C4 Forums | Control4

110 Type versus 66 Type punch block

akg4y

Note that a patch panel has no interconnectivity between individual ports in the back, you patch individual pairs from the front, as needed. (as opposed to a punch block where it's easy to patch more than 1 pair together)

What are you trying to do?

I just have about 35 cat5e cables coming into my basement and rather than send them individually to each component or to the switches I wanted to tie them all to the patch panel then send from there to their eventual location. Itll just make everything a bit cleaner...

I just have about 35 cat5e cables coming into my basement and rather than send them individually to each component or to the switches I wanted to tie them all to the patch panel then send from there to their eventual location. Itll just make everything a bit cleaner...

That would indeed be the right use for a patch panel :) Just make sure you stick with the same wiring standard (whatever you pick A or B) across the board

Note that a patch panel has no interconnectivity between individual ports in the back, you patch individual pairs from the front, as needed. (as opposed to a punch block where it's easy to patch more than 1 pair together)

What are you trying to do?

Do you have a recommendation for a Naming/numbering scheme. I am planning a three story house with:

Streaming Video

Audio

IP Cameras

Security

C4 Control

Network Data

There's lots of good info out there but here's some easy/simple recommendations to make life easier:

- Color code your cat5e/6 cabling (all cabling actually) based on function. For example, I use red for network data, white for phone, blue for audio etc.

- Label everything, upfront. A label maker with white tape/black lettering will help a lot. Wrap labels completely around cables, at least 6inches beyond the end of the connectors (so they're readable when clustered together)

- On the patch panel use separate rows of RJ45s for each floor (12 or 24-ports accordingly)

- On the network switch side, I like to physically group patch cables based on VLAN

hope this helps

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey Doug I may just be believing marketing from a retail website here but as I understand it if you plan on using cat 6 it is best to make sure everything you use is rated for cat 6. Do you know if the panels are rated for cat 6 or if it matters?

Archived