C4 Forums | Control4

Yamaha TSR-7850 and Control4

slash007

I need to replace an old receiver that my dealer can't get to work with C4 and was thinking of just swapping it with the Yamaha TSR-7850 that I have in my basement.  Anyone had any luck using that model with Control4?  Are there drivers available for it for IP control? 

I have had a couple of Yammy AVRs in the past and were able to use them although my AVR has unstable IP so we had to use serial instead. But that was a lot older.

I don't see that exact model but there are 346 drivers for Yamaha Receivers in the database:  https://drivers.control4.com/solr/drivers/browse?&fq=manufacturer%3A"Yamaha"&q=&fq=primaryProxy:"receiver" and 74 drivers for Yamaha receivers with IP control: https://drivers.control4.com/solr/drivers/browse?&fq=manufacturer%3A"Yamaha"&fq=primaryProxy%3A"receiver"&fq=controlMethod%3A"ip"

I have to think that you should be able to find a driver that works, but it may take some futzing around unless you know of a similar model from pretty much the same year. The AVRs in the database seem to start with RX, but sometimes these devices has different model names at stores like Amazon or BestBuy so that you can't comparison shop. Try to find an RX-A AVR that seems similar to yours and try that driver.  It looks like your AVR is a 2018 model. I

Appreciate the information.  I am currently using IP control and it's flawless, but they tried to connect it to my EA3 so that I could use it for music, but had a lot of trouble with it.  I want to be able to use my 5.1 setup with my Control 4 Music Server.  What connection is needed for that?

You mean the physical connection between the EA3 and the AVR?  There are three audio outputs of the EA3 (hence the 3 after EA) - HDMI, digital coax audio out or analog audio out. Either or all of those would work but for audio only it is generally better not to use the HDMI.

You didn't mention a Triad Matrix before.  It depends on your setup - do you have distributed audio and video or local? Is your AVR in your centralized equipment rack (or whatever) or in the room with the TV? Do you want to have surround sound in your room or just stereo?

I do have distributed audio throughout the house, no video though.  My AVR is not near the centralized rack where the EA3 resides.  I can run additional cables between the 2 areas if needed, would be around 75-100'.  Just stereo is fine, I use the settings on the receiver to set sounds to 5 channel stereo so it plays out of all 5 speakers.  Thanks!

• 2 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.