C4 Forums | Control4

The programming nuances of a TV with toggle on/off.

dinosaur

I have a few TVs that do not have discrete on/off IR codes available (anywhere that I've looked and I've looked around a lot).

So I'm wondering how my dealer or I can best handle the times when this is an issue (which is few but significant when it occurs).

Any algorithms that people have devised to keep track of the power state of these devices would be greatly appreciated.

Good suggestion RE: composite video sense except that I have Component baluns running to these remote tv's. Is there a way to use the component sensing?

The outlet switches would be a solution as a second alternative.

My question is really aimed at learning about any programming that people have done to "follow" the power state of the tv through various uses.

However, if the component sensing is possible then that would be a great solution.

Thanks.

Good suggestion RE: composite video sense except that I have Component baluns running to these remote tv's. Is there a way to use the component sensing?

The outlet switches would be a solution as a second alternative.

My question is really aimed at learning about any programming that people have done to "follow" the power state of the tv through various uses.

However, if the component sensing is possible then that would be a great solution.

Thanks.

you can use the video sense "loop" for component, it may degrade signal with a balun setup. For local use I have done this, works particularly well on the Nintendo Wii.

I have 2 Vizios without discrete on/off (I contacted Vizio directly) VO22L

I have a sharp LC46D64U

I think it's a moot point now. My dealer has experimented with the POWER_STATE variable and it follows the TV's on/off state predictably so he is going to use it for some minor programming. He's going to pop up an IP camera image in navigator and if the TV was off then he'll return it to off but if it is ON then he'll return it to it's video device prior to the popup.

Because POWER_STATE is following the TV's on/off state well, he has confidence that his programming will work out fine.

Does anyone here have information on that variable that contradicts my dealer's intended use of it?

I have a sharp LC46D64U

I would be VERY surprised if the Sharp discrete on/off codes from remote central don't work on your TV. I contacted sharp looking for them, and was told the TV doesn't support it. The codes I found on remote central are for another model, but they work perfectly.

Give that a shot. Let us know how that works.

With regard to the Vizio, that is lame. I can't imagine it would cost anything to implement that functionality, could it?

You shouldn't have bought Vizio's in the first place... you'll now spend more 'trying' to program the system to run them, than you would have if you'd bought something better. Not to mention that they are 'disposable/ un-repairable'... plus the pic quality loss is huge.

You shouldn't have bought Vizio's in the first place... you'll now spend more 'trying' to program the system to run them, than you would have if you'd bought something better. Not to mention that they are 'disposable/ un-repairable'... plus the pic quality loss is huge.

That is GREAT news!.....NOT.:(

Do the latest line of Sony TV's work well?

I'm just about to buy a couple of them.

Best TV I have found is the Pioneer Elite. Picture quality is amazing, they work perfect either over serial or IR, have discrete on/off and discrete inputs, and can be purchased for less than the Sony TV's. I have never seen a TV with a better picture.

I read not too long ago that Vizio is numero uno in LCD panel sales besting even Samsung. Certainly, price is a huge factor.

True, but how many people actually care about *real* PQ (not "Oh wow look how awesome the electric colors are") much less calibrate their sets when they get them home? Some people complain that my Panasonic 800 THX is too "dark" but hey that's the THX setting and it looks more natural than the Vizio hanging in my bedroom.

Sorry to knock Vizio, but here's a real world situation I had with them.

A little over 2 years ago, back when Vizio was just making it's mark in the Costcos and Wally Worlds, I had an existing client come to me and say "hey I just bought a second home in Vail, CO... I hope I didn't make a mistake but I bought 7 Vizio's because of the price... will you go up and install them?"

Well of course I went and installed them, not knowing what the future would hold. Since then I have been back 3 times, replacing 3 of the 7 with Toshi's. When the 1st one died I took it to my local TV repair man in Denver. He took one look at it and said "sorry, they don't make parts for those. Unless I find another dead one that has THAT PARTICULAR PART still good inside it, you're SOL".

Disposable TV's... lame.

Edit: Here's a good analogy... buying prepaid cell phones from 7-11. Funny enough, but now take that phone and try to sync it with Outlook... LOL!

• 1 month later...

once you do the TV load "learning" on a wireless outlet switch, and edit the TV driver to make sure there is no check for TV power, or toggle. How can you now program a remote, or a device to turn the TV on and off?

Archived