C4 Forums | Control4

TP-Link Kasa questions

4 hours ago, therockhr said:

Anyone using the Kasa Light Strips? I have some already around a TV but I would like to use this for some cabinet lighting. Issue is I need to do some cutting and splicing together but it reads like you cant do that although I dont see why you couldnt. Anyone had any experience splicing these https://www.kasasmart.com/us/products/smart-lighting/kasa-smart-light-strip-multicolor-kl420l5? Thanks.

i cut and solder them around my movie screen and had no isses

• 5 months later...

2 hours ago, zaphod said:

Does anyone have issues with the Kasa outlet switches, like the HS100, losing the time sync.  This seems to happen to me about once a month and to fix it I have to change the time zone and then change it back.

I have not. I have the HS103/105, two outdoor plugs for our landscape lighting and a few power strips of theirs.

Had early bugs like that but haven’t had them since a few firmware updates a looong time ago. 

My outdoor plugs have been working perfectly for the landscape lights - that’s the setup where I needed the schedule most.

Maybe see if everything is up to date.

7 hours ago, Neo1738 said:

I use c4 scheduler for them as long as c4 has right time should work no problem. 

Thanks - I haven't bought the C4 driver yet, although the reason that I bought these switches is because they are C4-compatible.

20 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

Kasa release the new app update today which may have helped. Also insure your firmware is current on all of the devices

Also, try syncing your location in the app. You can do that in the other/add’l settings. That might help resolve the time issue.

18 hours ago, Jakelay said:

Also, try syncing your location in the app. You can do that in the other/add’l settings. That might help resolve the time issue.

This works, but it seems that you have to do it once a month.  Or manually input your TZ.

24 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

i have used them for year and have never had to do it...

I haven’t either, just on initial install but I saw that the other day when I posted as I was just looking around for something that might help you.

Maybe try uninstalling the Kasa app and reinstalling and see if that helps?

2 hours ago, msgreenf said:

i have used them for year and have never had to do it...

I think this is only if you are using the Kasa internal/app scheduler for switching on and off.  Probably doesn't matter if you are using C4 since the Kasa switch doesn't need to know the time as it just follows the API commands that it gets from C4.

3 hours ago, zaphod said:

I think this is only if you are using the Kasa internal/app scheduler for switching on and off.  Probably doesn't matter if you are using C4 since the Kasa switch doesn't need to know the time as it just follows the API commands that it gets from C4.

I’m using the Kasa app for my landscape lighting and, as I mentioned, I haven’t had this issue. However, I think you are correct about the scheduling in C4 so I would think that would be a non-issue once you install the driver and use C4’s scheduling.

Thinking back, I did have an issue a long time ago with C4 not controlling the Kasa plug correctly but I updated the firmware on the plug and it’s been fine since.

There maybe a trial for the driver. Might be worth checking that out.

Edited by Jakelay

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Tp Link Kasa driver and I use these KL430 for light strips.  In Certain places it requires 2 or 3 kl430 controllers because of length.  So for example I have Cove1,Cove2, Cove3... I do not want to operate them independently and dont want to see 3 lights in C4 for it... I want to see 1. Is there a dummy driver that can be linked to control all 3  including rgb?

11 minutes ago, Ilushka85 said:

I have the Tp Link Kasa driver and I use these KL430 for light strips.  In Certain places it requires 2 or 3 kl430 controllers because of length.  So for example I have Cove1,Cove2, Cove3... I do not want to operate them independently and dont want to see 3 lights in C4 for it... I want to see 1. Is there a dummy driver that can be linked to control all 3  including rgb?

there is a light group driver you can use

4 hours ago, Ilushka85 said:

@alanchowany suggestiosn for this?  its built into the Hue driver but appears missing here.

Hue's are different as they utilise a bridge which has a group based API.  TP-Link however does not have a group based API and each device is on its own.

As such we highly recommend utilising lighting scenes to fire multiple loads together. Note they will still operate independantly.

If you want to handle larger runs (30 meters indoors or 50 meters outdoors) we recommend the Shelly RGBW2 hardware with BYO strips.

https://chowmain.software/drivers/control4-shelly-generic

Shelly have produced a guide on how to use the RGBW2 including wiring practices.

11 hours ago, alanchow said:

Hue's are different as they utilise a bridge which has a group based API.  TP-Link however does not have a group based API and each device is on its own.

As such we highly recommend utilising lighting scenes to fire multiple loads together. Note they will still operate independantly.

If you want to handle larger runs (30 meters indoors or 50 meters outdoors) we recommend the Shelly RGBW2 hardware with BYO strips.

https://chowmain.software/drivers/control4-shelly-generic

Shelly have produced a guide on how to use the RGBW2 including wiring practices.

Understood but couldn’t you add a group driver to group multiple together and expose the brightness / color as a single device ?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.