C4 Forums | Control4

Best Practice for Setting up New Network

Time2Jet

I have been running an Orbi mesh network and had been having some fairly strange issues that are irrelevant now since I’m swapping the network out. Some pretty wise people here have been so awesome since I joined and have suggested I look at more C4 compatible solutions (Thank you always to [mention=129290]msgreenf[/mention] [mention=134353]dcovach[/mention] & [mention=122177]dawngordon[/mention], just to name a few... you guys make this forum one of the best forums I’ve ever been a part of - and I know there are many others that are also so generous with their time and expertise).

That out if the way, I have a central rack room for all of my a/v equipment, C4 Director and automation hubs. I have a NETGEAR - Nighthawk 32 x 8 DOCSIS 3.1 Voice Cable Modem as my modem (I wanted to own my equip so I could control my DHCP table and I also needed dial tone, so this is the only modem that will allow that by Comcast). I pay for the fastest internet they offer. The modem now feeds internet to the Orbi and a D-Link 24 Port Gigabit Switch (DGS-1024D). I have an Orbi satellite (not hardwired).

So... I just bought 4 Pakedge WX-1’s. Four should be overkill, but I’d rather be over than under. My home is 2800 very cut up SF at the ground floor with an 800sf loft over 1/3 of it.

Can someone lend me their expertise on best practice for setting up this network. The Orbi’s will be sold. I don’t want to swap out my D-Link (just a hassle, but I can), I assume I’ll need a Pakedge router (RK?)... switch? (I need 24 ports). I’m really ignorant to this whole access point situation. I am willing to spend whatever it takes to setup the best possible network utilizing my existing modem and the new WX-1’s.

I’ll also be separately posting regarding my security system, fireplace, garage, motion sensors etc. Dawn & Mitch have suggested some products that they have integrated well. My research of their suggestions has led to more questions. I’ll post that all separate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update:

I have been researching and gathering items in an attempt rebuild a solid stable robust network environment for my C4/AV/Automation. This will be my setup (quite a step up from an Orbi Mesh System that I was so darn excited about! - live and learn) and what I have sourced so far.

Internet Provider: Comcast Xfinity
Service: Gigabit
Modem: NETGEAR - Nighthawk 32 x 8 DOCSIS 3.1 Voice Cable Modem
Router: Pakedge RK-1
Switch: Pakedge s24p8 24 Port Gigabit 8 Port PoE with SFP
WAP: (4) Pakedge WX-1
Cabling: CAT6A

Still researching NMS, but I should have BakPak and I assume that’s all I should need.

Am I missing anything? I possibly could use another switch, so would I be able to use my existing D-Link 24 Port Gigabit Switch (DGS-1024D) for less critical connections?

I don’t expect I will have the most current, best network. But I’m hoping what I will have should be solid, stable and fairly robust.

It’s been a minute since I’ve really had to think about a “network”. I can remember setting up a few NetWare network in the late 80’s. It’s very intimidating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been trying to read up a bit on Pakedge access points and switches, but something that’s not entirely clear to me is how one actually gets full bandwidth throughout the system.

If I have a gigabit POE+ switch connected to the rest of my network, all wireless devices will share a single gigabit connection to my QNAP NAS which has a 10 gigabit card available.

Furthermore I’m not sure how the access points would provide the stated 1.75 gigabits on a single Ethernet connection.

Am I missing something?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.