C4 Forums | Control4

Million Dollar View

WGN_South-Africa

This is a relatively bigger project than normal. but still small in comparison.

This majestic home is on top of a hill over looking the estuary in Knysna South-Africa

There has has been some intense planning and programing involved in this project.

where there was closely worked together with the owners and electrition (who was a GREAT help)

The house consists of two levels a Main and a First.

There is a total 43 passives in the entire house, wich detect movement and do

predictive lighting as you walk thru the house at night. Its almost like having

a halo aroung you as you walk.

MAIN LEVEL:

Kitchen/Scullery:

1x 3button keypad

4x inline dimmer

1x 6button keypad

Dining room:

3x inline dimmer

1x 6button keypad

1x SR 150 remote

1x LG LCD

Reception:

4x inline dimmer

1x 4" touch screen

Passage to Theatre room:

1x 3button keypad

1x inline dimmer

Theatre room:

2x 3button keypad

1x HC200

1x SR 150 remote

3x inline dimmer

1x Popcorn hour

1x SONY A/V reciever

1x SONY LCD

Pool Patio:

4x inline dimmers

1x YAMAHA A/V Reciever

Cloak Room:

1x inline dimmer

Main Bedroom:

1x 3button keypad

1x HC 200

1x SR 150 remote

4x inline dimmer

1x Popcorn hour

1x YAMAHA Soundbar

1x Panasonic plasma

Main Bathroom:

3x inline dimmer

1x 6button keypad

1x Samsung LCD

1x SR 150 remote

Garage:

2x inline dimmers

1x 3button keypad

1x Contact relay

General Outside Area:

14x inline dimmer

1x contact relay

1x wireless contact switch

FIRST LEVEL:

Guest Room 1:

2x 3buttton keypad

4x inline dimmer

1x Panasonic Plasma

Guest Room 2:

3x inline dimmer

1x 3button keypad

Study:

2x 3button

1x HC 200

1x SR 150 remote

4x inline dimmer

1x Panasonic plasma

Bedroom 2:

2x 3button keypad

5x inline dimmer

1x HC 200

1x SR 150 remote

Study 2:

1x 3button keypad

1x HC200

1x SR 150 remote

2x inline dimmer

1x LCD

Server room:

1x inline dimmer

1x DSC pannel

1x HC 300

1x HC 1000

1x C4 4zone amp

1x SR 250 remote

1x Popcorn hour

1x C4 I-Phone

2x LHD 88 8source 8zone video distribution

3x composite to componant Balun

1x 2 ch satelite decoder

1x HD satelite decoder

1x VCR

Passage for guest rooms:

2x 3button keypad

2x inline dimmer

Passsage 2:

2x 3button keypad

2x inline dimmers

Awesome! I can imagine the feeling of lights coming on/off as you pass through zones at night. Nice "rack" by the way. Gorgeous view from the house as well. Got to talk the owners into energy-efficient panels though. BTW, how is the price of electricity over there?

Motion detection could have events filtered during the night hours so that a "Timer" type event could trigger the light in the room for say 10 seconds, and then reset. If you were to be in the room longer than that, you could then hit the dimmer on the wall to do a standard lighting "On" control. I am in the planning stages of a similar process where the motion detectors are a "Security" feature when I am not at home. This will now give me something to think about. This will actually make the idea more productive by having a dual purpose. What wifi or wired motion detectors are recommended on control4?

My wife will love this feature. She is always going to the bathroom in the middle of the night and has these "nightlights" everywhere so she can see where she is going.

Ronbo

If you want the motion sensors to actually do security, as opposed to a 'security feature', I'd suggest you install a supported security system, and it's motion sensors, which you can then use as programming in the Control4 system.

RyanE

The card access ones work great, they check for motion much more frequently than security alarms do.

GE motion detectors will wait three minutes after detecting motion before they check again. I believe you can have card access report if there is STILL motion as often as very second. That makes occupancy sensing much easier, but probably tough on the batteries.

I'm sorry, that is what I thought/meant to say.

I am trying to decide where my motion detectors would be located in a few different rooms. And now with the "Following Me Light" concept that just popped into the idea, I want to make sure that I get a compatable brand for my security system; which in turn will also allow me to pick up the event signal on the control4. I don't have any of the relay/contacts left on C4, because they are all used up on other things. I am not yet commited to any specific security brand at this time. Hence the question, which brand should I lean towards?

The card access units are wireless. For occupancy detection those are going to work much better, I just don't know how well they will integrate with your security system.

With regard to your question though, my understanding is the GE Concord 4 is the way to go. That is what I am going to do when I get around to a security system....it isn't that high on the priority list though.

The card access ones work great, they check for motion much more frequently than security alarms do.

GE motion detectors will wait three minutes after detecting motion before they check again. I believe you can have card access report if there is STILL motion as often as very second. That makes occupancy sensing much easier, but probably tough on the batteries.

What?! 180 sec scan rate? Are you sure?

That is what I was told by my dealer. He said that once motion is detected, it won't check for motion again for 3 minutes. I think until it senses motion it is always looking for it, but once it has been sensed it waits three minutes to check again.

As explained above, that doesn't mean it only check for motion every three minutes, leaving crooks 2:59 to ransack your home before they stand still for two seconds.

It just makes occupancy sensing difficult using those.

Maybe it only reports back to Control4 every three minutes. Whatever the reason, it was explained to me for occupancy sensing and Control4 your security motion sensors don't work very well.

Any latency is between the sensor and the panel. When a panel has sensed a zone open or zone close, they transmit it immediately to Control4.

I've only used hardwired security sensors, which work the same as any other hardwired motion, whether it's tied to the security system or directly to Control4 gear.

RyanE

whell here we just used the existing motion sensors from the alarm system and hard wired them into the control4 system , the easiest way is to hard wire an RS232 unit (IT 100) into the DSC Security box, and just add that into your programing. then comes the long task of naming and identifing all the motion sensors, but at the end of the day it is worth all the effort.

If you have a GE Concord 4 panel, after the security guy sets up names for all the zones, the Control4 system creates all the zone bindings automatically for the dealer, and names them the zone names.

Of course, they still need to be bound to 'software sensors', but it makes it easier.

RyanE

Archived