C4 Forums | Control4

Recommended Ethernet Tools and Tester

bebster

I have quite a bit of ethernet RJ45 termination and testing to do, and want to invest in a good quality set of tools, including crimper, lan tester, etc. Please share your preferences for manufacturer and model.

Also will be buying plenty of outlet covers and keystone jacks, and am very interested in recommended models as well, and any other suggestions.

Also will be buying plenty of outlet covers and keystone jacks, and am very interested in recommended models as well, and any other suggestions.

Leviton.

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpSctDspRte.jsp?section=14237&minisite=10028

This RapidJack crimping too is also great to have. Saves a lot of time terminating the keystone ends.

http://www.twacomm.com/catalog/Fluke+Networks_jackrapid-termination-tool-for-leviton.htm?sid=76318DDCCCBA3DBDCD3B38BAFBC89D42

• 5 months later...

Yep Leviton.

I haven't really found any particular crimper that is that much better than another. I use the Network Installation Tool Kit from Home Depot, has a crimper a CAT5 striper and a punch down tool in it.

LAN Tester, I'd look at Fluke products.

Robert

Nope, you want the best? Amp 39156 crimper. If you are doing it and not a CE Installer, then invest in quality tools. With solid connections, why second-guess with a LAN tester (unless you fear screwed-up cable pulls).

Nope, you want the best? Amp 39156 crimper. If you are doing it and not a CE Installer, then invest in quality tools. With solid connections, why second-guess with a LAN tester (unless you fear screwed-up cable pulls).

I'll have to take look at that crimper, I've never used one. But I have to disagree, a LAN tester is a vital piece of equipment. Granted most of the time I don't need it, I've terminated enough CAT5e that I can nearly always tell if I did it right or screwed it up. But I've also had many times that sometime wasn't working properly only to throw on a tester and find out something was wrong with the cable. I've also not brought my tester to a job site and wasted hours trying to determine if is a cable issue or something else. It's not always needed, but I find that it can save me a ton of time.

Robert

How could you run a house full of cables and NOT have at least a basic cable tester?

For tools, I like the Palladin grip pack: http://www.paladin-tools.com/list_tools.php?parent_id=375

Everything you need for trim and punch downs. The only negatives of this set are the hook and flat on the punch tool, I broke them both the first week. The belt clip works well on your belt, but can fall off when you put it in the tool bag. The rest of the toolset is top notch.

For RJ-45's I highly recommend Platinum Tool's EZ-45 crimper, it's about impossible to screw up a connection with that tool. This tool comes in a "basic" model which is fine for DIY and a Pro model with much heavier construction for everyday use.

For testing after trim out, I use a Wirescope 350 which is a true test and certification tool. That's well outside the budget for most folks. You can get a cheap continuity tester the box stores that will ensure the drywallers didn't put a screw through your lines and ensure the terminations are correct for 80-90 dollars. The ideal brand tester is available at most any box store and does a good job with a very easy to read screen.

I'll add my .02

For diagnostics beyond basic testing, Fluke testers are the best IMO, however, they are pricey. I find that a nice compromise is the Byte Brothers tester. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the Fluke, but has what you need, and is 1/3 the price: http://www.bytebrothers.com/bb_tester/testindex.htm

For more basic termination testing/mapping I like the Advantage 16-way Mapper/Tester. It checks the cable to make sure the terminations are good, but there are 16 identifying endpoints so you can test up to 16 cables at a time without running around: http://www.skywalker.com/itemdisplay.aspx?item=227957

^yep, I guess it boils-down to experience on the job. Yeah, jralime, where did you come from, haven't seen you on the board until now?? Greatings!

I have usually spent most of my time on the dealer forums in the driverworks section. (Hazard of having some programming background I suppose) I decided it was time to branch out a bit.

Thanks, it's nice to communicate with other people who are just as excited about C4 as I am, not to mention know more about it than me.

Robert

Archived