C4 Forums | Control4

Wishlist 2020

South Africa C4 user

It’s been a long time since there has been a full wishlist done on this forum. Someone ( @control4user007, I think) used to keep an up to date list.  If one looks at some of the older lists,  C4 has certainly delivered on most of the old wishes.  Looking at my system, I am fairly happy with what I have at present but I do still have a few wishes, including:

1. New faster Touchscreens with better resolutions

2. The ability to show more experience buttons on one Touchscreen page.

3. The ability to have user defined buttons that will open new pages (not just watch, listen, comfort, security and lights). E.g. I’d like to call a button “Irrigation” and flip to all my sprinkler experience buttons when pressed (currently I use a room for this - as the closest proxy - but it is not intuitive for my Gardner who has to swipe left to get there).

4. The ability to skip forward (or back) a stage (zone) in the native irrigation driver (program).

5. Fixing the “Has Spa” variable (so that it’s setting persists a director reboot) on the old native Pentair IntelliTouch driver and also fixing other age old bugs in this driver (like programming to HasSpa and programming off certain things changing - e.g. the pool light).

6. The ability to speak into a Touchscreen and have the sound come out of a given room’s speakers (I.e. intercom to speaker functionality).  There are some quasi workarounds for this, but it would be cool to have it native.

7. Apple Music integration (I add this because it is needed... that said, I have moved to Tidal and am unlikely to be lured back).

8. Mini Apps for Apple TV (I realize Apple is probably the problem, but this is still on my wishlist!)

9. A version 2 of the Neeo with backlights and the ability to customize the home screen more (I.e. more experience buttons per screen and page flipping of some sort).

10. Integrating one of the e-gauge drivers into my new favourite driver (the Janus BMS Driver).

11. Integrating Infuse directly into Control4.

12. Allowing webview access on the iOS app.  This would be supercool for accessing local urls when away from home.

13. Significantly faster connection to Alexa for the first Control4 command.  It is not bad once a connection is In place.

14. More commands added to the Control4 Alexa skill (such as open and close).

15. Upgrading the screensaver agent so that one can use different picture libraries on different devices and on different days of the week / times of day.

16. The e-mail agent also needs a complete overhaul to allow dynamic changes and attachments but there are drivers that allow this anyway, so not too important.

17. Allowing for multiple lines on the bar that one can add text to near the top of the T3 (I can’t recall the name of this function - it is not pop up messages, but programmed in this same place - may be called a status message?).

18. Allowing the above mentioned status message to be displayed on the iOS app.

19. Allowing for longer names (either via font size or text wrapping) on Experience Buttons.

20. Fixing various bugs (I am aware of some camera bugs, music bugs and DS2 bugs that are currently needing to be dealt with).

21. Allowing UI buttons on other intercoms (not just Doorstation) so that you can, for instance, turn on lights when calling a touchscreen from Intrecom Anywhere (or  somewhere else in the house).  Adding this feature to other cameras would be nice too (I realize that there is a paid driver that approximates to doing this).

Hoping that OS3.2 will come along soon and that we will see some new hardware in 2020... Would love to look back in a year or 2 and be able to say that this whole list was dealt with!

Love that @C4SouthAfrica is keeping these wishlists going!  Off the top of my head:

1) Open / published native C4 REST API (ability to query device status, set device params, etc.)

2) (I think this one was on my original OS 2.8 list) Open up the DriverWorks SDK - it will only benefit everyone to get C4 enthusiasts such as myself trying to push the envelope with the system.  It could fill in some gaps that might be lower hanging fruit for other driver developers (e.g. I would love to write my own LG Soundbar IP Driver). 

3) End User Release Notes - I can get the highlights from my dealer, but would be nice to have them (or certain sections of them) published on the customer portal.  Also for NEEO, T3, OSD, etc. updates.

4) Two Way Control / feedback from the Apple TV Driver (realize Apple might be the reason on this one).  Would be nice to know what specific video content is playing in what room.

5) Native Siri Control (again probably an Apple thing at the moment)

6) New Lighting Page UI - where instead of a list view, lights in the room are displayed on a floorpan and I can tap on the light to turn it off / on.  For example - Left Lamp and Right lamp are sometimes confusing depending on where you are in the room - but if I could upload a PNG and "position" the lights onto that, it would be much easier to see what I was turning on / off.  Could even have the ability to press and hold to adjust the brightness.

7) NEEO Beep to locate (I know its got a beep functionality, drove me nuts every time I docked it)

8 ) iOS app that switches what project I am in depending on my location

9) Geofence events for all mobile apps registered to the account - e.g. when "Dad's iPhone" leaves home: If garage door is open -> Send "Dad's iPhone" a push notification.

10) Ability for experience buttons to have their own customized page (vs just executing or showing status).  Kind of like what OS 2.0 apps were going to be, but through DriverWorks.

11) Ability to type code on the programming tab vs drag and drop.  With autocomplete (e.g. start typing "If Living Ro" and in a dropdown "Living Room" shows up).

Im sure ill think of more!  Thanks again @C4SouthAfrica!

On 8/1/2020 at 1:34 PM, South Africa C4 user said:

6. The ability to speak into a Touchscreen and have the sound come out of a given room’s speakers (I.e. intercom to speaker functionality).  There are some quasi workarounds for this, but it would be cool to have it native.

Not to derail this but can you explain how I can do this with a workaround?

Also I'll add to the list, Ability to add playlists and run "my music" from Amazon Music to the room driver like you can with Iheart and Pandora. 

2 minutes ago, azkid said:

Not to derail this but can you explain how I can do this with a workaround?

Also I'll add to the list, Ability to add playlists and run "my music" from Amazon Music to the room driver like you can with Iheart and Pandora. 

I believe that @THEORY had a driver that did this a few years back.  His video demonstration of this is on the forums somewhere and was impressive!

Then there are a couple of drivers that allow you to Record a message via a webpage and play it straight to a webpage.  I use the Jooced text to speech driver from @Shivam Paw (available from the Blackwire website) for all my text to speech announcements.  It performs this function exceptionally well and is a must by driver.  This driver has the ability to record a message on a webpage and send it as an announcement.  I have used it once (maybe twice) but honestly, it was more of a novelty than a practical answer to this requirement. 

Had another one:

Better readability for the text on the lighting page of OSD.  Right now - against most of my backgrounds, its really hard to read the text.  Also, make use of the extra screen real estate and have both Lights + Scenes on the same page (I think something similar was done on OS 2 IIRC).  Maybe something they can push out with their new update mechanism (NEEO / T3 / OSD) ?  

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/29/2020 at 8:49 PM, Aayush Arya said:

Get rid of the "device not responding" error with voice commands.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Agreed! Point 13 in my original list would (I think) deal with this as (I think) the problem is Amazon timing out before C4 responds to the command...

Some great suggestions on here so far! Here are a few of mine. 

Apple Music - This might be an Apple limitation, but they do allow Sonos to do this. I can only assume there's some Apple problem here though, because I can't imagine Control4 would leave this out for any other reason.

Airplay 2. 

Open/documented REST API (good one, control4user007!)

When/Then to the level of HE, or better.

Homekit/Siri integration - This is not an Apple limitation, but to get Siri working they effectively end up supporting all of Homekit (i.e. you'd be able to control C4 devices via the Home app, etc). I can only assume they don't want to do that. I am using a 3rd party homebridge driver now, and it's not perfect but it does work well. So hopefully Control4 decides to do this natively. 

Apple TV and native Mac Control4 app (i.e. Apple TV and Mac versions of the iOS app)

Shockingly, I'd love a Neeo that fixes all of the aforementioned problems by Garry, as well as though previously identified by me. I hate to admit my predictions were right all along. The remote sucks, especially if you have cable TV.  That said, I think it can be a great remote once C4 adds the backlight and a few more buttons, and perhaps Alexa integration.

And I love Garry's suggestion about webview links in mobile app. That would allow so much better driver integration. Right now, you are limited in some sense by the categories that C4 allows. The web view is a way around that, but without it being available in the mobile app it's kind of pointless. 

• 3 weeks later...

Zigbee 3 module for all the goodies out there

More flexible GUI with HTML5 pages (floor pan etc)

Web based control for PC via Browser

Web based media management, like Emby or plex

Compatibility for European system 55 faceplates with matching KeyCaps - Noone buys the current line because it just doesn't blend in and it does not have options for 3 or 4 way gangs - it's just a little plastic piece come on!!

• 1 month later...
On 8/7/2020 at 5:13 PM, control4user007 said:

Love that @C4SouthAfrica is keeping these wishlists going!  Off the top of my head:

1) Open / published native C4 REST API (ability to query device status, set device params, etc.)

2) (I think this one was on my original OS 2.8 list) Open up the DriverWorks SDK - it will only benefit everyone to get C4 enthusiasts such as myself trying to push the envelope with the system.  It could fill in some gaps that might be lower hanging fruit for other driver developers (e.g. I would love to write my own LG Soundbar IP Driver). 

3) End User Release Notes - I can get the highlights from my dealer, but would be nice to have them (or certain sections of them) published on the customer portal.  Also for NEEO, T3, OSD, etc. updates.

4) Two Way Control / feedback from the Apple TV Driver (realize Apple might be the reason on this one).  Would be nice to know what specific video content is playing in what room.

5) Native Siri Control (again probably an Apple thing at the moment)

6) New Lighting Page UI - where instead of a list view, lights in the room are displayed on a floorpan and I can tap on the light to turn it off / on.  For example - Left Lamp and Right lamp are sometimes confusing depending on where you are in the room - but if I could upload a PNG and "position" the lights onto that, it would be much easier to see what I was turning on / off.  Could even have the ability to press and hold to adjust the brightness.

7) NEEO Beep to locate (I know its got a beep functionality, drove me nuts every time I docked it)

8 ) iOS app that switches what project I am in depending on my location

9) Geofence events for all mobile apps registered to the account - e.g. when "Dad's iPhone" leaves home: If garage door is open -> Send "Dad's iPhone" a push notification.

10) Ability for experience buttons to have their own customized page (vs just executing or showing status).  Kind of like what OS 2.0 apps were going to be, but through DriverWorks.

11) Ability to type code on the programming tab vs drag and drop.  With autocomplete (e.g. start typing "If Living Ro" and in a dropdown "Living Room" shows up).

Im sure ill think of more!  Thanks again @C4SouthAfrica!

Absolutely agree re geofence events. Crazy that a high end system like C4 doesn’t support this natively yet. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Home Appliance Proxies / Control4 Interfaces
- washer /dryer (see status from a C4 Touchscreen, notifications)
- Coffee Machines (to use as part of a wakeup agent, notification when coffee is done)
- refrigerators (notifications when a water filter needs to be changed, announcement if the door was left open too long or door open and the room has been unoccupied for period of time,  for ability to view / adjust temperature from a the TS)

- Home networking (ability to see wifi clients connected via touchscreen, what WAP they are connected to, program events off of when a device comes online/offline, when a networking device falls online, etc.)
- Irrigation (ability to see / modify schedule from C4 to tie in with other events, could be cool when a camera pops up to have an irrigation zone toggle displayed for zone(s) that camera can see - kind of like how the lights / door lock work when a doorbell rings).

- Air purifier (tie the on/off into a scheduler, notifications of bad air quality / change filter, etc.)

I realize this is probably dependent on a manufacturer providing an api to these devices, but having a control4 proxy interface designed for these use cases would cool.  To me, the convenience of being able to bring this all into a single app vs disparate apps with varying levels of control / usability, having to setup each app on every family members device, etc. is why its on my wishlist.  

Air Purifier is i think available in the proxy for t-stat already though not implemented. Scheduling is another matter, but not sure why you'd schedule when purification is running or not?

Networking is probably currently possible via HTML (so not mobile app) - would be nice if C4 did this for their own services (BakPak and OVRC), like the idea.

The rest would mainly just be experience buttons, because there is zero unity/consistency in how each one/brand operates it would be nearly impossible to create a proxy that is clean and clear without severely limiting which devices would work with it. Not that I wouldn't love to see it happen.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

- Add Thermostat, Security/Alarm System, and history agent to the OSD (e.g. when watching TV at night, sometimes its easier to pull up that interface vs go to a T3, pull out my phone, etc.)
- Update history agent to track lights on / lights off, TV on / Off, Thermostat events - not sure if this requires a history agent update or the driver to be written to use the history agent to log this?

- Ability to send a notification to all Navigator UI's.  For example, from my iPhone I want to send a push Notification to all other Mobile devices, OSD/T3/T4 popup, NEEOs, etc. with a message "Dinner's Ready!").  Also would be cool to have the ability for the T3/T4 to chime, have the message text scale to fit the screen size.

- On my T3 Screensaver, I currently have it setup to custom (Time, Temp, Date, Media).  If no media is playing, there is a large section of unused screen real estate, with temp + date + time stacked on one side of the screen.  Would be nice if when no media is playing, it could fill this unused space with the time (and stack temp + date), then when media starts playing - display the cover art + song info and stack the (time + temp + date on one side).

On 12/4/2020 at 2:31 PM, Cyknight said:

Air Purifier is i think available in the proxy for t-stat already though not implemented. Scheduling is another matter, but not sure why you'd schedule when purification is running or not?

Networking is probably currently possible via HTML (so not mobile app) - would be nice if C4 did this for their own services (BakPak and OVRC), like the idea.

The rest would mainly just be experience buttons, because there is zero unity/consistency in how each one/brand operates it would be nearly impossible to create a proxy that is clean and clear without severely limiting which devices would work with it. Not that I wouldn't love to see it happen.

After re-reading it - agree there is no use for scheduling on an air purifier.  Would be cool to have feedback though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.