C4 Forums | Control4

Media Player that can work with C4

ladams

XBMC can also be installed on an Apple TV.

How much integration is needed anyways for a media player, anyways?

I'm thinking about just switching the source to my media player and using it's builtin interface for launching whatever I want to play. No need to have to launch a particular media file from within C4.

The reason I like the C4 interface so much is because it is clean, plus if you have videos stored in multiple locations (ie: sony 777 with 400 DVD's AND digital files) they are all in one place. With a popcorn hour your have to check that interface for your digital movies, and the Control4 interface for your physical discs.

Can't you see the link thecodeman posted above?

They are rock solid reliable, but they are expensive as hell.

I think they start at about $7,000. The good news is with the ZataBit you don't need a seperate NAS =)

I'm coming to the conclusion of not wanting to integrate my video media with C4. I'm unable to easily import my media into C4. Sure, C4 can scan my NAS, however I have to manually edit all the metadata information.

C4 does not read any of the tags on my media files to populate it's media library or cover art.

I use Boxee as my media player and it will parse the file names query Internet databases to complete metadata and cover art.

I would say out of roughly 130 digital movies I have, Control4 correctly found all the information quickly and accurately, including cover art, with the exception of 7 or 8. Those 7 or 8 I was able to get all the accurate info in about 10 seconds per movie.

Please don't take offense to this, but I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that you are in Canada. I don't see how it could, I would imagine your movies are the same up there, but with region codes and what not I don't know if that makes a difference.

I would say out of roughly 130 digital movies I have, Control4 correctly found all the information quickly and accurately, including cover art, with the exception of 7 or 8. Those 7 or 8 I was able to get all the accurate info in about 10 seconds per movie.

Please don't take offense to this, but I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that you are in Canada. I don't see how it could, I would imagine your movies are the same up there, but with region codes and what not I don't know if that makes a difference.

I have this same experience with my DVD .iso files. The ones that it didn't find, didn't have the information correct or at all in the ToC on the disk, or there were multiple movies/spellings of the same name.

No offence taken.

I store all videos on my NAS. They may be ISO images, VIDEO_TS folders, AVI M4V and others. C4 sees the files, however, does not show any cover art or metadata for each.

My collection includes movies and TV show episodes.

C4 does not show any metadata for the files.

No offence taken.

I store all videos on my NAS. They may be ISO images, VIDEO_TS folders, AVI M4V and others. C4 sees the files, however, does not show any cover art or metadata for each.

My collection includes movies and TV show episodes.

C4 does not show any metadata for the files.

Yeah, the .ISO files are going to be the ones that contain ToC information, everything else you have to get manually with C4.

I am just using DVD's. I use ANY DVD and copy the DVD into a folder that matches the movie name. I think this is .VOB's and .IFO files, but I am not the best with this stuff. I just know it works.

On a side note (kind of funny), of the 7 or 8 movies that didn't work, it thought 4 of them were Ben-Hur. I thought that was odd, and funny!

I am just using DVD's. I use ANY DVD and copy the DVD into a folder that matches the movie name. I think this is .VOB's and .IFO files, but I am not the best with this stuff. I just know it works.

On a side note (kind of funny), of the 7 or 8 movies that didn't work, it thought 4 of them were Ben-Hur. I thought that was odd, and funny!

I've had a bug before where it couln't access the AMG lookup or whichever service it uses, and it will get cover art for one disc, and then copy that info over to 400 dvds in the changer. Not fun.

So, are there any instruction I can follow on how C4 adds data about my files?

If I understand correctly, it will not lookup AVI, MP4 or other file types? It will lookup ISO and VOB/VIDEO_TS?

Is there anyway I can export all my metadata to file that C4 can import?

bog,

You can scan for .ISO, .AVI, .MPG, .MPEG, .ISO, .MP4, .WMV, .MOV, .XVID right from composer. But if it's not tagged perfectly, you have seen the results already. The lookups only really work with .ISO because C4 uses DVD style (Chapters, times, etc) lookups against the AMG databases.

Import/Export is done via .xml, so you can always use your own methods and just push the data over in .XML.

I'm using the 9150 and it seems to have the best native integration with c4. Music and Movies are just part of the standard C4 media screens and you can always use the native device menus if you don't want to deal with C4 media management.

Media management has really evolved since C4's initial release. DLNA will remove the need for scanning and I expect the next big release will offer much better media integration and information inside the native c4 navigator.

"If it's not tagged perfectly"

How do I tag my AVI files? They are tagged but are not being read. I'm using Composer HE.

Any specs on an XML I can generate myself and import?

In Reading reveiws on the 9150 They are saying that it won't support Blu Ray movies. ( Picture but no Sound) Did Netgear Fix this Problem

How are they playing the movies? .iso or another method? I have software that I use on the rip to put it into a format the 9150 will play just fine, shrinking the file size and not losing too much quality in the process. It just takes time (several hours) since you're re-encoding the video and runs better on a "high-end" system. I've used this method on both HD DVD and Blu-ray discs.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived