C4 Forums | Control4

V2 vs V3 16 channel Amp

D-gen

Can anyone tell me the difference between versions 2 and 3 of the 16 channel amp?

Do they perform equally or have their been substantial improvements? Are they both able to utilize the most recent firmware/ software upgrades?

I generally get the latest version when buying things of this nature however I am told there is no difference and stand to save nearly $800. for a new, warrantied item. (C4-16AMP2-B is the model number) If, however, there is no difference why release a version 3?

Thank you

There is a huge improvement on the v3 amp.

Let me explain a few:

The V3 Amp improves the Signal-to-Noise ratio and Total Harmonic Distortion by over 33% through a redesign of the analog input electronics. Parametric Equalization - Each zone has an independent 5 Band Parametric Equalizer. This provides much tighter control of tonal quality than simple bass or treble adjustments. Allows a room to be dialed into a particular set of speakers or listening preferences. Volume Control - Volume limiting per zone allows full control over the maximum output per zone. Improved volume curve spreads the usable volume control across the full volume curve (0 - 100).Improved Air Handling - Variable speed fans remain off when the unit is not driving speakers. At low to moderate output the fans remain off or are operating at lower speeds allowing for much quieter operation. Larger Heat Sinks - Redesigned heat sinks absorb and dissipate more thermal energy keeping the amplifier cooler for optimal performance. Power Efficient - The V3 amp consumes over 33% less power at idle than its predecessor. Plus the discontinued amp (AVM-16A2-B) is no longer available.

What is a "binding post"?

Something you pay your dealer $90/hr for... Wait' date=' that's for dimmers- never mind.[/quote']

If you're paying us our on-site labor fee, you get your money's worth. As an example, we installed this weekend for a user here about 85 switches/dimmers/2/3/6 button keypads, identified them, and had the faceplates on them all in about 6 hours. Along with 3 garage doors, an IP camera, and a driveway sensor. ;)

actually it was 88 switches/dimmers/2/3/6' date=' but whose counting.[/quote']

I did say "about"... :P

Wow. 88 switches in 6 hours. That is one dimmer/switch/KP every 4 minites and does not include all the other work you did. Was this new construction or a retrofit?

actually it was 88 switches/dimmers/2/3/6' date=' but whose counting.[/quote']

I did say "about"... :P

Wow. 88 switches in 6 hours. That is one dimmer/switch/KP every 4 minites and does not include all the other work you did. Was this new construction or a retrofit?

Retrofit. The switches were wired by two guys, and I followed them putting on faceplates and leveling. In preperation, the old plates were pulled off and all switches were labelled with a "S", "D", "2", "3", "6" before we arrived.

Plan the work, work the plan. We have a pretty good team. :)

Can you guys move to Richmond please... took my electrician almost 3 days to do about 80 dimmers/switches/2/3/6.

thecodeman had 3 guys doing the work so would that could be 3 men x 6 hours = 18 hours. He also did additional up front work. So it seems like the time is way more than 6 man hours to do the entire job which is what his original statement lead us to believe. Perhaps his team is good but I find it hard to believe that it took only 6 man hours of billable time it remove 88 switches, install 88 new switches/dimmers and KP's, add all those devices to a project and program them.

True, but my electrician had 2 guys the first day (2 x 7 = 14 hours), 4 hours by himself the second day, and 6 hours by himself the third day, total of 24 hours plus I did all the faceplates (because I didnt trust him to put on my shiny new OnQ Legrand Studio wallplates) and that didnt include tying them into the C4 system since he wasnt from my dealer.

Fortunately we had agreed to a flat amount for the work not an hourly rate so in the end he said he ended up doing it for less than he charges family....

Can you guys move to Richmond please... took my electrician almost 3 days to do about 80 dimmers/switches/2/3/6.

thecodeman had 3 guys doing the work so would that could be 3 men x 6 hours = 18 hours. He also did additional up front work. So it seems like the time is way more than 6 man hours to do the entire job which is what his original statement lead us to believe. Perhaps his team is good but I find it hard to believe that it took only 6 man hours of billable time it remove 88 switches' date=' install 88 new switches/dimmers and KP's, add all those devices to a project and program them.[/quote']

The customer is in post 11 :)

Fortunately we had agreed to a flat amount for the work not an hourly rate so in the end he said he ended up doing it for less than he charges family....

Have you ever hired a contractor that didn't bitch about the pay amount at the end of the job, citing it took more time than he thought? I know that I haven't. It isn't your fault the guy doesn't know how to bid a job.

Do you mean Va? And if so who do you recommend for the C4 purchases/installs? I am getting mixed reviews from a/v guys I know, though none of them are certified C4 themselves.

Does any one have a recommendation for Richmond Va?

Since this thread has been totally hijacked. I took off the face plates and put the labels on in under an hour with my drill. Codeman did say "we installed" it, so I don't think he was trying to mislead anyone. They did get them all replaced and identified in one day and took a lunch break. The Soho Shop doesn't mess around. I highly recommend them to anyone.

Archived