C4 Forums | Control4

How much should this install cost (ballpark)?

AK1

Hello,

I am planning my new installation and being my first system I want to make sure I am getting a reasonable price on the install.

I would appreciate it if any of the installers here can give me an approximate price range based on their previous experience on what this ought to cost. I am looking for an approximate price range for services i.e. cabling / rough in / install / programming / integration / testing. No equipment needs to be priced.

This is a major renovation back to the studs so it is essentially the equivalent of new construction with no retro wiring issues. House is 5,600 sq ft.

10 x LIGHTING ZONES (switches or dimmers as appropriate)

8 x AUDIO ZONES in different rooms (each audio zone will have two ceiling mount speakers and a manual wall switch to adjust volume)

INTERFACES

1 x 7" wired touch screen (front entry)

2 x LCD wireless keypads (master bedroom and rec room)

1 x 6 button switch (mudroom)

CONTROLLERS

1 x HC-300

AV EQUIPMENT

1 x C4 16 channel amp

1 x 1 C4 tuner

x C4 iPOD station

1 x DVD player / changer

HEATING

4 x LV thermostats

ALARM INTEGRATION

Connect C4 to serial interface on DSC P1832 so C4 system can arm alarm

GARAGE DOOR INTEGRATION

C4 system to open/close garage door

Regards...

Thanks for the pricing. I was wondering if I was going to get an answer on this and surprised at the lack so far. Did I make a faux pas in posting this sort of question?

Anyway, can you service a project in West Vancouver, Canada?

PM me if you want to follow up.

Best...

So, you think $4.5k should get his wiring job done?

No. I am just saying I think C4User (or whatever his name is) was serious about trying to get money from this guy.

I am in no position to quote this guy on what it should or shouldn't cost, but I think this guy is serious about trying to get his money.

Its really hard to give an 'estimate' of all of this, because the pricing varies extensively. If you are getting the wiring done yourself you are probably best off getting lots of estimates, including but not limited to the C4 dealer. You seem to know what you want already, but just in case I would price out the entire thing with a dealer, then get separate estimates for wiring. If the C4 dealer is comparable then I would just go through them, because then if something is missing/incorrect they will fix it. If the C4 dealer(s) prices are through the roof then just get the wiring done through someone else, you can always purchase the equipment from the dealer afterwards, or from one of the dealers on this forum, etc.

I put some estimates below, but it all depends on how long the runs are, and how complicated it is to get the wire to any given location. A run from one basement corner of the house to the opposite side of the attic will cost more than a run from one room to the room next to it.

10 x LIGHTING ZONES (switches or dimmers as appropriate) - Dimmers/Switches $129 each

This will be done by an electrician, Im not entirely sure how much this should run, but given the lack of work right now I have found the electricians in my area to working for much less than I had expected. I got 2 full days from 2 guys for $650. That should more than cover what you need done, plus the cost of material. Note than if you have any 3-way or 4-way situations then you need a dimmer at one location and a 2/3/or 6 button keypad at the others.

Hardware MSRP is here: http://www.shophhts.com/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=9&PHPSESSID=73e7fdbef7beeb2a5d5e8ef75a406f03

If you're buying enough you can usually get some form of discount off MSRP, or off installation costs if the dealer wants to sell 'at MSRP' for equipment.

8 x AUDIO ZONES in different rooms (each audio zone will have two ceiling mount speakers and a manual wall switch to adjust volume)

Basically you need 1 cat5e and a pair of speaker wires run to each location.

Estimate (wiring): $1000

INTERFACES

1 x 7" wired touch screen (front entry) - One cat5e wire

2 x LCD wireless keypads (master bedroom and rec room) - No wiring. I highly recommend the 4" LCD over the keypads though.

1 x 6 button switch (mudroom) - Electrical wiring, just need power to the switch.

Estimate (wiring): $100

CONTROLLERS

1 x HC-300 - 1 cat5e to this location

Estimate (wiring): $100

AV EQUIPMENT

1 x C4 16 channel amp

1 x 1 C4 tuner -

x C4 iPOD station

1 x DVD player / changer

HEATING

4 x LV thermostats

Not sure how the wiring is for this, depends on your HVAC units.

ALARM INTEGRATION

Connect C4 to serial interface on DSC P1832 so C4 system can arm alarm

No idea, but Google is your friend for a price on the unit for that. If you need to run wiring from the security system to the C4 equipment it will generally be a single cat5e for RS232 control.

GARAGE DOOR INTEGRATION

Best bet is to get a cardaccess wireless relay if you have 2 garage doors, cost is like $140.

You actually dont have much in the way of wiring, so the wiring costs should be minimal. Your main cost will be equipment which you can find MSRP prices on that link I posted above. Estimate 10-15% off MSRP plus wiring costs and that should be a reasonable bet.

I dont want to single out anyone, there are plenty of dealers giving that amount of discount with a volume purchase, just depends on how much you need, its like anything else. When I first joined the forum I was looking into C4 and asked about pricing etc and was told in no uncertain terms these are MSRP prices and this is what equipment is sold at. Thats simply not true, and would be price fixing if it was the case. Many dealers will offer discounts if you are making a larger order, the amount may vary, but just shop around. If the difference is small then Id say stick with your local dealer because you want them to stay in business and its good to have local support, but if youre buying 15k in equipment and they're still hitting you with the full amount then at least get quotes from others like you would when buying anything else. I can guarantee you'll get some offers to sell for less, and you can either go with them or give your local dealer a shot to match it at the least. Just make sure if you dont buy locally that whomever you buy from will do the programming remotely as long as you know how to connect things up and install yourself.

GARAGE DOOR INTEGRATION

Best bet is to get a cardaccess wireless relay if you have 2 garage doors, cost is like $140.

The CardAccess Garage door kit is about $400.00. You need a CardAccess relay and a CardAccess contact switch plus the magnetic switches for each door.

You might consider upgrading to an HC-500 rather thanuse the CardAccess switch and relayfor the garage door. The 500 has 4 relays and 4 contact switches. Use 2 contact switches and 2 relays for your 2 doors. This would require that you run wire from each door. The HC0-500 also has more serial ports, more audio ports and an internal hard drive.

Well, that is true if you dont have a security system, but if you have a security system that is integrated then it will be cheaper to just get wireless sensors for your garage doors to monitor if they are open or closed. If you just want the ability to open and close the doors then you dont even need to monitor the doors (like if you have a driveway camera or something that shows the doors for example).

In my personal setup I have the doors monitored via wired security system contacts (GE Concord 4) and a contact relay to open and close them.

Thanks for the great feedback. I am waiting on a wiring quote and I will share when it arrives. Programming is coming in at around $4K from a registered C4 dealer.

Archived