C4 Forums | Control4

Concord 4 with Ooma VOIP

akg4y

Is anyone here using the Concord 4 security system with VOIP, specifically Ooma? Up until now I had no land line and my security system would report phone failure whenever it was armed or disarmed... I installed Ooma last night (awesome by the way, clear voice, no delay, one time fee for hardware and no monthly fee... I highly recommend it, especially if you barely use a land line in the first place like us) and for the first few hours it still showed phone failure but now that message is gone...

Im wondering if I could get it to work with a monitoring system now since it seems to be working.... anybody try this?

No the failure message was before I got Ooma, when my regular landline was disconnected. With Ooma I have no failure message, which is what makes me think it is working. I wonder if there is any way to test if the Concord4 can dial out...

• 3 weeks later...

The GE Concord 4 is an analog panel NOT DIGITAL! This means that VOIP is not compatible with a Concord 4. To the earlier user.... YES a dial tone is a dial tone. But during the up and down conversions from analog to VOIP there will be packet loss. Hence giving you a phone failure on the concord keypad. From my experience the panel will call out to the central station and recieve the signals, however usually wont communicate back to the panel letting you know that the attempt was a success. Which is why you would recieve a phone failure message. There is no TCP/ip module for the concord 4 to communicate over an IP address or the internet.I install a few of these a month and have plenty of experience with these panels.

^Sorry I must disagree... see panel below.

Picture023.jpg

At the top right is the Linksys VOIP module, below it is a Comcast modem serving 30mbs down and 2mbs up. This client has Control4 w/ a Concord4 panel. 11 months in use and not a single problem yet.

Could be a hardware limitation in play somewhere? Or maybe it's the net speed? Don't know, but it works like a charm.

Spent some time with the guy at DSC in charge of communications last week, very interesting discussion and helped me understand why VOIP can be so hit or miss. He is in charge of the receivers that the central stations use to communicate with the panels, so he had a very high level of expertise in the entire process.

Using cable provider VOIP is a completely different animal that using an internet VOIP provider.

Cable networks are considered "Managed Voice Networks" as the cable company controls the entire path until it hands the call off on the telco side. Since they control the entire pathway, they can ensure that protocols like ContactID are passed correctly.

The major cable providers (Verizon, Quest, Brighthouse, Comcast, etc) perform alarm contact ID testing and certification on their networks and they are recognized by the alarm industry as reliable platforms. There is even an exception granted in the latest fire alarm standards to provide for these "managed voice networks" as primary communication paths. NOTE, not all cable providers are considered reliable.

Most of the problems with internet VOIP providers and alarm panel communications are a result of the protocols the provider is using to pass voice. Most of them do not use a version which allows the systems to communicate reliably, and if the protocol is swapped at any point in the unmanaged network, the alarm communication can fail. That's why VOIP on an unmanaged network can work at times, and not at other times. And any change, firmware update or router update can break a once functional connection.

^ Very interesting info.

I just went back and looked at what we did at that job above. We did not use Comcast for VOIP, we used our own VOIP service on that one, and it had nothing to do with the the Concord4.

We used a GE Cellular Antenna mounted in the attic for communications on that one, through alarm.com. (apologies for disagreeing w/ C4wirepro).

• 1 year later...

Archived