Jump to content
C4 Forums | Control4

Carrier Infinity Driver


Recommended Posts


3 hours ago, mstafford388 said:

Last I heard while the API is "open" Carrier wants to charge a fee every time a 3rd party driver hits their server, hence C4 not developing a driver themselves.  

Sounds like they belong in the "Wall of Shame" for smart home devices, along with Chamberlain.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 11 months later...
6 minutes ago, TDotDan said:

Has anything improved with regards to linking the Carrier Infinity system to the C4?

nope.  everyday i say to myself i'm removing my carrier infinity tstats from the wall and putting the old c4 ones back on...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, WisC4 said:

nope.  everyday i say to myself i'm removing my carrier infinity tstats from the wall and putting the old c4 ones back on...

Same here but even if we can rig that up correctly we lose carrier infinity features such as the variable speed fan and the system alerts. The worst part is how carrier offers eco bee thermostats for their regular line (not the infinity series) and eco bee integrates well with Control4. It’s really unfortunate that we don’t have any sort of solution.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Rob21 said:

Same here but even if we can rig that up correctly we lose carrier infinity features such as the variable speed fan and the system alerts. The worst part is how carrier offers eco bee thermostats for their regular line (not the infinity series) and eco bee integrates well with Control4. It’s really unfortunate that we don’t have any sort of solution.

I've nearly comes to terms with losing variable speed.  I'm not convinced I'm actually saving anything with the infinity system, and frankly, regret spending the extra money for infinity.  I think i'd really just rather have all of tstats controlled from C4 (i have 2 systems on C4 tstats and 2 on carrier infinity so depending on where i'm looking to change temp I need to go to the right app).  system alerts I suppose is important - I'm curious if I disconnect the infinity tstat if I'd still be notified of alerts on the mobile app, or likely not since the tstat is the brains of the system that also connects to to the network?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, WisC4 said:

I've nearly comes to terms with losing variable speed.  I'm not convinced I'm actually saving anything with the infinity system, and frankly, regret spending the extra money for infinity.  I think i'd really just rather have all of tstats controlled from C4 (i have 2 systems on C4 tstats and 2 on carrier infinity so depending on where i'm looking to change temp I need to go to the right app).  system alerts I suppose is important - I'm curious if I disconnect the infinity tstat if I'd still be notified of alerts on the mobile app, or likely not since the tstat is the brains of the system that also connects to to the network?

Agreed with the variable speed and the regret of purchasing the system. I’m pretty sure we would lose system alerts since the T-stats are what is actually connected to the network.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can anyone comment of the best current integration between infinity and C4? I’ve asked for this is the past and I know that there are very few people with the integration in the first place but I do believe that the integration with the SAM module works to some extent. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I actually got the email address of the carrier developer of their entire thermostat and network division. I will find it and include it here. Maybe if we all email we can get something going. Their app is beyond awful and slow and often doesn’t even work. I have two full systems with three zones per system. Hideous expense. Worst part of my remodel and smart home. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have two Carrier Infinity systems with 8 zones. Each system has both gas heat and variable speed heat pumps. If you do not have zones OR variable speed heat pumps, you might be able to get away with the non-infinity thermostat but you will still give up much more than variable speed control. You can find more on this elsewhere in this tread.

Regarding the app, I use it all the time and find it works great. If its not working for you, you might look at your home network for the cause.

I do not have the SAM, but I am thinking about adding it just to test the integration as I would really like to change schedules and temperature profiles via C4. If i do, I will let this forum know how it goes.

@samsmoothjazz please do post the carrier developer’s email here. If its a good email, I will share it with the driver developers on this forum and maybe we can get one of them to reach out to Carrier and collaborate on writing a new C4 driver that works off of the cloud API vs the SAM.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, C4 User said:

I have two Carrier Infinity systems with 8 zones. Each system has both gas heat and variable speed heat pumps. If you do not have zones OR variable speed heat pumps, you might be able to get away with the non-infinity thermostat but you will still give up much more than variable speed control. You can find more on this elsewhere in this tread.

Regarding the app, I use it all the time and find it works great. If its not working for you, you might look at your home network for the cause.

I do not have the SAM, but I am thinking about adding it just to test the integration as I would really like to change schedules and temperature profiles via C4. If i do, I will let this forum know how it goes.

@samsmoothjazz please do post the carrier developer’s email here. If its a good email, I will share it with the driver developers on this forum and maybe we can get one of them to reach out to Carrier and collaborate on writing a new C4 driver that works off of the cloud API vs the SAM.

Please let us know how the integration or contacting Carrier goes. Thank you!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Rob21 said:

Please let us know how the integration or contacting Carrier goes. Thank you!

I reached out to my Carrier dealer today and he responded from a cruise in the Bahamas :). I’m sure I am looking at the end of December or even January before I will get this done. Hopefully the functionality I get from this is worth the investment but we will see.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A couple of us have been working with Carrier and their dev team to begin development on a driver for Carrier Infinity since about July/Aug. Carrier presently has no internal owner of their Dev platform/API so responses can take a few weeks at a time. The application process to access this SDK is quite thorough and not trivial. 

We are in the final stages of applying and waiting to hear the status of our application to begin development for about a month now. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, tmj4 said:

A couple of us have been working with Carrier and their dev team to begin development on a driver for Carrier Infinity since about July/Aug. Carrier presently has no internal owner of their Dev platform/API so responses can take a few weeks at a time. The application process to access this SDK is quite thorough and not trivial. 

We are in the final stages of applying and waiting to hear the status of our application to begin development for about a month now. 

 

This sounds great! I think I will wait to see if you make progress. What is your best estimate of a driver if you get the carrier support you need? Please keep us in the loop! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, tmj4 said:

A couple of us have been working with Carrier and their dev team to begin development on a driver for Carrier Infinity since about July/Aug. Carrier presently has no internal owner of their Dev platform/API so responses can take a few weeks at a time. The application process to access this SDK is quite thorough and not trivial. 

We are in the final stages of applying and waiting to hear the status of our application to begin development for about a month now. 

 

This is seriously the best news I’ve heard on the forum. Please keep us in the loop. Thank you!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
On 12/2/2021 at 6:17 PM, tmj4 said:

A couple of us have been working with Carrier and their dev team to begin development on a driver for Carrier Infinity since about July/Aug. Carrier presently has no internal owner of their Dev platform/API so responses can take a few weeks at a time. The application process to access this SDK is quite thorough and not trivial. 

We are in the final stages of applying and waiting to hear the status of our application to begin development for about a month now. 

 

Any update on the driver? I really hope it works out for you (and all of us infinity owners).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/6/2022 at 3:07 PM, Rob21 said:

Any update on the driver? I really hope it works out for you (and all of us infinity owners).

Been pinging the Open API team for the last month and we finally got a response back clarifying something. I've got another (hopefully final follow up) email back to them with the last piece of information they needed. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/7/2022 at 3:16 PM, tmj4 said:

Been pinging the Open API team for the last month and we finally got a response back clarifying something. I've got another (hopefully final follow up) email back to them with the last piece of information they needed. 

@tmj4 any update on progress with Carrier? There is a lot of hope for this driver. Appreciate you pursuing this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Does anyone have any info on what one would not have access to if we switched the thermostats to Ecobee?

I have a 3 ton and 4 ton system. Each has a master thermostat and two slaves in other rooms = 6 zones total.

Would it even work with another thermostat? - my guess would be I would then have all three zones in each system be the same temp but maybe it's worth it??

These thermostats suck, the app sucks and most of the time changes I make using their own app don't make it to the thermostat.

I get so jealous seeing other C4 systems with an easy to use Thermostat - something that can be included in whole house programming within C4.

Almost to the point of just trying plan b instead of waiting for something that appears to be never coming...

Thx,

Sam

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, C4 User said:

@tmj4 any update on progress with Carrier? There is a lot of hope for this driver. Appreciate you pursuing this.

Good timing! Just got our access approved on Friday afternoon by Carrier. Had to go through some back channels to get it pushed along. Passed along some info late on Friday to our Control4 contact as it's needed for auth with Carrier. Will likely hear back tomorrow with hopes of starting dev work soon

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, samsmoothjazz said:

Does anyone have any info on what one would not have access to if we switched the thermostats to Ecobee?

I have a 3 ton and 4 ton system. Each has a master thermostat and two slaves in other rooms = 6 zones total.

Would it even work with another thermostat? - my guess would be I would then have all three zones in each system be the same temp but maybe it's worth it??

These thermostats suck, the app sucks and most of the time changes I make using their own app don't make it to the thermostat.

I get so jealous seeing other C4 systems with an easy to use Thermostat - something that can be included in whole house programming within C4.

Almost to the point of just trying plan b instead of waiting for something that appears to be never coming...

Thx,

Sam

 

100% These Carrier tstats and APP are garbage.  Nothing but trouble.  Wish I could use my C4 tstats...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I reached out to Alan Chow of chowmain - they make great C4 drivers to see if he was interested in developing a driver.

He replied today that he had reached out to Dan from Carrier and have yet to hear back from him about it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, samsmoothjazz said:

I reached out to Alan Chow of chowmain - they make great C4 drivers to see if he was interested in developing a driver.

We (Epic Systems) will be starting our development on a driver for the Carrier Infinity system soon (likely in the next week or so). We already have a signed developer/integrator contract with Carrier and will working with C4 to ensure proper end-user auth this week.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...