C4 Forums | Control4

Issues connecting to network storage

I am trying to configure my Network Storage driver for my music.  My music is on a Windows 7 system.  In the properties windows for the driver, I have entered the username and password for the Windows 7 system and have successfully browsed to the music location by clicking the ... menu.  When I click connect, I get an error Unable to connect to the network share.  I have tried several troubleshooting suggestions including turning on NETBIOS over IP, but nothing has worked.  Until recently I was successfully accessing my music from an NAS drive, but I am having issues with it at the moment.  Consequently, I decided to copy my music to my Windows 7 PC and access it there until I can resolve my NAS drive issues.  Any ideas?

Using Windows isn't really supported. Get a NAS drive.

That said, for use at your own risk:

the following may be run in an administrative Powershell session.

Get-WindowsOptionalFeature -online | Where-Object {($_.FeatureName -cin "SMB1Protocol", "SMB1Protocol-Client", "SMB1Protocol-Deprecation") -and ($_.State -eq "Disabled")} | Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online

Thank you msgreenf and cyknight for your help.  Unfortunately, I enabled SMB1 (and SMB2), but still cannot connect.  I believe the bottom line is that audio streaming from a PC is not supported.  As I mentioned in my original post, until a few days ago I was streaming my music from a NAS drive.  But I am having some issues with it and was trying to stream from my Windows 7 system as a temporary work around.  My NAS drive is old.  Any suggestions on a reasonably priced NAS drive?  Thanks again!

On 9/5/2020 at 8:34 PM, Charlotte said:

Thank you msgreenf and cyknight for your help.  Unfortunately, I enabled SMB1 (and SMB2), but still cannot connect.  I believe the bottom line is that audio streaming from a PC is not supported.  As I mentioned in my original post, until a few days ago I was streaming my music from a NAS drive.  But I am having some issues with it and was trying to stream from my Windows 7 system as a temporary work around.  My NAS drive is old.  Any suggestions on a reasonably priced NAS drive?  Thanks again!

Or roll your own NAS on old or new PC hardware using unRAID as the OS.  Then you can run a bunch of dockers as well - Plex Server, Unifi,  PiHole, OpenVPN server, AirVideo, RuTorrent, plus VMs in Linux or Windows.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Charlotte said:

@AmrI like the DS220+ with a 4TB seagate drive to start.  But I am still confused about this SMB1 requirement.  Do you have to enable SMB1 on your NAS for it to serve up music to Control4?  And if so, isn't that just as much a security risk as enabling it on Windows?

If hackers get into your basic NAS, there's a lot less that they can do as opposed to having access to a full computer OS...

I have the same issue. Loads of music on my PC but can't listen to any of it through the PC App. Although I am not surprised that the App does not work, most of my C4 system doesn't work properly either. 

I realize that that this is a silly thought but it would be nice, really nice, to install an app, click on it and effortlessly manage it so it allows you to do what it is supposed to do. I think it would be funny if all of these smarty pants programmers had the tables turned on them. Perhaps the next time they flushed the toilet it didn't flush or they step on the brakes and they don't work. 

On 9/20/2020 at 5:12 PM, Charlotte said:

@AmrI like the DS220+ with a 4TB seagate drive to start.  But I am still confused about this SMB1 requirement.  Do you have to enable SMB1 on your NAS for it to serve up music to Control4?  And if so, isn't that just as much a security risk as enabling it on Windows?

Yes I have SMB1, you need to have a secure network in your home, which is to walk away from providers’ Routers, modems, only use it for connection only, have a hardware firewall and deploy a FingBox or the like where it will alert you of any intruders into your network.

The most important part in hacking is detection and response no prevention is robust, u can immediately stop the hacked device access to Internet and save yourself the hassle.

• 3 months later...
On 1/24/2021 at 2:51 AM, Charlotte said:

Rebooted controller several times and still cannot add DLNA driver to my project.  Do I need to delete the MyMusic driver first?  I cannot find any documentation or help for the dlna driver on the Control4 site.

I ran through this one time 3 yrs ago, we backed up project, initialize controller and restored project, then we managed to add the driver ...

• 1 year later...

I've seen lots of posts on Network File Shares driver not working with newer Windows versions.   I just ran into same but got it working.   

My Home server 2011 died that was hosting my movies collection management.  So after setting up Server 2022 and adding the Essentials install from 2016 I was able to get My Movies app installed and working but not the network file share.  After messing around for some time I found the option to turn smb1 under add roles and features and selecting all the smb1 option boxes. See image below. Then quick reboot and the network share instantly connected.  My Movies was able to save the meta data to the share and fired right up in navigator.  Tomorrow I'll add my music share back.  Just wanted to let everyone know Server 2022 works well with SMB Network File Shares driver in Control4 and I'd assume Server 2019 and 2016 probably do as well.

Regards

Screen Shot 2022-11-04 at 1.40.39 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-11-04 at 2.01.35 AM.png

On 11/4/2022 at 7:59 AM, simchippy said:

I've seen lots of posts on Network File Shares driver not working with newer Windows versions.   I just ran into same but got it working.   

My Home server 2011 died that was hosting my movies collection management.  So after setting up Server 2022 and adding the Essentials install from 2016 I was able to get My Movies app installed and working but not the network file share.  After messing around for some time I found the option to turn smb1 under add roles and features and selecting all the smb1 option boxes. See image below. Then quick reboot and the network share instantly connected.  My Movies was able to save the meta data to the share and fired right up in navigator.  Tomorrow I'll add my music share back.  Just wanted to let everyone know Server 2022 works well with SMB Network File Shares driver in Control4 and I'd assume Server 2019 and 2016 probably do as well.

Regards

While I understand the passion for browsing My Movies on C4 interface, the app is ancient and had tons of issues with C4, until you find the way!

Lots of people have abandon it and moved to Zappiti, I understand the frustration of moving into a new system, but some also tried Plex and browsed contents and metadata outside C4 on the big screen which is a much preferred method!

1 hour ago, Amr said:

While I understand the passion for browsing My Movies on C4 interface, the app is ancient and had tons of issues with C4, until you find the way!

Lots of people have abandon it and moved to Zappiti, I understand the frustration of moving into a new system, but some also tried Plex and browsed contents and metadata outside C4 on the big screen which is a much preferred method!

Indeed.  I was a MyMovies fan but moved to Infuse about 5 years ago and never looked back!

I have tried infuse and Zappiti in theater room for a while, I like both but I really like having the in wall c4 panel and iPad option to select movies from vs on TV screen.  I had an original HP Home server that served me for many years and at this point it was easier for me to stay with My Movies and figure out how to redeploy it on a new server than tackle a new setup for serving up movies on all the TVs. 

3 hours ago, simchippy said:

I have tried infuse and Zappiti in theater room for a while, I like both but I really like having the in wall c4 panel and iPad option to select movies from vs on TV screen.  I had an original HP Home server that served me for many years and at this point it was easier for me to stay with My Movies and figure out how to redeploy it on a new server than tackle a new setup for serving up movies on all the TVs. 

Yeah sure, it’s a taste thing, so meta data are stored outside Controller, I understood from you it’s on the NAS?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.