C4 Forums | Control4

IP control of PCH is possible, someone have the skills to integrate th

akg4y

There have been numerous previous threads in which it was mentioned that Syabas was near hostile to any requests to integrate PCH with C4 using IP control etc, but a user has developed such an interface:

http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showthread.php?tid=14107

Does anyone have the knowledge/programming skills to take this information and use it to let us control the PCH via our touchscreens and eventually get coverart etc?

Does anyone have the knowledge/programming skills to take this information and use it to let us control the PCH via our touchscreens and eventually get coverart etc?

I could be wrong but I think the only people that have the ability to write a driver that would integrate fully with the C4 gui is C4. I could be wrong, but I think that driver would need to come fromt them.

I didn't spend too much time looking at that (I use the netgear as opposed to PCH) but if someone simply cracked the communication protocol and it isn't something officially supported by them, I am fairly certain Control4 won't write a driver. The odds that a firmware update would break the hack would be too great, plus they would leave end users with the feeling it was supported when indeed it never was as there is no cooperation from the makers of PCH.

Just my thoughts and opinion.

I could be wrong but I think the only people that have the ability to write a driver that would integrate fully with the C4 gui is C4. I could be wrong' date=' but I think that driver would need to come fromt them.

I didn't spend too much time looking at that (I use the netgear as opposed to PCH) but if someone simply cracked the communication protocol and it isn't something officially supported by them, I am fairly certain Control4 won't write a driver. The odds that a firmware update would break the hack would be too great, plus they would leave end users with the feeling it was supported when indeed it never was as there is no cooperation from the makers of PCH.

Just my thoughts and opinion.[/quote']

My take would be that the overall interest in the PCH, particularly by the C4 userbase, is so large that any dealer willing to put in the time and effort to create such a driver would not only win over a lot of new C4 customers but if they wanted they could do what Alan Chow is doing and charge for the driver. Id be happy to pay another $50-100 to have a PCH integrated well into the C4 system. Even if C4 comes out with their own standalone media player they will not have the ability to customize and modify the PCH like the userbase has for that unit right now, which would still make the PCH the preferred unit for me.

I'd be interested in doing it , but I need to compare the 200 to the mvix. Pricewise, the mvix wins, plus the source code is already open. I'd only be interested in coverart through the GUI, to keep the seamless interface. However I'm not sure I'd invest in it at this time with 2.0 due out "sometime this year". I think it will dramatically change the way that we can create third party integration with the new UI.

Agreed, the only benefit of the C-200 over the MVIX is the fact that the C-200 will have a guaranteed large userbase with plenty of 3rd party applications developed over time. Cody do you have a current version PCH?

If you like I can keep you up to date with whatever I find/learn about the C-200 and current PCH IP control if you do not frequent the networkmediatank forums yourself already.

• 2 weeks later...
Didn't Alan Chow actually write an IP driver for PCH about a year ago (http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showthread.php?tid=7327) ?

Has anyone used it successfully ? I'd be interested in the implementation pro, cons and limitations if any./Dave

Yes, post #3 here.

http://www.c4forums.com/viewtopic.php?pid=16546

You have to "hack" it a couple different ways, and in the end it's very unstable and he quit messing with the driver, instead focusing on the XBMC driver.

A little birdy told me that the C4 version of a media player may be out by the end of the year and at about $299-399 price point, so all of this is probably moot.

Depends. We dont know anything about what it will play or do.

Archived