C4 Forums | Control4

Integrating a MacMini into the switch

I would like to use my mac mini as a source for video (running Plex/XBMC) and put it on my rack. It has DVI out.

All of the matrix switches either are Component or HDMI (is there one that will take both types of inputs out there?).

Does anyone know how I can connect this into my neopro borrego switch to use with my system?

I tried to a DVI to component switch box that I bought for $200 from a local specialty electronics retailer which is supposed to allow digital to analog type conversions, but it doesnt work. When I search the apple forums, I have been unsuccessful in finding anyone who has a solution.

Thanks

bdo

I would like to use my mac mini as a source for video (running Plex/XBMC) and put it on my rack. It has DVI out.

All of the matrix switches either are Component or HDMI (is there one that will take both types of inputs out there?).

Does anyone know how I can connect this into my neopro borrego switch to use with my system?

I tried to a DVI to component switch box that I bought for $200 from a local specialty electronics retailer which is supposed to allow digital to analog type conversions, but it doesnt work. When I search the apple forums, I have been unsuccessful in finding anyone who has a solution.

Thanks

bdo

$200 adapter? I'm using a simple DVI-> Component adapter that came bundled with an ATI graphics card, works like a charm from my mini to my receiver.

• 2 weeks later...

use a dvi to hdmi converter cable (a few $) and input it into a hdfury2 blue edition, you will need a 5v power supply for this (comes with them depending on supplier - or The Source carries a good one that is regulated and has + on the outer ring and has the right tip (nokia sized) without having to cut the cable and re- splicing.

I have used them with most of the neopro matrix switchers perfectly (sometimes - on SOME firmware editions - you have to use powerstrip and change the EDID, very very easy)

the method i posted works (the adaptor cable or hardware piece is only to get a hdmi connector) - ive done it several times (over 20) , the gefen is a great piece but does not support HDCP , the HDFURY2 does (as well as all audio formats, with an optical output) and is HDCP legal ... the whole kit will cost you 150$ ...

we use this to distribute xbmc , MCE and bluray through component at 1080p (of course your panels have to support 1080p on the component inputs)

http://www.curtpalme.com/HDFury2.shtm

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011402&p_id=5035&seq=1&format=2

• 1 month later...

I have a Mac Pro with a Hanns-G monitor that only has an HDMI input. The monitor came with a cable that is DVI-to-HDMI.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11236988&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=〈=en-US

Wouldn't a cable like this work for hooking a Mac up to a reciever or other HDMI input device? But do they sell these cables separately anywhere?

There just has to be a budget solution to this problem!

bog, thats not really what bigdaddy is getting at. The dedicated matrix switches can take either 4 or 8 inputs and output them (at the same time) to any of 4-16 outputs, whereas your receiver will only output one at a time. Plus, the issue he is having is not the video switching itself, but rather connecting the mac mini which has a DVI port to a matrix switch (component or HDMI, and based on discussions most likely component) since component is an analog signal and the DVI is digital. There are DVI to component adapters, however those only work for certain DVI connections (DVI-I or DVI-A) whereas most computers have DVI-D connections, including most mac minis. In that case you need a DVI to component transcoder, not a simple adapter.

Archived