C4 Forums | Control4

Matrix vs 2nd AVR

Time2Jet

Guys - I’ve been struggling since November with consistent display via Zone 2 out of my Denon X8500 extended via a balun.

The balun is state of the art, so it’s not that, it’s just the whole “too many handshakes” and add a Roku Ultra (plagued with known issues when extended out of any Zone 2 on an AVR).

AVPro recommended (after a month of troubleshooting and replacing and upgrading the baluns) that I instead use an actual matrix.

I don’t necessarily “matrix” anything but a BluRay player. All other sources are dedicated to a particular Zone (TiVo’s, Roku’s, C4 OSD).

Zone 1 is solid. Never issues.

Should I bother with a separate matrix? It would be an AVPro 6x2. Or should I just add another AVR to act as the switch for the second display. That Zone has Sonos, so no need for amping any Audio just to switch and extend HDMI. I assume another AVR will perform fine with only 1 zone out and I could add a second BluRay (and still be under the cost of a good matrix) or add cheap 2x1 switch for the BluRay.

If it’s an AVR, I know Denon integrates beautifully... what else integrates well. Just need a very simple AVR capable of passing HDR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sorry.  Can you explain what you mean Mitch?  It really shouldn't apply at all here.  If you are saying that since I can program any input to output to either of the displays, then yes... matrixed.  I don't do that (except in the existing case of the BluRay and that's going away).  If I DO actually do a Matrix, versus a second AVR to combine and send output the the Master, then agreed, it would be possible to grab any source to either display.  But again, I don't need that other than it would save me an HDMI splitter or a Second BluRay.

If I add a second AVR here's how it looks:

AVR 1 - Living Room

Sources - TiVo 1, Roku 1, C4 OSD, ATV 4K 1, BluRay 

AVR 2- Master Bedroom

Sources - TiVo 2, Roku 2, ATV 4K 2

If I decide I need THAT particular BluRay to the Master, I will I will use a 1x2 splitter, otherwise I'll buy a second BluRay.

In a matrix situation, I would be able to grab any of the sources and output them to any display.  I don't have any interest in  that.  I was using the AVR to really just combine the sources dedicated to each room to send out via HDMI to their destinations over baluns.  When I think "Matrix" I think how I had the BluRay (could be output to either Zone).  

The entire reason for this is that Zone 2 on any AVR is troublesome at times.  You may never have an issue, or they could be plaguing.  Mine are plaguing.  And I have great EDID management and still have issues.  The matrix eliminates all of that as does the second AVR route.

What am I missing?

58 minutes ago, time2jet said:

Ok. So back to my question.

How much will I gain from a quality matrix versus just adding a second AVR to feed the sources out to the Master?

a quality matrix will have much more edid management option. This will allow you to help compensate for long runs edid issue between devices and sources.

Thanks Matt, Mitch. That’s what I thought would be the suggestion.

Last month I replaced the two AVPro EX100-444-KIT gen1 with gen2’s (better EDID management). AVPro has great support and sent the upgraded at no cost. That didn’t fix the issue, but now I notice I’m getting dropouts very sporadically (once an hour?) on one of the new ones. Where should I start? I figure easiest thing is to just swap the baluns (one is fine) and see if I can reproduce on the other display. Or if something in the path to the faulty zone is bad if the good balun acts up. This could either pinpoint or exclude the balun. This is always the hardest problem to solve short of a $2000 meter. I can’t win with this whole thing lately. Any tricks?

I spent some time yesterday with the balun situation.

As of this minute, things are working as expected. I copied the display EDID for each path and saved in the baluns. I’m sure at some point it will break again, but not today (fingers crossed). Until the November Roku updates, I had been golden for 8 months. For now, I’ll just wait for a break. Even though I’m now able to display to both zones with any input, there’s still some very sporadic 5 second dropouts. (2 this morning over about 3-4 hours). Zone 2 path only. I swapped the two baluns last night to eliminate a balun issue and I feel like I have, since I was still getting them via Zone 2 only. Denon issue?, cable runs to zone 2 or HDMI cables?, just not sure. I know it’s not necessarily the devices, because it’s happened on all of them. I did a skip back on the devices and they definitely were sending info during the dropouts. I don’t want to, but can live with this if I must. I wouldn’t want to have to swap each element one at a time and wait for results. I’d be 3 months of troubleshooting.

I’m likely going to add a matrix, direct HDBaseT or HDMI to HDBaseT, but that’s a big investment so I’ll hold out for a major break.

14 minutes ago, time2jet said:

I spent some time yesterday with the balun situation.

As of this minute, things are working as expected. I copied the display EDID for each path and saved in the baluns. I’m sure at some point it will break again, but not today (fingers crossed). Until the November Roku updates, I had been golden for 8 months. For now, I’ll just wait for a break. Even though I’m now able to display to both zones with any input, there’s still some very sporadic 5 second dropouts. (2 this morning over about 3-4 hours). Zone 2 path only. I swapped the two baluns last night to eliminate a balun issue and I feel like I have, since I was still getting them via Zone 2 only. Denon issue?, cable runs to zone 2 or HDMI cables?, just not sure. I know it’s not necessarily the devices, because it’s happened on all of them. I did a skip back on the devices and they definitely were sending info during the dropouts. I don’t want to, but can live with this if I must. I wouldn’t want to have to swap each element one at a time and wait for results. I’d be 3 months of troubleshooting.

I’m likely going to add a matrix, direct HDBaseT or HDMI to HDBaseT, but that’s a big investment so I’ll hold out for a major break.

are both the tvs connected identically speced feature wise? similar models/brands

you might try some 6ft cables its strange but it has helped me in the best with weird issues like that.

Interesting. I’m sure there is just about every size in our shop. Of course, for this very reason, I tried to keep everything as short as possible ...including the inputs physically closest to the outputs on the Denon. But I’ll try that Matt. It’s definitely an easy enough thing to try. Who knows?!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.