C4 Forums | Control4

iTouch App and Control 4 Update

bigee1212

Hey guys. So I just bought the license for the iTouch app. didnt realize, but i have to update my Director, right now its 1.3.... the app needs 1.7

any way i can update it myself without calling the dealer? or someone else? it would def be much easier if i could just play with it asap! ahaha worst case scenario i call them.

No. You will need to have a dealer update your system.

How did you purchase the license? Only C4 dealers can sell the license. You can download the app free form the apple store to your phone but to activate it you will need to purchase a license from your dealer.

I am having an "authentication" issue. Purchased software, loaded by dealer via subscriptions, connected to controller -- IP address shows in the top right of the IPhone screen and details are in the about page on the iphone. When trying to authenticate with dealer on remote connection, the error comes back that I need a valid license or compatible version of the director. Current director version installed is 1.7.1.290.

So as a rookie I am confused and am hoping that I am missing something simple....

Thanks for any help or ideas.

well, no i went to this store on long island called 6th ave electronics. they are a control 4 retailer. i was able to pick up the license from them. essentially it was a dvd box with a activation code on the inside with instructions on how to activate the code online. . . honestly, too much hassle, at least i have the materials, ill just get the dealer to do it i suppose. thanks .

bigee1212

Even if you purchased he license from the dealer and have the activation code there is still the need to have the driver for the iPhone app added to your system and the need to identify the iPhone. Your system also needs to at the correct software level.

I am looking for a local dealer who will I can obtain a 30 day trial license from to try it out on the iphone. My local dealers (total of 4) two of them keep saying that they do not have trial licenses and one says that they have them but are very unresponsive in regards to adding the driver since they aren't making a lot of money at doing it free remotely (been waiting over three weeks); the forth dealer tells me that they will have to come out to my house to add the driver for a couple of hundred dollars in labor. When all of which Control4 tech support said that adding the driver for the trial should be free by most dealers but some will charge and can be done remotely even if you do not have a 4sight subscription. They can create a 24 hour window for the dealer to update. So, does anyone know of a dealer that I can use to assist? I am the product of buying my gear from Tweeter and who all know now has gone out of business and i feel that is the problem......

[snip] When all of which Control4 tech support said that adding the driver for the trial should be free by most dealers but some will charge and can be done remotely even if you do not have a 4sight subscription. [snip]

No disrespect intended here but C4 tech support has no control over what a dealer should or should not charge for work. We all need to earn a living.

It may not be just a matter of adding a driver and trial license to get your system to work. It is possible that you will need to have your C4 software updated to use the iPhone. That takes time.

Additionally a dealer might have to consider the liability of working on your system. The dealer has no idea what operational state your system is in. If the dealer does add the driver it is possible that something could go wrong. That dealer could find himself on the wrong end of a problem that he may or may not have been responsible for creating.

The fact is once I touch your system I could find myself in a mess that could take additional time to fix. I like helping people and spend a lot of time on this forum doing so. I hope you can understand that it might not be worth the risk.

I am looking for a local dealer who will I can obtain a 30 day trial license from to try it out on the iphone. My local dealers (total of 4) two of them keep saying that they do not have trial licenses and one says that they have them but are very unresponsive in regards to adding the driver since they aren't making a lot of money at doing it free remotely (been waiting over three weeks); the forth dealer tells me that they will have to come out to my house to add the driver for a couple of hundred dollars in labor. When all of which Control4 tech support said that adding the driver for the trial should be free by most dealers but some will charge and can be done remotely even if you do not have a 4sight subscription. They can create a 24 hour window for the dealer to update. So, does anyone know of a dealer that I can use to assist? I am the product of buying my gear from Tweeter and who all know now has gone out of business and i feel that is the problem......

Shoot me an email, I have a trial code ready for you, that is assuming your system is ready for it.

I think this has been asked on the boards before (so I apologize) but - will an iPhone interact with C4 without actually having a wireless carrier? As in - I would love to have small device to carry in my pocket around the house - but I am not an apple guy - My smartphone integrates with Outlook - and that runs my world (please don't tell me about the "comparable" app available for iPhones).

Thanks

I think this has been asked on the boards before (so I apologize) but - will an iPhone interact with C4 without actually having a wireless carrier? As in - I would love to have small device to carry in my pocket around the house - but I am not an apple guy - My smartphone integrates with Outlook - and that runs my world (please don't tell me about the "comparable" app available for iPhones).

Thanks

You could just get an iPod touch, as it works the same.

Archived