C4 Forums | Control4

Sony Blu-ray changer status update

thecodeman

"When we first got our hands-on the 400 disc MegaChanger pictured above we'd hoped it would be out a little earlier; but never the less the wait is almost over as Sony officially announced plans to release the BDP-CX7000ES in August, for the hard to swallow price of $1,900 -- about $400 less than rumored. The good news is that it does just about everything we can think of, like handle any Blu-ray Disc, DVD or CD with ease, and of course works with the latest codecs delivered via bitstream or LPCM. Now if you just have to have a Blu-ray changer, but wish it was half the price, you can wait a few more months for the BDP-CX960 for $800. You will however have to be willing to forgo things like RS-232 and IR-in, as well as the ES badge. Also shipping in August with the ES MegaChanger is the BDP-S1000ES. This standalone Blu-ray player is at the top of line and for $700 you get just about every feature and spec Blu-ray has to offer, as well as built-in WiFi and a DLNA client. The full details of all three are in the release after the jump. "

http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/23/sonys-blu-ray-megachanger-hits-the-streets-next-month-with-new/

A little ignorant on the subject, but given internet streaming (I am thinking Direct TV on demand) is the day coming when storing media will be a thing of the past. I have 2 777's, but would easily pay $5 to get "any" movie streamed to my Direct TV receiver - I know, I don't own it, but I bet I don't watch "the best" movies I own more than 3 times.

A little ignorant on the subject, but given internet streaming (I am thinking Direct TV on demand) is the day coming when storing media will be a thing of the past. I have 2 777's, but would easily pay $5 to get "any" movie streamed to my Direct TV receiver - I know, I don't own it, but I bet I don't watch "the best" movies I own more than 3 times.

I might say yes to this. I have two kids and yes they watch the same movie 5-10 times. These are moviees obtained through Vudu. Rarely am I asked to dive into the oldies stored on the 777.

Perfect - makes a lot more sense - no, we don't have kids yet, so I was not taking that into consideration. Still, for me, I guess I might buy "normal DVDs" and skip an upgrade. Could always fill the 2 777's full of kids movies and they won't care about the quality.

Thanks!

Will the BDP-CX960 work with control4? That would be awesome if it did for $800

It seems to be IR controllable only so it is possible to create a C4 IR driver to control it. I do not think that C4 will be able to query it to determine what disks are loaded because it does not have the serial port. You would probably have to manually manage the media database on the C4 system.

Will the BDP-CX960 work with control4? That would be awesome if it did for $800

It seems to be IR controllable only so it is possible to create a C4 IR driver to control it. I do not think that C4 will be able to query it to determine what disks are loaded because it does not have the serial port. You would probably have to manually manage the media database on the C4 system.

It's not that big of a deal if you load it and forget it or only add movies here and there. But if you're constantly changing discs (lending them out) it would be a pain.

I currently use the Sony CX995, which is basically the 777 without the serial port. When I add movies I add them in Composer, it is really easy. I never lend out my movies, they just stay put so it is no big deal at all.

I control mine with IR.

I currently use the Sony CX995, which is basically the 777 without the serial port. When I add movies I add them in Composer, it is really easy. I never lend out my movies, they just stay put so it is no big deal at all.

I control mine with IR.

Can you still access the Control4 menu in which it lists all of the movies by title, director, actor, etc? That was a big selling point for me when I bought Control4.

I currently use the Sony CX995' date=' which is basically the 777 without the serial port. When I add movies I add them in Composer, it is really easy. I never lend out my movies, they just stay put so it is no big deal at all.

I control mine with IR.[/quote']

Can you still access the Control4 menu in which it lists all of the movies by title, director, actor, etc? That was a big selling point for me when I bought Control4.

Yes, but you have to manually look up the info for each disk.

I currently use the Sony CX995' date=' which is basically the 777 without the serial port. When I add movies I add them in Composer, it is really easy. I never lend out my movies, they just stay put so it is no big deal at all.

I control mine with IR.[/quote']

Yeah, it works just like the 777 with only one exception. With the 777 when you enter a disc, it automatically searches AMG and stores the info for the movie. With the 995, when you enter a disc you go into Composer, go into media, search for the movie title and drop it onto the appropriate disc number. It takes less than two minutes. That is really the only difference. That, and about $400.

That is really the only difference. That' date=' and about $400.[/quote']

That ... and Availability...

RyanE

Interesting...which is easier to come by? Aren't both products no longer being produced and just available on the secondary market?

Archived