C4 Forums | Control4

Card Access Motion Detectors

ILoveC4

I have a bunch of Card Access motion detectors (internal antenna) that ARE upgradeable to zigbee pro (read firmware 1.8+). These units are brand new, sealed in the box. $110/each. If you are willing to buy multiple units we may be able to work out a price break.

Shoot me an email with any questions.

Thanks.

I have a bunch of Card Access motion detectors (internal antenna) that ARE upgradeable to zigbee pro (read firmware 1.8+). These units are brand new, sealed in the box. $110/each. If you are willing to buy multiple units we may be able to work out a price break.

Thanks.

How do you tell if they are upgradeable?

Controlfouruserguy 2.0 is supposed to make the previous interface etc seem virtually archaic and introduce a lot more functionality. If you purchased a system recently and werent made aware of the fact that each of those pricey $250 motion detectors you bought would not be compatible with the new interface in just a few months then I figure you'd be pretty irritated. Its a matter of not alienating customers while at the same time striking a balance of not losing sales which is why most software companies like MSFT etc will have a transition period where they offer free upgrades to the upcoming new operating system so that people dont just stop buying anything and wait for the new system. The equivalent situation would be if you purchased a top of the line gaming PC for $2000 and then the next day MSFT announces they're releasing a new operating system in 2 months but unfortunately none of the new games will work on the old operating system and you cant upgrade to the new operating system unless you replace your hardware at 90% of the cost... but thats ok because you can still play the old games developed for the previous operating system.

Its a matter of not alienating customers while at the same time striking a balance of not losing sales which is why most software companies like MSFT etc will have a transition period where they offer free upgrades to the upcoming new operating system so that people dont just stop buying anything and wait for the new system. The equivalent situation would be if you purchased a top of the line gaming PC for $2000 and then the next day MSFT announces they're releasing a new operating system in 2 months but unfortunately none of the new games will work on the old operating system and you cant upgrade to the new operating system unless you replace your hardware at 90% of the cost... but thats ok because you can still play the old games developed for the previous operating system.

Didn't MS do that already with Vista? IMO the only people "forced" to buy vista were those buying new machines, even though many of those had an XP downgrade option. As is the case, many people stayed with XP. It's a cost/benefit thing - you can stay with the current version until you decide that the cost of upgrading is worth it for the new interface/new door locks/whatever. Many companies I know are still running XP because of the hardware required to run Vista/7 requires a significant investment, for no benefits to most users than a "pretty interface".

What about Blu-ray players? This is the worst offender to me. Companies charged out the wazoo for them, then only made them 1.0 or 1.1 , with some players *maybe* offering firmware updates to 2.0. Nothing like dropping $400 on a player, to find out that it's 1.1 and that the promised firmware upgrade to play those cool BD-live features never comes after having it "in-the-works" for months.

This is just my personal opinion. The update to 1.8/2.0 is a *serious* update that people need to take a hard look at, it's not a mindless click-and-you're-done, and it's also a one-way upgrade, once your system is on Zigbee Pro it can't be rolled back. This standardized Zigbee should open the door (ha) for a lot of cool new things but you dont have to have it for your system to continue working. We have a couple customers on 1.3.2 because it does everything that they want it to and it's stable. They dont want rhapsody or streaming HD videos around the house.

and it's important to note - 2.0 will NOT be a free upgrade! Control4 will charge for it - PLUS - your dealer is going to spend a LOT of time onsite doing the upgrade of every device to Zigbee Pro! It's a LONG and time consuming process (my own house, with 50 Zigbee Devices - took 8 hours to upgrade!!!).

Oops my mistake on the pricing..

I dont disagree that software will eventually be updated and hardware will have to follow, but with things like Vista people could stay with XP and really not lose any true functionality of a computer... very few if any programs are only Vista compatible, most of them work with XP as well. The right comparison though is people who bought or were considering buying computers in the 6-8 months before it was released... they had the choice of either waiting for the new OS or at some point even if they bought a computer with XP they were offered the free upgrade to Vista when it became available.

Your Blu-Ray example is a better one, although I dont really know the timeline for that. With this card-access thing they knew probably at least 6 months ago, if not earlier, that 2.0 would be zigbee pro and that their equipment wouldnt be compatible. If that was the case then *every* dealer should have been informed of that and every customer that considered purchasing any of those products should have at least been informed of the fact that they would have to upgrade those devices within a year if they wanted to move to the big software update rather than stay with the old software.

My situation is the perfect example, if I had known that there was even a slight possibility that my hardware wouldnt have been compatible with this new update then I would have just said hey lets wait on the motion detectors and garage automation for a few months until the new hardware is out. As of now Im just hoping the equipment I am getting was purchased after the hardware was updated..

Your Blu-Ray example is a better one, although I dont really know the timeline for that.

~ June 2006 when the first players hit the streets, CES 2008 Panasonic announces the BD-50 as the first Live player (http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/1335), on the streets in July of 2008 (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1046383). But I digress... :P

As of now Im just hoping the equipment I am getting was purchased after the hardware was updated..

It sounds like you don't even have the system installed yet. If you don't have the hardware installed yet you at least have the option of having your dealer do the trade in and get the new hardware.

Have you asked your dealer if all your hardware will be ZigBee Pro compliant?

So...does anyone want to buy some of my motion detectors?

how much??

I have a bunch of Card Access motion detectors (internal antenna) that ARE upgradeable to zigbee pro (read firmware 1.8+). These units are brand new' date=' sealed in the box. $110/each. If you are willing to buy multiple units we may be able to work out a price break.

Thanks.[/quote']

As of now Im just hoping the equipment I am getting was purchased after the hardware was updated..

It sounds like you don't even have the system installed yet. If you don't have the hardware installed yet you at least have the option of having your dealer do the trade in and get the new hardware.

Have you asked your dealer if all your hardware will be ZigBee Pro compliant?

I asked him if they would be obsolete and he said there would just be a small cost to get them upgraded, but the way he worded it it sounded like a hardware upgrade/swap which wouldnt be a small cost.... Ill ask him the next time he comes to install.

Archived