C4 Forums | Control4

Looking for Samsung TV Opinions - LN55A950, UN55B8000, or PN63A650?

akg4y

Im trying to decide on one of the following and would like to know if anyone has any pros-cons for any of the models other than what Ive detailed below and other than the standard LCD versus Plasma debates:

LN55A950 ($3400+) - LCD, 120Hz, local dimming for better contrast ratio with less blooming, has RS232 but samsung site says only for service.

UN55B8000 ($3000+) - LCD, 240Hz, LED edge lighting so no local dimming, slightly more blooming, more stylish, thinner, about 80 lbs, glossy screen can have glare issues, no RS232

PN63A650 ($2700+) - Plasma, much bigger, much heavier (182lbs.. too much for most cheap TV mounts), glare is an issue, uses much more power, has RS232.

or... rumor has it that Samsung will be coming out with newer versions of the previous LCDs (550/650/750/850/950 etc) in September which will have local dimming, 240hz, etc, but I dont know for sure.

Also, where can I figure out if each of those TVs have discreet codes for on/off, inputs, etc, and anything else that would be important for C4 integration? How useful is having the RS232 control versus using IR control?

Just my .02, take that money and buy the Pioneer Elite Plasma. Best TV I have ever owned, I have three of them.

They work great with either serial or IR, have discrete on/off and discrete inputs. Plus, they can be found for less money than those samsungs.

While I certainly would not jump on the new big LEDs for $3500, i don't know as if I'd start investing in plasma at this late stage... I will be the first to say I enjoy my Pany plasma over any of my LCDs but I'm looking to phase it out nontheless.

I dont think plasma is dead yet, a lot of people still think (myself included) that the new plasmas still have the best picture quality but at the same time the downside of the weight and glare issues are the reason I even have a debate. My brother in law has a 60" pioneer elite plasma and to be honest I think the new Samsungs are toe to toe with it, but the Samsungs look more sleek to me.

Plus, Im seeing the 60" Pioneer Elite as 4.5k minimum, which is more than I want to spend... and 50" is too small for my room (We actually want 58-65, but will have to settle for 55" if we do LCD).

:) Im not saying Samsung is better, but for the price to me the Samsungs are a better value... Pioneer is by most accounts the cream of the crop, but when it comes to technology I rarely pay the premium for that since it gets surpassed by the mainstream within a year or two. Id rather spend 2.7k on a 63" Samsung plasma now and get a new one in 3 years if I want (doubtful) than spend 4.5k on a 60" Pioneer and wait 5-6 years for a new one. Of course these things are all relative to disposable income etc, if I made 3 mil a year I could probably care less, but for me a 2k difference in price isnt worth what is likely a miniscule difference in picture quality that I will be blissfully ignorant of without having the two sets side by side.

Archived