C4 Forums | Control4

POE Injector / Switch Clarification

AK1

Hi,

I am planning my new C4 installation and will have these "user interfaces": 7" touch screen (POE), LCD wireless keypad, mini touchscreen (POE) and 6 button keypad.

I will have either 2 x HC300 controllers or 1 x HC300 and 1 x HC200.

For AV, I will have the 8 channel amp. I will also have several wireless dimmers and wireless thermostats.

Question 1: will I need a POE injector for the 7" touch screen and mini touch screen? I understand I can also use a POE switch instead of 2 x injectors.

Question 2: are there any other devices for which I will need an injector or a port on a POE switch?

Thanks...

Based on what you listed you will only require two PoE ports or two PoE injectors.

All that requires PoE that C4 makes (I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong) is the PoE mini touch, 10 button LCD, 7" PoE in wall/desktop, and 10.5" wall mount PoE.

There are numerous products that have the ability to integrate with C4 that are PoE, such as certain IP cameras. If you are going to have very many PoE devices it is easier to get a PoE switch.

Based on what you listed you will only require two PoE ports or two PoE injectors.

All that requires PoE that C4 makes (I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong) is the PoE mini touch, 10 button LCD, 7" PoE in wall/desktop, and 10.5" wall mount PoE.

There are numerous products that have the ability to integrate with C4 that are PoE, such as certain IP cameras. If you are going to have very many PoE devices it is easier to get a PoE switch.

Thank you. This confirms my understanding. I am looking forward to the install!

If you have CAT5 to where the 10 button LCD is going to be, I would recommend you use the PoE model, instead of the Zigbee model.

There are 2 models, one of them takes 110 and communicates over Zigbee, the other is a PoE model, which gets both it's power and data over the CAT5 cable.

It's more responsive, because obviously ethernet returns data a lot faster than Zigbee.

RyanE

If you have CAT5 to where the 10 button LCD is going to be, I would recommend you use the PoE model, instead of the Zigbee model.

There are 2 models, one of them takes 110 and communicates over Zigbee, the other is a PoE model, which gets both it's power and data over the CAT5 cable.

It's more responsive, because obviously ethernet returns data a lot faster than Zigbee.

RyanE

Has that version (PoE) of the 10 button LCD always been available. When my system was installed (7/07) my dealer said the 110 version was the only one.

No, it was released a few months after the Zigbee one. Even I didn't even know we were working on a PoE version until it was basically released. Of course, I don't follow the upcoming hardware all the time.

Which kind of sucked, since I have 4-5 of them in my house, all Zigbee, when they could all have been PoE.

:(

RyanE

Archived