C4 Forums | Control4

Intercoms

Meyerssb

I am bidding a project right now where the owner wants to have an intercom throughout the house with room to room intercom/paging ability. I have tried a couple in the past but always ended up with limited success, as far as quality of sound. What do other dealers install? I have used GreyFox in the past, but I can't stand the crackle and pop that comes every time I push a button. I told him that Control4 will have this enabled at some point so that was an option, since we won't be doing the final trimout until July (probably?). Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Blake

Have you ever tried a Panasonic phone system for intercom. It really works well since you can program the one touch buttons to any extention you want. It can also page out to a sound system if you need it to or do an all call, etc.

We use the new TDA30 system and it works very well, it's easy to use and you don't have extra devices on your walls.

Jamman

jamman, I was looking at the Panasonic website and could not find the TDA30 phone system and the search came up blank. Is that the full part number? Has that been replaced by a newer system?

Have you used any of the front door products, doorbell/intercom/cameras? When you mention that it can page out to a sound system, I assume you are saying it could be an audio input to a Controller, Matrix Switch or Multi Channle Amp and send the intercom message over speakers. Have you tried this?

bwells, sorry but the US version is the KX-TDA50, and comes with 4 digital ports and 4 COline cards to start. You can add more extensions as needed and with the optional door phone card, you can add 4 seperate Door Stations. They show up on the tels as you call them in software(front door, garage door, side door, etc.).

There is a line level page output on the unit that can be connected to any audio system or matrix switch. Depending on the audio system capabilities, you may need to insert an audio sensor to get a dry contact trigger into the automation system to execute the switch to that source. We have done this using AMX, Elan, Vantage so far and it does work fine. The new Matrix Audio system Series8 has a paging input that will work with audio sensing. This make the page an automatic switch over. The Elan Z630 has this feature. The AMX switcher has audio sensing built-in as well.

As far as cameras, we normally do this seperately and distribute it using a video switch or modulator.

All the phones are speaker phones, so you may not need to use the page out at all. For outdoor use, we'll add a wireless handset or 2 to the system.

We normally add the TVM50 voice mail system as well. This gives you plenty of seperate voicemail boxes and also automated attendant features, etc.

Maybe try calling a local Panasonic phone system dealer to get the info you need. It might be a better solution to have them install it if you have never done one before. We have a deal with a local dealer that we swap products and expertise with. He needs speakers and audio stuff, we need tel systems, it works for us. We both take care of the installation on our own jobs. This system is pretty vast as far a features go, so expect a learning curve period. We installed one in our office to get familiar with it first.

Jamman

Archived