C4 Forums | Control4

HTC relay for 12V?

AS2

Hey all,

I am using a Sonic Impact T-Amp in an installation. (for those not familier, it's a really cool $30 Class T portable amplifier that audiophile types are currently going gaga over). It is VERY simple; just an 1/8" stereo input, speaker jacks, DC input, battery compartment and a volume pot with on/off. No IR, no control. When you plug it in with a DC adapter, it sounds really good actually.

With the power on the unit 'on' I'd like to be able to turn the amp on and off using the relay on the back of the HTC. Basically I'd interrupt the positive and run it through the Common --> Normally Open. When the relay closes, it completes the ciruit and applies 12VDC to the amp. Would this work? Could I fry the HTC trying to this? 12V is a relatively small amount of power, but I wouldn't want to make a mistake here.

Thoughts?

AS2

According to Tech-note 0026-05 on the Control4 site, the relays are rated up to 6A at any voltage. Seems a little high for my part. I did indeed open up a box to check this, and sure enough the relay quite specifically states 6A@24VDC (Among other ratings).

In your situation AS2, everything will be cool. I doubt the amp is going to draw any more than 6A - dude that's 72W @ 12V!

For everyone else, don't latch on to heavily to the "6A at any voltage claim". I personally put too high a voltage onto the relay port. If I had to trigger a 240V (or 110V) device I would use a step up relay - something that is much bigger and designed to switch high wattage loads.

Archived