C4 Forums | Control4

Real Time link to iTunes?

c4newby

During a party I would like guests to be able to pull down music from iTunes and add it to a playlist currently playing over my Control 4 system in real time. Is this possible and, if not, how close to real time can i make it? Thanks.

Yeah, nothing magic about it that I can see. I installed and iPod dock near the front door. Guests check their ipod at the door and then can queue their favorites in as desired. I have my iPod docked in the rack and can switch back & forth through the evening. Only thing is it's either one or the other in the queue- not a combination of sources of course.

Reeeealy? I have not tried that. So, once up & running in Rhap I would then go over to the iPod and make my selection and add it to the queue? Thats it?

I don't know about that, I do know that you can combine MP3 files on a NAS and Rhapsody. I don't have a dock at the house to test at the moment. Gear in, gear out. :)

A solution that i use is it have an Apple airport express plugged into the c4 amp. Then you could stream music from your itunes library over your network. The only drawback is that you will have to have itunes up and running while you are using the airport. It may not be exactly what you are looking for, but it does allow you to play your itunes music through control4 without having to convert it and scan it into the controller.

• 1 month later...

Another popular option is to integrate a mac mini or appletv. You then have the added benefit of the Apple GUI for guests that are unfamiliar with C4, but are used to frontrow.

Example - program a custom button on your touchscreens or 6-button keypad in the guest rooms or common areas "Apple TV" or "Front Row." Selection automatically selects that component as source, and gives you the Apple GUI on-screen in that room.

Archived