C4 Forums | Control4

Kaleidescape... legal troubles.

akg4y

What is the current status of Hulu & Boxee (on an unrelated note)? Is Hulu still blocking Boxee or has Boxee figured out a way to stop it? How come Hulu is okay with Plex & XBMC connecting but just specifically not Boxee?

Theres a lot of interesting stuff going on in the media streamer world... I hope the combination of 2.0 plus the C4 media player will give the flexibility to stream anything and everything from the net as long as an appropriate app is written...

They can come get my backups of my movies when they come get my guns. It will save them a trip :)

You Texans and your guns....

Crazy Texan :lol:

Yeah' date=' we'll see what state you want to go to when the Zombies come. :P

What is the current status of Hulu & Boxee (on an unrelated note)? Is Hulu still blocking Boxee or has Boxee figured out a way to stop it? How come Hulu is okay with Plex & XBMC connecting but just specifically not Boxee?

Theres a lot of interesting stuff going on in the media streamer world... I hope the combination of 2.0 plus the C4 media player will give the flexibility to stream anything and everything from the net as long as an appropriate app is written...

I'm not sure about hulu vs. boxee, maybe this is some insight? Perhaps it has to do with the fact that networks can have advertising controlled on Hulu but not boxee?

http://blog.boxee.tv/2009/05/28/is-hulu-coming-back-to-boxee/

Zombies? Thats well after the machines take over. My buddy at Microsoft always tells me, 'When they decide to attack just make sure they know youre on their side.'

Re: Hulu/Boxee yeah Ive read basically every article I can find on the topic... the content providers are the ones restricting it but yet they allow viewing through Plex and other media centers...

re: Boxee and Hulu

Hulu is a content aggregator. Hulu cannot exist without content. Hulu is only doing what the content providers are asking them to.

As stupid as it may sound, content providers do not want their content to be played via TVs (see the Hulu license agreement that limits what devices can play content). Or more specially, it's only being allowed on PCs.

You may not download, install or use the Hulu Software on any device other than a Personal Computer including without limitation digital media receiver devices (such as Apple TV), mobile devices (such as a cell phone device, mobile handheld device or a PDA), network devices or CE devices (collectively “Prohibited Devices”).

It is a common practice for content providers to license content for specific regions (i.e. Hulu is not available in Canada) and playback devices/platforms. Allowing the content to be played back on devices that are solely intended to be connected to a TV may seem to compete with broadcast TV licenses. Sure, an HTPC may also connect to a TV, however, this may not be it's sole purpose and content providers have to draw the line somewhere (they may simply feel more threatened by Apple TV).

Plex does not run on the Apple TV.

Many movie theatres are now digital and no longer use film. Just like when content is licensed for digital theaters it wont grant the rights to playback on other devices.

Thanks Bog, that makes more sense...

I read that Boxee started using the Firefox interface to circumvent the Hulu block, but now even that no longer works... guess the content providers just want to push us all back to downloading commercial free versions from newsgroups. :)

Archived