C4 Forums | Control4

Minijack Connectors in various rooms - good idea??

AK1

Hi, one design idea for our pre-wiring project is to wire minijack connectors to each of our 5 bedrooms (C4 audio zones) so the kids can plug in computers, iPods etc as C4 audio sources. This would allow a child to play audio from computer or iPod in their bedroom or redirect it to another C4 audio zone.

Any comments on this from a design / best practices perspective? What kind of cable / connectors would achieve this?

Thanks...

It's not a bad idea, where it falls short is the 'control' aspect.

If you ran line level audio plus a CAT5, that would possibly allow for some control, and you could hook up something like the Control4 Dock for iPod, and put it's audio out in the mini-jack, and plug it into ethernet for control. Then the iPod could stay charging in the kids' rooms, and they could be listening to their music elsewhere in the house.

RyanE

As I consider things, I think it's probably better to take an "IP" view of this rather than running cable specifically for this use. Each of the kids rooms will have a computer with iTunes. I should put in Apple TV as a distributed audio/video source. It can "discover" and distribute the various playlists.

I still don't have a clear architectural picture for the video side of things but perhaps this should be a separate post...

It's not a bad idea, where it falls short is the 'control' aspect.

If you ran line level audio plus a CAT5, that would possibly allow for some control, and you could hook up something like the Control4 Dock for iPod, and put it's audio out in the mini-jack, and plug it into ethernet for control. Then the iPod could stay charging in the kids' rooms, and they could be listening to their music elsewhere in the house.

RyanE

there is the control aspect - as we run multiple cat5, not just one .... use baluns or active balancing wall ports as necessary

Archived