C4 Forums | Control4

Bridging

ronbowalker

I have been going thru many. many posts in reference to "Bridging", mostly wirelessly. And I need some more detailed info if you don't mind.

I have a detatched garage that I want to place an HTC in for Lighting, Overhead Door, and Door Position functionality. This out building is 30 feet fron my existing home, and zigbee is struggling to get from building to building. Classic issue I am sure....but what is the detailed proceedure to "Bridge" this wirelessly? I have a D-Link WAP to use out there if it is of any use here.

My LAN:

I have a flat panel high-gain antenna with (1watt booster) that floods my home very well, and is attached to a Linksy WRT54G WiFi Router. Of course I have a switch connected to the WiFi Router, and all my cameras(1), PC's(3), and Media Controller(1) are connected to that. So that is my LAN. All work very good, and my wifi is very strong on my 10.5" TS all over the house. Media Controller is currently the Server, and channel is I belive to be 14. I cuurently have the HTC on my network and is using the USB port as the screen saver database port. Moving it to the garage will not be difficult, but I will need to get my dealer to log in and make the necessary changes to the current Director settings for the modifications. Not a problem there.

Input is appreciated at this point.

Use two wireless access points of the same make/model that are capable of bridging. Put one in the house, the other at the remote location. Wireless N models may be able to cross this distance without antennas, but your site may vary. I used 5.4Ghz 54g bridges at the Ranch to avoid interference with wifi, cordless phones, microwaves, etc in the 2.4ghz range.

Thanks....

It looks like (2) alike Wifi WAP/Routers are what I need to get.

I will disable the DHCP on the REMOTE one, and leave the MAIN one enabled for DHCP assignments.

I will use a the LAN side of the REMOTE Wifi Router unit to connect the HTC to, creating a small LAN of its own.

I will have the dealer set the HTC channel to 10. (Media Controller is on 14, I think).

I will have dealer set the Zserver "enabled" on the HTC in the REMOTE location.

I will have dealer put the zigbee devices in the REMOTE location on the HTC.

I will set both units to "Bridge" mode.

What about Director on HTC...."enable" or not?

I am sure the dealer will know the answer to that, but I would like to know what he is saying is the real truth when he goes thru the motions. This is a brand new dealer, so I am in the "qualifying" process with him. I want to be sure that I am getting a good and knowledgable person working on my nickle. I have heard too many bad stories and I don't want to be telling one myself. So for all the respectable dealers out there.....I respect what you do, and keep up the good work. The rest...we are watching.

How does the HTC on one end know when a TS on the Media Controller end has sent a command; and it has to do with the REMOTE location light dimmer? Or am I wrong in the channel numbers being different on the two controllers? This is the area that I am confused with.

Is this a Control4 acceptable layout?

Thanks for the assistance on this issue. Any further assistance will be appreciated.

One director per project, so you wont enable it on the HTC in the second location.

It's all connected to the same network with the bridge, with one director the commands are sent through the network to the main controller running the project.

Everything else on my previous post is correct then, right?

Thanks again for getting me up to speed on how this stuff works. It makes me look smarter when my wife asks me questions....you know the rest.

Any recomendations as to a good and redily available Wifi WAP/Router that will do bridging?

WAP54G looks good.

I have a high-gain flat panel antenna on my WRT54G right now. I will leave that in place and connect this WAP54G to the LAN port on ithe WRT54G, right?

And the second one will go out in the exterior building. Both set to "Bridge" mode.

I can set this ethernet connected WAP54G down at the far end of the house where it is much closer to the exterior building, making a connection should be a no-brainer at that point.

You are very helpful, and I hope to be of assistance in a question you may have in the future.

Thanks....I need to get my dealer to schedule me up for a programming session online.

Yeah, that's pretty much it.

But the WRT54G isn't a recommended router, in fact they say to avoid it at all costs as the "brain" of the control4 network. For what it's worth you might try another router to see if you get any difference in system stability or speed.

I have read that somewhere as well.....but I already had the unit and it seems to be working great in my house right now. I just picked up (2) WAP's as we talked about, as well as a 4-port hub to use with the HTC out in the remote building. I will be doing an upgrade to the ethernet switch I have and maybe the WRT54G will be upgraded then as well. But, with the high-gain antenna attached, and the second one removed from the back of the unit, all works fine and is very fast. I have not gotten into the audio and video portions of Control4 at this point, so I will see what happens when that section comes into play.

I am looking forward to getting these pieces set up and programming done. My dealer is ready to rock and roll any time this week and I hope to be playing with the new configuration by the weekend.

Thanks again....

I only have the HTC and WAP on it, so is it really a big issue?

On what, your router? Or the bridge? Should be fine for the bridge.

I did mean to ask what will the outcome be when I put an IP camera out there....am I going to be fine with this configuration?

The outcome should be, that you can access anything you put on the network out there, in your house. All we're doing is bridging a distance. I've got two of these bridges at the Ranch using commercial 5.4GHz outdoor antennas and it works fine. The network is one big geographically seperated family.

(wired network)-------wifi bridge------(wired network)

I have grasped the concept to this point, I just have never done one of these before and glad to be doing one on this project. I like learning new things and this is one that I can put in the bag as soon as I actually get it running. The Ranch project was cool, I checked it out. Nice job. You are good at what you do.

Enjoy your evening....and again, thanks.

All set up and was wondering if I am ready for the dealer: He had to reschedule due to an install getting some change orders.....he is supposed to call me tomorrow.

1. (House & Remote Location) WAP54G on goth ends are "Bridged" properly. All devices are pinging very good.

2. (Remote Location) 5-port 10/100 switch for the WAP54G and HTC1 to connect to.

3. (Remote Location) a D-Link WL2100AP WAP connected to the 5-port switch for HTC1 to communicate to my two light dimmers.

4. (Remote Location) Dealer will set HTC1 to channel 10, and he will set my two dimmers to 10 as well.

5. (House) Director will only be running on my Media Controller.

6. (Remote Location) Zserver on HTC1 will be turned on.

Question 1: I made the assumption that the D-Link WAP will be needed to get the HTC1 to communicate with the dimmers....but is this true? Will it cause overlap with the house?

Question 2: Anything else I might want to do or know?

No, you dont need a WAP at the remote location as the dimmers communicate via zigbee. You could use it for your laptop, a wifi touchpanel, wifi speakerpoint (maybe), though. Not likely to cause issues unless your buildings are close enough to overlap wifi signals. If you dont need it you can take it out and not worry about it.

I understand that the dimmers communicate via zigbee to the HTC1, but how will that zigbee be received to the HTC1? Does the HTC1 have a zigbee receiver built in? Or will the WAP54G still be able to make this "zigbee link" even though it is in bridge mode?

Also the Uplink port on the switch....will I use this port for the WAP54G in the remote location?

The D-Link WAP is 50ft from the house and does overlap into the interior. So I will remove it to prevent conflict.

The HTC gets the project information and commands over the ethernet bridge. If you need to talk to the dimmers on that HTC, the command is received by ethernet then translated to zigbee by the HTC and sent on it's merry way through the radio.

What switch do you have that has an uplink port?

5-port Linksys Workgroup Switch (Best Buy) $29.00, 10/100...My dealer just did the programming.....I will now install all the devices where they go, and I will post results shortly. He says that Uplink port is not important and will work either way, with or without. We are ready to rock and roll....

Update coming soon.

All is done....

Bridging was a snap, Dealer did his magic, and everything is working great. This has been a cool "Wifi Bridge" project. Now I am ready to expand on the layout and get at least one IP Camera in and a roll up door working. So thanks again for all of your input, my dealer did everything exactly the way he was supposed to and everything went perfect! Gotta luv it.

Keep up the good work...and by the way...what does SOHO stand for?

Archived