C4 Forums | Control4

Problem backing up project with media information in Composer HE

fschaeffer

Hi,

When I try to backup my current project not selecting the first option (media information), the backup goes smoothly and takes less than 20 sec.

When I check the option to backup media information, 90% of the times it hangs (I have waited for more than 4 hours before giving up) on Step 3 of 3 (Backing up cover art). I say 90% because it has gone till the end sometimes and on those times it took no more than 10 sec more, totaling not more than 1 min to complete the full backup with media info.

I have a USB drive connected on my HC-300 that holds about 200 MP3 songs and 5 playlists were created.

Does anyone know if there is a bug when backing-up projects with media information?

Thanks

Sometimes when you run Windows and don't reboot for a long time, if your Control4 controller is rebooted in that time, Windows does not drop the SMB shares, but that will usually cause it to error out, not to just delay.

If that's the case, rebooting Windows solves the problem, but I'm not sure you're seeing the same error.

RyanE

• 1 month later...

Hi everybody.

I have just arrived to Control4 World - here in Brazil is not easy to build such a solution - and this is my first message. I have been having the same problem using my desktop with Windows XP. On my laptop with Vista everything goes smoothly. It is very annoying because once I had to restore a backup and was obliged to rescan all media - 9.000 mp3 files - because the backup has failed in saving the media information. My HC300 is wired to the network, same with the desktop and the sever where the songs are stored. The laptop uses wi-fi.

I thought it had something to do with the quantity of files but then the laptop would fail too. It seems there is something different winh XP and Vista.

The only time I've had problem backing up media information is when the system has been updated, and Windows has not been rebooted since.

Windows holds onto SMB handles, even if the machine it is connected to reboots, and then those shares are no longer valid.

Typically, a reboot of the windows machine causes this problem to go away.

I make it a point to always save 'with media'. The only reason you wouldn't want to do that is if you were doing it for debugging, etc.

RyanE

RyanE, haven’t you ever heard that Brazilian passports are the most valuable in the black markets? That happens because it is very difficult to distinguish a Brazilian by his o her name, skin color, etc. Surnames like Tanaka, Matsumoto, Schaeffer , Germano, Lehfeld, Tondello, Yuhasz, Sardenberg, are as Brazilian as Silva (mine), Oliveira, Souza, etc. :lol:

Back to the topic, I have just tried your suggestion and rebooted the server. Nothing changed. Then I rescanned the files: BINGO! It worked. I’m not sure if we have to reboot windows AND rescan or just rescan, but it is working fine now. :cool:

Thanks a lot.

I did reboot several times before connecting to Director, but the problem persists.

I am connected to Director (uploaded again the printscreen). When it start part 3 of 3, the green dots start to increase up to the same point where it simply hangs...

Lets try that Q again. When the problem hits are you connected or disconnected from director? I have had this problem (like every other C4 nuisance that exists) and found that there may be issues with the media file content. For example, if using just media from the Sony 777, if I fill-in DVD info manually (using search) vs. scanning the deck and leaving it the way it is, it makes a significant difference. The process will time-out often when the problem exisits.

RyanE, haven’t you ever heard that Brazilian passports are the most valuable in the black markets? That happens because it is very difficult to distinguish a Brazilian by his o her name, skin color, etc. Surnames like Tanaka, Matsumoto, Schaeffer , Germano, Lehfeld, Tondello, Yuhasz, Sardenberg, are as Brazilian as Silva (mine), Oliveira, Souza, etc. :lol:

Agreed. When I lived down there (Curitiba e Londrina), I was called 'Alemao' (German for you non-Portuguese lurkers) all the time, and knew a lot of 'Japanese Brazilians' as well. Fortunately, Erickson is an easy name for Brazilians to pronounce, although they had a bit of a tough time on 'Ryan'.

:)

RyanE

• 1 month later...

Hello again,

Quick question: Let`s say I have a USB pen-drive connected to my HC-300 with several MP3 songs. I scan them and create a few playlists. I then succesfully back up my project with the media information turned on.

I then decide to change the USB pin-drive to a larger capacity, where I have exactly the same MP3 files + a few more.

1) Will I need to recreate the playlists again manually?

2) regardless of the answear above, I'm almost sure that I will need to redo the programmimg where my playlists are called upon, correct? It seems that even though I have a new playlist with the same exact name used on my previous pin-drive, control4 will not recognize the former playlist and I need to select the new one again.

Yes, you would have to recreate the items in the playlist.

You can use the same created playlist, and remove items from it and add new items, and programming calling for the playlist should work.

The reason just copying the MP3 media to a different device, and having the playlist work is that media in Control4's media database belongs to a *device*, and when you insert the USB drive, a device is created that is for *that specific* USB drive. When you insert a different drive, it has a different device with a different deviceid created for it, and even though the same MP3 files are on the new device, the deviceid is different, so it's indexed as a different song.

Sorry.

RyanE

Archived