C4 Forums | Control4

1.8 is out. Please read before considering the upgrade.

thecodeman

I had my system installed over 2 years ago now, and at the time I was told there was not a ethernet version of the LCD keypad. Can anyone verify this? When I will up the info on the display it comes up as 'Zigbee 10 button LCD keypad'.

Thanks

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the time, there likely was not an ethernet version.

I also have 4 ZigBee 10-button LCD Keypads, which I installed a couple of months before the Ethernet version were announced. I think there was about a 4-6 month gap between the ZigBee version coming out and the PoE version.

RyanE

I believe the Zigbee LCD will be supported in a later release, so unless you need 1.8 today just wait a while.

In fact, that's probably good advice for anyone who does not need a 1.8 fix ASAP, just wait and let things mature a bit over the next few months.

I believe the Zigbee LCD will be supported in a later release, so unless you need 1.8 today just wait a while.

In fact, that's probably good advice for anyone who does not need a 1.8 fix ASAP, just wait and let things mature a bit over the next few months.

Agreed.

Thanks for the info!

Back to the issue.. did an update last nite that popped up on my laptop while downloading music to C4.. after 3 hours i cancelled.. now 2 of my controllers are not working.. i got picture no sound.. has anyone had this problem before and how can you fix.. i've rebooted and still no sound.

Thanks for the info!

Back to the issue.. did an update last nite that popped up on my laptop while downloading music to C4.. after 3 hours i cancelled.. now 2 of my controllers are not working.. i got picture no sound.. has anyone had this problem before and how can you fix.. i've rebooted and still no sound.

Please start a new thread for your issue so we can keep this one specific to 1.8 Q&A. Thanks.

Thanks to all for the information.

Question: When the talk of 1.8 was first mentioned, I thought I read 1.8 was going to be for new installs and 2.0 for current installs, and the features were the same. Is this not the case?

While no information is concrete about 2.0 at this time, the big difference between 2.0 an 1.8 is the rumored navigator GUI update in 2.0. It is safe to assume that there will probably be additional features/fixes/new products supported/etc. with it being a major release.

Again, if you're affected by a bug that has been resolved in 1.8, and you feel like it's warranted, you can update to 1.8 any existing system. The people who skip 1.8 and go to 2.0 will still have to deal with the Zigbee Pro upgrade process. A small benefit of going to 1.8 or starting there in a new project is that you don't have to upgrade Zigbee while doing 2.0.

Keep in mind that 1.8 and above is not supported for a main controller being a 'first-gen' controller.

i.e. if your main controller is a Media Controller or a Home Theater Controller (HTC), you cannot upgrade to 1.8 or later without upgrading your main controller to at least an HC-300.

Also keep in mind the other caveats that have been mentioned (no v1 / v2 / ZigBee 10-button keypad drivers, etc.).

RyanE

Just to be clear' date=' These devises will work But You Must have an Ethernet cable.. 1.8 does not support with zigbee.

[/quote']

Yes... that's why there's the paragraph below it... :/

That, and I would love for you to show me how to hook up an ethernet cable to my V1 and V2 remotes!!!

Yup, I knew a Tool would reply with something like that..

ILoveC4,

Please keep your opinions of other forum members to yourself. Try and keep it civil, please.

RyanE

Why just get on ILoveC4 when you should be saying that to K&J as he threw the first stone.

If your going to get on someone for calling someone else a name you better look at your rouge dealers first

So, who's taken the plunge (besides codeman)? How many hours was the dealer on site for the upgrade?

FYI, The 1.8 Upgrade time depends on how many Switches / Dimmers etc. the customer has in the project. Each individual Dimmer / Switch etc. needs to be re-identified during the upgrade.

We have only 9 Dimmers / Switches in our store and the upgrade took almost 3 hours.

Have a Great Day!

I have almost 60 dimmers/switches/keppads. So at approx. 20 minutes per device ( K & J said 3 hours for 9 devices so that's ~20 minutes each) I can figure that my house will take 60X20minutes=1200minutes=20 hours! Can that be right?

If we figure that a dealer charges ~$90/hour (or more) then the estimated time to upgrade is.........drum roll please........at least $1800!

I already spoke to my dealer (not about cost) and he said the upgrade cannot be done remotely. He must be present.

I'm beginning to think this won't happen at my house!!!:cool: 1.7.3 is really looking like the end of the road for my C4 system if these calculations are on target.

It really depends, there are a few tricks to making them go faster and once we're familiar with the process we will be shaving more time off. Mine took so long because I had some embernet devices, some in mini-app mode, and I re-read the instructions more than a few times. I only had one controller and no z-stick (the slowest possible upgrade path).

Also, your dealer may be more comfortable to do at least part of the upgrade remotely after he has a handful of them under his belt.

I myself wouldn't attempt one remotely until I'd done it at least a few times locally.

There is a manual step that is required to cause the newly updated nodes to join the Pro network, which needs to happen for all ZigBee devices, so at some point, either the dealer has to be there, or has to instruct the homeowner on enrolling all the devices into the Pro network.

This is because the Pro network is encrypted, and nodes are only allowed to join the network when the network is in 'join mode' for security.

RyanE

• 2 weeks later...

Ryan, I have a large system 1 HC1000, 2 HC300's and about 7 System 2 Remotes with 45 dimmers. I'll work with my dealer at some point - but any plans to have the system 2 remotes supported in the near future? The multicast with my dimmers would really be nice - but I'm not up for spending a bunch of money replacing remotes that are less then 2 years old.

Jedwilli,

I can certainly empathize with your situation, and understand your concern with not wanting to 're-buy' remotes, and I'm sorry, although I suspect you'd like the SR-250 if you were to try them.

Unfortunately, I don't believe the v.2 remotes will have an upgrade path to ZigBee Pro. They were not designed to support Pro. Despite being called the v.2, they really aren't a 'second-generation' product. The improvements from v.1 to v.2 were to make the LCD more durable, and to change the buttons to be glow-in-the dark. Those improvements didn't change the amount of RAM or Flash in the remote, which are typically the limiting factors on whether a device will support ZigBee Pro.

V.1 and v.2 remotes will continue to work in a 1.7.3+ system that is not on ZigBee Pro, which will continue to work, and there could possibly (no promises here, since things change) be an upgrade / trade-in program for later remotes, but whether there is or not, details wouldn't be provided for such a thing until much closer to the OS 2.0 release.

RyanE

Archived