C4 Forums | Control4

1.8 is out. Please read before considering the upgrade.

thecodeman

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can anyone tell me how the response of the sr-250 remotes are after the 1.8 upgrade? I have a concern that they will be less responsive with the 1.8 upgrade because of encryption.

They are a little slower when used as list navigator, but I have not heard of any specific complaints of it rendering navigation useless. YMMV.

Can anyone tell me how the response of the sr-250 remotes are after the 1.8 upgrade? I have a concern that they will be less responsive with the 1.8 upgrade because of encryption.

They are a little slower when used as list navigator' date=' but I have not heard of any specific complaints of it rendering navigation useless. YMMV.[/quote']

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

My dealer came out over the weekend and upgraded me to 1.8. I have a couple of Black and Decker door locks on order, so I needed to get 1.8 up and running.

1 - HC1000

2 - HC300

3 - Mini-touch

3 - SR250

2 - Card Access Wireless Contact Sensors

2 - Card Access Wireless Relays

3 - Card Access Motion Detectors

5 - LCD keypads

15 - 2,3,6 button keypads

30 - Dimmers and switches

The upgrade took about 8 hours. All but 2 dimmers upgraded successfully. The 2 dimmers were left overnight, but still did not upgrade. After some sort of reset the next day they came online.

Observations -

System seemed very sluggish initially after the upgrade. A full reset of all the controllers resolved this.

One of the SR250 remotes stops responding quite often. Yanking the batteries brings it back to life, but it only lasts a day or two before quitting again.

All of the custom LED color programming on my 6 button keypads disappeared. This was annoying and time consuming to reprogram.

My double tap programming no longer works. I see that there's a built in double tap function built into the programming now, but I haven't had time to play with it yet.

Overall, it went pretty well. Now I'm just waiting on the door locks...

Rob

If I order new switches and dimmers will they come setup for 1.8? I don't want to order them now if they need to be upgraded in the field - would rather wait and avoid the hassle, assuming the wait isn't too long.

That depends on your dealer. I think at this point a lot of the switches and dimmers are still shipping on Embernet. If a project of ours needs to be zigbee pro, we bench update them before they go out so all we have to do on site is join them to the secure mesh.

If I order new switches and dimmers will they come setup for 1.8? I don't want to order them now if they need to be upgraded in the field - would rather wait and avoid the hassle, assuming the wait isn't too long.

I think C4 has stated that for the foreseeable future ZigBee devices will be shipped with the non-ZigBee Pro (a.k.a. Embernet) stack. This makes sense since once a dimmer is upgraded to ZigBee Pro there is no easy way to downgrade to Embernet. If C4 shipped dimmers with ZigBee Pro then anyone with non-ZigBee Pro system would never be able to add/expand their system without upgrading to ZigBee Pro.

Your dealer will have to upgrade them in the field or upgrade them on the bench. Either way it will probably take the same amount of time and expense.

Edit: If the device requires 1.8 or above to operate it will have to ship with ZigBee Pro. Example is the B&D locks.

So I want to keep the wife happy with this 1.8 upgrade, so before my dealer comes out let me ask a couple of questions. I understand that all of the long times required to get the upgrade done relates simply to the the devices on the zigbee network. So all of my touchscreens and controllers and such should upgrade rather quickly. However, I have right at 200 switches, dimmers and keypads and I will have a hard time convincing the misses that my dealer needs to stay over for two or three nights so that I will have a better toy to play with. If I am understanding the process correctly, the zigbee devices first get upgraded to an intermediate software platform of some sort with a small footprint in order to make room in memory for the full zigbee pro code. Then after this is done you change the zigbee mode on the controller and it begins the next phase of the upgrade. What I am wondering, is if it is possible with enough controllers in the system to have one controller set up to do the first step and another controller set up to handle the second step? This would at least logically seem to be the quickest method to get through the upgrade. Anyone have any advice?

So I want to keep the wife happy with this 1.8 upgrade, so before my dealer comes out let me ask a couple of questions. I understand that all of the long times required to get the upgrade done relates simply to the the devices on the zigbee network. So all of my touchscreens and controllers and such should upgrade rather quickly. However, I have right at 200 switches, dimmers and keypads and I will have a hard time convincing the misses that my dealer needs to stay over for two or three nights so that I will have a better toy to play with. If I am understanding the process correctly, the zigbee devices first get upgraded to an intermediate software platform of some sort with a small footprint in order to make room in memory for the full zigbee pro code. Then after this is done you change the zigbee mode on the controller and it begins the next phase of the upgrade. What I am wondering, is if it is possible with enough controllers in the system to have one controller set up to do the first step and another controller set up to handle the second step? This would at least logically seem to be the quickest method to get through the upgrade. Anyone have any advice?

Yes, you can have several controllers setup to speed up the upgrade process. If you have multiple controllers in your system your dealer can have one controller setup to upgrade Embernet (a.k.a. to the intermediate software) and one controller setup to upgrade to ZigBee Pro. This can significantly decrease the time it takes to upgrade your system to ZigBee Pro because after a dimmer upgrades to mini-app (the intermediate software) from one controller it can then communicate with the second controller to start the ZigBee Pro upgrade. This process requires that you have the correct controllers in your existing project so you are best off talking to your dealer on exactly how he wants to do the upgrade.

Talk to your dealer about the exact requirement of your specific upgrade.

So I want to keep the wife happy with this 1.8 upgrade' date=' so before my dealer comes out let me ask a couple of questions. I understand that all of the long times required to get the upgrade done relates simply to the the devices on the zigbee network. So all of my touchscreens and controllers and such should upgrade rather quickly. However, I have right at 200 switches, dimmers and keypads and I will have a hard time convincing the misses that my dealer needs to stay over for two or three nights so that I will have a better toy to play with. If I am understanding the process correctly, the zigbee devices first get upgraded to an intermediate software platform of some sort with a small footprint in order to make room in memory for the full zigbee pro code. Then after this is done you change the zigbee mode on the controller and it begins the next phase of the upgrade. What I am wondering, is if it is possible with enough controllers in the system to have one controller set up to do the first step and another controller set up to handle the second step? This would at least logically seem to be the quickest method to get through the upgrade. Anyone have any advice?[/quote']

Yes, you can have several controllers setup to speed up the upgrade process. If you have multiple controllers in your system your dealer can have one controller setup to upgrade Embernet (a.k.a. to the intermediate software) and one controller setup to upgrade to ZigBee Pro. This can significantly decrease the time it takes to upgrade your system to ZigBee Pro because after a dimmer upgrades to mini-app (the intermediate software) from one controller it can then communicate with the second controller to start the ZigBee Pro upgrade. This process requires that you have the correct controllers in your existing project so you are best off talking to your dealer on exactly how he wants to do the upgrade.

Talk to your dealer about the exact requirement of your specific upgrade.

Thanks henniae. He was here yesterday and we did discuss how we would proceed. He hasn't done any large upgrades yet and we are both just trying to determine how long it might take. Do you know which part of the upgrade takes the longest on a per switch basis. Is it the mini-app or the zigbee pro step. Just wondering which part would make the most sense to dedicated the most resources to.

My Composer shows 1.738 as current version with no upgrade available.. What am I missing?

Thanks

Your dealer will have the latest version of Composer Pro which will allow them to perform the update, once they've evaluated your project to ensure your hardware is compatible. This is definately not one to DIY with an "obtained" copy of Composer Pro. The release notes to read totals 29 pages, and the instructions for upgrade is 37 pages. Many dealers familiar with the process have had bumps along the way, including us.

I had just something real weird happen with 1.8.2. I had 15 + Switches and Keypads and an HC300 in a clients system upgraded to 1.8.2 and everything worked great! We added 7 new devices today and did the embernet upgrade. That went fine. Then we switched the controller back over to Zigbee and nothing has been able to join the network since (even the 1.8.2 devices). Has anyone run into this problem???????

Thanks,

Josh

• 2 weeks later...

Archived