C4 Forums | Control4

Carrier Infinity Driver

We just remodeled our home and the HVAC company installed two full Carrier Infinity HVAC system that require the use of their own crappy thermostats. We have 6 zones in total. I was finally able to contact homeation and tested their driver and it was awful. Usually didn't work. Worst part was that they just ignore phone calls and emails. It took 3 weeks just to get them to reply to 6 phone calls and over a dozen emails. Their driver just doesn't work - is slow at best if it works at all.

I would sure appreciate any help with this. We so badly want to integrate C4 so we can control the air in our home from that system instead of the Carrier driver.

Thanks!!

I have the Carrier Infinity system installed in my home.  To get around all the issues of bad carrier app and ugly thermostat,  I just installed the C4 thermostats.  They control the carrier units just fine.  And obviously the thermostat is fully compatible with C4 since it’s theirs.   

3 hours ago, Jane M. said:

I have the Carrier Infinity system installed in my home.  To get around all the issues of bad carrier app and ugly thermostat,  I just installed the C4 thermostats.  They control the carrier units just fine.  And obviously the thermostat is fully compatible with C4 since it’s theirs.   

Right, but then you lose all the functionality and only reason for paying the infinity premium by dumbing down to the C4 tstat.  the C4 Aprilaire stats while solid, can't command multi and variable stage systems like the infinity or regulate the dehumidifcation process like the carrier stat.  I swapped out 2 of my 4 systems for infinity and since Homation driver that i bought doesn't work I just use the two separate apps for temp control.

I too was hoping I could use the C4 Thermostat or something other than the one required by the Infinity System. As others have said earlier, the Infinity requires the use of their own thermostat to take full control of the various features. It would be so nice to have it all integrated with Control4. Even worse is that the Carrier App is so awful and clunky to use. Only works in landscape mode, etc. I tried the Homeation driver but the first thing I noticed is that it didn't update anything in the C4 App. No indication of current temperatures. What use is that?

What are the features of this furnace that require the Infinity t-stat?  Is this a form of monopolistic behaviour on the part of Carrier to try to keep you from using third party thermostats as they have become popular in recent years?

What are the features of this furnace that require the Infinity t-stat?  Is this a form of monopolistic behaviour on the part of Carrier to try to keep you from using third party thermostats as they have become popular in recent years?

Variable speed fan

27 minutes ago, msgreenf said:
55 minutes ago, zaphod said:

Variable speed fan

Variable speed fan + Humidity control + zone control + CFM per zone control

1 hour ago, zaphod said:

it's the most sophisticated furnace and AC on the consumer market - all of the premium features are driven by their tstat head unit.  Unfortunately with a C4 tstat it will operate no better or differently than HVAC that costs 1/2 the price.  The only solution is using the Carrier tstat and convincing Liron Machlouf  of The Drivers Lab / Homeation to update his driver OR find someone willing to write a new one.  Carrier offers an open API for the infinity system.  It shouldn't be rocket science but there may just not be enough demand for anyone to take this seriously.  

All that most C4 users would need is a reliable way to see the current temperature and to be able to increase/decrease it. Any other specific features could be done in the Carrier App when needed which isn't often once set correctly. Just want to be able to see the current temp in each zone and adjust it. Sure doesn't sound difficult. Yes, Carrier does offer an open API which the homeation driver connects to for authentication/connection. It just doesn't work!

Everything you said is 100% true.  I dumbed down my system when I installed the C4 thermostats.  However (and just being honest) I can’t tell the difference.  It does the job of keeping my home at the temperature set.  I don’t know how many times the fan clicked on, or should have clicked on versus if the system was a smarter system.  It’s not something you keep track or even are aware of.  So it’s really just a mind game.   

When my thermostats break, I might get an Ecobee or some other brand That looks fun.  I’m sure they don’t support the high end carrier features either.  But the last thing I was going to do was put that clunky ugly carrier stat on my wall.  

There's a lot of talk about the Infinity system, most of the priority controls have to do with "maintenance info" not operation. As for the variable speeds and how it operates,, that could also be set with the dips. the priority thermostat sets that up automatically without having to adjust dip switch setting on the main board. Also not you have to rewire the thermostat to the main board when you switch the thermostat.

We had the infinity working with the infinity thermostat for many years. A couple of years ago I finally changed them all to Ecobee's and haven't looked back. All around comfort factor seemed to go up, and bills went way down. I also haven't had any issues with the Ecobee driver.  I do have a humidifier, but not zones running on each system.

• 9 months later...

I would just want the most simple functionality out of integrating Carrier Infinity and C4.  I would want to be able to see what the temperature is in each room, what the pre-sets are for heat and cool and to be able to adjust those pre-sets.  So the carrier controls would still be fully functioning, C4 would be instructing the inputs.  I don't know what the market is for this but it does not seem that it should be that difficult.  Are there still no solutions?

55 minutes ago, Gary Donner said:

I would just want the most simple functionality out of integrating Carrier Infinity and C4.  I would want to be able to see what the temperature is in each room, what the pre-sets are for heat and cool and to be able to adjust those pre-sets.  So the carrier controls would still be fully functioning, C4 would be instructing the inputs.  I don't know what the market is for this but it does not seem that it should be that difficult.  Are there still no solutions?

This is exactly what I want also. I hope someone could figure something out.

There is lots of interest, and seems like it should be straight forward given that Carrier opened up it's API, and the tstats work with Alexa, etc.  The Homeation driver hasn't been updated in 2.5 years, and doesn't really work.  The polling timing is off between the t-stats to Carrier Cloud to C4.  Even just the Carrier t-stat to cloud alone I've found the timing to be spotty, so it's not a surprise it doesn't really work with the driver. 

• 2 months later...

I also posted under Driver Requests, but would love to connect with one of the driver developers on this forum to see what it would cost to develop a driver for the Carrier Infinity system. I assume this is possible since we can control the system via the infinity app itself. Sure would be nice to have it in C4.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.