C4 Forums | Control4

Looking to hire experienced C4 designer

I'm 1/2 way through installing a not-so-small C4 system. Have a local dealer who is helpful with the basics but is new to C4.

I'm pretty experienced in the basics, and have so far designed 16 audio zones using 3 C4 amps, but fall short when it comes to video switching and backbone networking. So I'd like to hire someone to supplement this experience to work with me to finalize a video design as well as the ethernet design so that C4 co-exists well and efficiently with the computer network.

I like to document things well, and have produced spreadsheets and visio drawings so far and find that's a good way to communicate via email and phone. I've done this successfully with my solar-assisted radiant heating system using a "tele-designer" and was glad I did.

It's new construction and have been holding off on sheetrock until this is completed, in case additional cabling might be required. But have run at least 2 Cat6 and 3 cat5e to every video location from the central equipment room. This is our last home and plan to live in it for decades, so I want to get it right from the get go.

Thanks!

Post the documents and drawings.

With 2 Cat-6 and 3 Cat-5 to each video location you are well covered for any video distribution that is known to man. You might consider running some conduit to some locations.

You may also want to consider running component video, since for now at least HDMI distribution can have issues. Also, in my case I wish I had also sent 1 data cable to each TV location for the new TVs that connect to internet, and also 1 extra cat5e for IR or RS232 control.

My dealer didn't even do wiring- he had the alarm guy do it who isn't a dealer.

We have instances in which we spec out what wire needs to be pulled where depending on the job, and give that to the subcontractor that the home builders want to use. Then we come in and test it before putting the gear in. Of course, if there's a problem with the wiring, then we have to go through the subcontractor or do it ourselves. But there are advantages and disadvantages either way.

Sometimes it is.

It would just depend on the dealer. The dealer certainly should *specify* the wiring, even if they don't install it.

RyanE

Right, in many cases we do run the wiring. Just easier to take ownership of that part of the project and ensure it's done how we want it done for the project.

^Couldn't agree more. So why would an EU sign-on a dealer that couldn't reasonable handle the entire scope of project?

I would imagine that it comes down to the $$$.

When I built my house the dealer and I talked about what I would need and I did the wiring. I actually ended up running conduit due to time constraints, then going back and running the wire. The only wire my dealer installed was the stuff that I couldn't get anywhere like miniRGB and what not.

I would imagine that $$$ is the biggest reason people don't have the dealer do the pre-wire. I had a friend get a quote to pre-wire his house at $20k!

Conduit? You lucky dog. $20K huh, well, in my neck of the woods that is the going rate.

Now, this $20k would get you everything prewire-related that goes into a new home- central vac (incl. the unit), alarm, 5CAT5e & 5RG6, speaker rings, A-B switches and L Pads, cctv, garage doors, cinema(s) 5.1 and 7.1 and trims.

Conduit? You lucky dog.

Yeah, I ran conduit all over the place. From the basement A/V room up into both attics, to several places on the second story, several places on the main floor, and I will run it all over the basement as well when I finish that.

It has been a life saver. I don't know how else I would get wire from the basement into the attic. What a nightmare that would be.

Oh yeah, regarding the $20k.

That was JUST for automation pre-wire, but it was for Crestron. It didn't include all that jazz, just automation. No hardware, mud rings, nothing....just wire.

That sounded quite high to me.

^Wow, sweet. I don't know when 1440 will hit and whether or not that will force a change in wiring or not, but you will be covered if you don't move first.

Yeah, it still is a lot of money but i do think that figure can be influenced by location. I didn't mention everything above (my memory fails me sometimes) but that price out here should get you the security hardware, punch-downs, telephone and a few enclosures as well.

^Couldn't agree more. So why would an EU sign-on a dealer that couldn't reasonable handle the entire scope of project?

I would imagine that it comes down to the $$$.

When I built my house the dealer and I talked about what I would need and I did the wiring. I actually ended up running conduit due to time constraints' date=' then going back and running the wire. The only wire my dealer installed was the stuff that I couldn't get anywhere like miniRGB and what not.

I would imagine that $$$ is the biggest reason people don't have the dealer do the pre-wire. I had a friend get a quote to pre-wire his house at $20k![/quote']

I think the question should be - why would C4 license a dealer that cannot handle the entire scope of the project! But then again - there are many dealers that cannot! I am on my 4th! First one went bankrupt and left me with an unfinished project, 2nd (a "Platinum Dealer") never showed after scheduling an appt. - was to referred to this dealer by the regional C4 rep (who took no responsibilty for the bankrupt dealer - basically told me I was SOL) 3rd one - great - finished the original project and did a great job - but - was going to learn "on the job" for other aspects of my project - irrigation, shades, programming a Denon AVR to get radio stations....

I love C4 (not the guy by that name) but - it is sure a hassle to find capable dealers - so I spend hours trying to find solutions...

Archived