C4 Forums | Control4

CAT cable.

SMHarman

56 minutes ago, SMHarman said:

Thinking of ripping out the phone cable and using it to snake CAT to those locations to get a wire into most rooms.

Do you mean you are thinking you can pull the Cat using the existing phone cable like the phone cable isn't stapled?

Do you mean you are thinking you can pull the Cat using the existing phone cable like the phone cable isn't stapled?
On the rise. I'm hoping that or a fish will take it a few feet.

But the question was about is CAT6 the standard to pull.

Is that for data or video (hdmi-over-cat)?  Either way use CAT6. 

When I bought my house 4 years ago I ran 2x Cat5 for IR and Data and 2x Cat6 for video behind every TV location. A bit overkill but I rather have extras than none. 

If I ever move to a new house in the near future, I think I would do: 2x Cat6 for Data and IR and 2x Cat6A or Cat7 for video.

16 hours ago, SMHarman said:

On the rise. I'm hoping that or a fish will take it a few feet.

But the question was about is CAT6 the standard to pull.

I hope that works for you. I've never seen a lose phone cable that would pull any useful distance. I just spent days fishing wire in a hot attic. Its still fresh in my memory and the fiberglass still itches.

Are you sure the phone line in the new house isn't CAT6? I've been lucky in the past. I've had two houses where the phone was CAT and I rewired for network.

I hope that works for you. I've never seen a lose phone cable that would pull any useful distance. I just spent days fishing wire in a hot attic. Its still fresh in my memory and the fiberglass still itches.

Are you sure the phone line in the new house isn't CAT6? I've been lucky in the past. I've had two houses where the phone was CAT and I rewired for network.

It's a new to me house. 1974 build.

Basement is unfinished so getting cables to a point in the ground floor walls is not to arduous. Just those few feet up the wall to where the old phone and CATV outlets are. Likely they may need a newer coax.

Gotta figure out how to get to the upper floor / attic and back again. Need to poke around once the current owner is out and I am in.

It's going to be a seasonal rental so the C4 is going to be more for locks / climate / water leaks etc. I plan to finish a bunch of the basement so want to update that cable before drywall goes there.

Is that for data or video (hdmi-over-cat)?  Either way use CAT6. 

When I bought my house 4 years ago I ran 2x Cat5 for IR and Data and 2x Cat6 for video behind every TV location. A bit overkill but I rather have extras than none. 

If I ever move to a new house in the near future, I think I would do: 2x Cat6 for Data and IR and 2x Cat6A or Cat7 for video.

Same here.

2xCat5 1 cat6s and a HDMI to each TV plus speaker wire and more.

That was 5 years ago.

• 3 weeks later...

We have hydronic heat in basement and 1st floor so we ran 3" conduit to the attic (and capped it for fire protection of course) for future run in case we need to update something. Good news is fiber is tiny so if we decide to do this in the future should be able to rewire all TVs in the house to fiber. Really that's the only thing that could need more than 1Gbp data throughput is video.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.