4 plugged into Netgear) into it and all works fine.

Question - I can't log into the controller through my computer (hard wired into D-link), but I can log in wireless.

Does this matter? Will I get a faster response when updating music, DVD's, etc. if I was not wireless (seems a little slow).

Go ahead - kill my terminology, but hopefully the pros here can follow this. Also, my dealer can log in remotely and do stuff as it stands.

Well if you needed more ports you should use a switch and not a second router. Two routers on one network can cause more issues than they are worth if not configured properly. Or is the dlink 8 port router a switch. Heck of a router if it has 8 ports built in.

If you've plugged one router into the back of another router and they're both running DHCP you've created a subnet, possibly using different IP numbering plans. That's why you can't log into the controller on the wired machine.

You needed a switch, not a second router. Log into the d-link and find the option (if it has one) to use as an access point, or at a minimum, turn off DHCP on the second router. You may need to use a specific port on the second router to use it as an access point or switch so read the manual to find out how to do that. If it's still new and you have the receipt, you may want to return it and get a switch.

Good luck.

I messed with it some yesterday - change the IP addresses for the router - now the D-Link is 192.168.0.1 and the Netgear Wireless is 192.168.1.1 (all my C4 stuff has static IPs with 192.168.1.xxx). Yesterday I changed the D-link to 192.168.1.1 and the plugged the C4 into the Dlink - I could then see it from my computer, but could not locate it through the wireless router (using my itouch ControlUI). So I am missing something. Sadly, a level or 2 above my router expertise. I could always call my techs out, but it would cost me.

You cant have devices on 192.168.1.x talk to devices on 192.168.0.x and vice versa without static routing enabled or layer three switching between the subnets. All your devices in your case should probably be on the 192.168.1.x to match your control4 gear as it's already setup.

Be sure though that if you change the ip of the router from what Control4 currently knows it as (IE to 192.168.1.1 from 192.168.1.0) you'll need to update all the ip information for your control4 gear.

Another issue is that the controller uses SSDP to notify clients of its location. SSDP uses a multicast address in the 239.255.0.0/16 range, and most home routers don't by default forward those packets off the local network. It's pretty easy to fix, but exactly how is definitely not obvious (or even possible) on some home routers.

If no one thinks I will see a speed increase from wireless to wired - (again, when updating files - DVDs, music, etc.) - then I won't try and make a change - it works perfectly except only being able to long in via wireless.

Thoughts on the speed?

Wired will always be faster than wireless, especially in the case of TCP transmissions, which caused failed/dropped packets to be resubmitted (error checking).

If you're happy with it, then there's no need to change.

Wired will always be faster than wireless, especially in the case of TCP transmissions, which caused failed/dropped packets to be resubmitted (error checking).

If you're happy with it, then there's no need to change.

lol - I am one of those people who are never happy if there is a better way.

Wired will always be faster than wireless' date=' especially in the case of TCP transmissions, which caused failed/dropped packets to be resubmitted (error checking).

If you're happy with it, then there's no need to change.[/quote']

lol - I am one of those people who are never happy if there is a better way.

Well, in that case you should re-design your network's topology :)

Wikipedia says SSDP uses port 1900. Maybe some port forwarding?

It might work, but there's something else going on there: the multicast address segment, 239.255.0.0/16, is only supposed to be routed locally regardless of port. In a network with more than one router (say at a company), the network designer specifies what "local" means and sets up routes appropriately. Most home routers, however, come with a built-in notion of local: everything on the downstream ports is one local network, everything upstream is not.

We are having a similar issue with an HC-300...

Similar in the sense that, when the device is powered on and connected to the local network, the Ethernet jack has a steady orange light and shows network activity on the green light, yet the device remains undiscoverable on the network.

Neither System Manager or Composer can see the controller at all.

We are essentially trying to migrate a system from an existing HTC Controller to the HC-300. The existing HTC has a static IP address assigned to it, but when we try to do the same in System Manager for the HC-300, we can't assign an IP to it. We were under the impression that the HC-300 would be discoverable upon initual connection to the network, yet that hasn't been the case with this device.

The cables are fine, and the currently active HTC is on the same router as the HC-300 we are attempting to get up and running. Yet, I sense that we may be dealing with a simple networking issue that we have overlooked.

Any thoughts/tips would be appreciated!

Archived