C4 Forums | Control4

1080p over component video?

3fingerbrown

I'm planning on putting in a distributed video system in my new house, with a Sony component video switcher sold by Control 4.

http://www.control4.com/products/25/55/sony_component_video_switcher/

sony_component_video_switcher_alt.jpg

The Control 4 website says this Sony switcher is 1080p capable, however my installer is saying that in reality the highest resolution will only be 1080i, and he actually recommended using 720p for everything because 720p it is smoother than 1080i.

Many sources on the web say that component video is capable of carrying a 1080p signal, but I've read elsewhere that the CEA hasn't approved component video over 1080p.

Can anyone make sense of all this? For example, if I hook a 1080p blu-ray player with component video feeding to this Sony video switcher and then cat6 to HDMI at the TV, can I get a 1080p result on my Hi-def TV?

Thanks!

Component has the bandwidth to carry 1080p but there are not too many devices that will send or receive 1080p over component. The reason that component is limited to 1080i is our *friends* in Hollywood pushed to limit 1080p to HDMI only.

You BluRay will probably not send 1080p out of its' component outputs and will down convert to a lower resolution..

This is true. There are devices out there that will output 1080p over component and accept 1080p on component inputs, they are just few and far between.

There is not going to be a noticeable difference anyway in 1080i/1080p, because if your display is native 1080p as most are, it will deinterlace it and display it as 1080p. In fact, depending on how big your displays are, you may have a hard time notcing the difference between 1080p and 720p in 99% cases < 60". Other factors like source material quality, contrast, etc. make a bigger difference on perceived picutre quality moreso than resolution alone.

Run dual Cat6 to the TV locations as well. For the reasons mentioned, component may have future limitations, but it seems HDMI over Cat5e/6 cable will be there, and when HDMI gives way to some other technology, some enterprising company will figure out how to carry it over Cat cable. When I've been able to run conduit as well, it helps me sleep better at night and not worry if I've run the right cabling.

I posted this on AVS and it fits in here.

The problem that no one is realizing or even mentioning, is that all video over component will only be at 576i. This is due to the AACS. You will no longer be able to send anything higher than 576i over component. You won't be able to send 720i, 720p or 1080i and don't even think about 1080p over component. As of December 31, 2010 this takes effect on all new players manufactured. Fast forward 3 years, to December 31, 2013, and all players manufactured will not be able to have any component outputs on it at all.

If you think you are safe with your current player and component remember that the studios can, and will start, implementing the Image Constraint Token which limits the output resolution over component to what ever they feel. Since the AACS states that nothing higher than 576i be allowed over component the studios will start to down size to that resolution after December 31, 2010.

This goes for any and all devices that transmit video. DVD players, Cable/Satellite Boxes, Video Servers, HTPC/PC, etc.

Food for thought.

Thanks to everyone for the responses. The "just add power" HDMI over IP sounds like amazing technology, I'm very anxious for the driver to become available and implemented in the control 4 world.

It seems that component video is in the sunset stage, and at this point I'm not sold on it. Fortunately I have the luxury of time to wait and see how HDMI over IP pans out, but it appears to be the future. I bet it won't be that long before TVs have this technology integrated into them.

I posted this on AVS and it fits in here.

The problem that no one is realizing or even mentioning, is that all video over component will only be at 576i. This is due to the AACS. You will no longer be able to send anything higher than 576i over component. You won't be able to send 720i, 720p or 1080i and don't even think about 1080p over component. As of December 31, 2010 this takes effect on all new players manufactured. Fast forward 3 years, to December 31, 2013, and all players manufactured will not be able to have any component outputs on it at all.

If you think you are safe with your current player and component remember that the studios can, and will start, implementing the Image Constraint Token which limits the output resolution over component to what ever they feel. Since the AACS states that nothing higher than 576i be allowed over component the studios will start to down size to that resolution after December 31, 2010.

This goes for any and all devices that transmit video. DVD players, Cable/Satellite Boxes, Video Servers, HTPC/PC, etc.

Food for thought.

GoGo, do you have any links that I can ready up on that explain how component will be limited to 576i starting in 2011?

Thanks.

Yes please GoGo. I have asked loads of questions about 1080i/p and what kit is best used for distribution and each time people say use a component matrix - it delivers 1080p. So I am considering buying a component matrix but if what you say is true the kit will be underperforming in a years time and will be obsolete in 3 1/2 years time. Probably won't have much of a sell-on value either. Should I therefore be considering an HDMI matrix?

The december 2010 deadline only applies to items MANUFACTURED after that time. So for now, it's a non issue. Buy what works and suits your needs today, worry about tomorrow when you have to.

I doubt we will see a widespread use of the ICT, just because they can, it doesn't mean they will downrez the content. Blu-ray aside, the broadcasters haven't been very keen on forcing content protection on the consumer and there is always the FCC's penchant to say "no" to any enforcement.

Component just works today, HDMI is a headache and very susceptible to issues in the field. There are a LOT of great Component matrix devices that are rock solid and cheap when compared to the HDMI offerings. I'd give the HDMI matrix market a lot more time to mature before I start spec'ing it in client homes.

Here's the applicable language...looks pretty clear to me.

That's quite a statement.

2.2.2.1 Analog Sunset – 2010. With the exception of Existing Models,

any Licensed Player manufactured after December 31, 2010 shall

limit analog video outputs for Decrypted AACS Content to SD

Interlace Modes only. Existing Models may be manufactured and

sold by Adopter up until December 31, 2011. Notwithstanding the

foregoing, Adopter may continue to manufacture and sell an

Existing Model in which the implementation of AACS Technology

is a Robust Inactive Product after December 31, 2010 provided

that when such Robust Inactive Product is activated through a

Periodic Update, such Periodic Update results in a Licensed Player

that limits analog video outputs for Decrypted AACS Content to

SD Interlace Modes only. Nothing in this section shall be

interpreted to override limitations or obligations stated in any other

section of this Agreement.

For purposes of this section, “SD Interlace Modes” shall mean

composite video, s-video, 480i component video and 576i video.

2.2.2.2 Analog Sunset – 2013. No Licensed Player that passes Decrypted

AACS Content to analog video outputs may be

• 2 months later...

No idea what will happen, but if "they" want to stop component video, they can design the spec so that it is not backwards compatible so it doesn't work. That seems to be the underlying goal so I am not hopeful in the long run, except that there seems to be smart work-around products that seem to usually come out.

Archived