C4 Forums | Control4

composer HE

Enthusiast

Basically my dealer recently installed my system. I bought composer HE and have no idea how to use it. Is there a thread I can look into or place I can go for some basics. Also how do you update your copy of composer home my version is different than what is currently installed. Thanks.

1.7.3.20 if I'm not mistaken. I'm just a little upset that composer appears to be very powerful in terms of programming for the consumer. I think my dealer is concerned that he will loose profits by me having this software. Also why isn't there a basic manual on how to use composer.

1.7.3.20 if I'm not mistaken. I'm just a little upset that composer appears to be very powerful in terms of programming for the consumer. I think my dealer is concerned that he will loose profits by me having this software. Also why isn't there a basic manual on how to use composer.

1.7.3.20 is the most recent version of Composer HE as well as the latest version of 1.7.3 system software.

Your dealer can send you a link to upgrade Composer HE. You should always run the same version of Composer HE which matches your C4 system software version.

I can't speak to your dealer's concern about loss of profit because you have composer. I can tell you that you can really mess your system up very quickly with Composer HE if you don't know what you are doing. A valid concern *could* be that you would make changes and then call your dealer and complain that the system is not working and blame the failures on the dealer.

I don't have a copy of Composer HE but I am fairly sure there is a help menu that has a lot of information.

Edit:

I am looking at the Compose HE quick Start guide right now. It contains the following

This QuickStart Guide has provided a high-level overview of the capabilities

of Composer Home Edition (HE). For additional information, please refer to

the online help in Composer HE or the User Guide included as a PDF file on your

Composer HE CD.

First off I would like to thank those who wrote back. I also would like to say that I miss spoke in my previous post. What I meant was that I think its great that control4 has home edition. The power of home edition puts power into the consumers hands and actually greatly boosts the enjoyment of the system. Ironically and not to my surprise I have already found things in HE that will improve my system. I just don't understand why it is that HE doesn't update itself. Also why is this mysterious update link such a secret if you've already paid for HE?

Well, the reason it doesnt update itself is simple, that new firmware updates are the only reasons that you need a new version of composer HE. New firmware updates may contain new features that are incompatible with your current gear, or the version of HE that you are using, and using a mis-matched version of composer can be detrimental to your system. This is why they don't auto-update, because they want you to be aware of the pros and cons of the new firmware, so you can decide and have your dealer do it, as opposed to "oh crap I downloaded the update and found a bug and now my system is borked and I can't roll back to a previous version". It's a small measure of prevention. :)

Part of the issue is that ComposerHE is built from the same source as ComposerPro, and it's necessary for dealers to have multiple versions of the software, not just the latest.

From a homeowner perspective, sure, only the latest that they're upgraded to is good, but for a dealer, that wouldn't work.

RyanE

• 1 month later...

Is Composer HE something you can download off the C4 website or a third party like the sohoshop, or do you have to buy it on a CD?

Obviously it needs to be tied into the install done by your dealer, and needs to be the same version as your project...so are there any dangers of say using HE from one dealer and the version of Composer Pro from another?

Composer HE just needs to match your version number. It comes on a CD, which includes the activation key, but it can be downloaded as well. It doesn't get activated to your project or anything, and doesn't require being installed by a dealer.

You just need to software with an activation key.

If you choose obtain a copy of Composer Pro and attempt to utilize it, that is up to you.

Ok. I thought customers getting a copy of Composer Pro was frowned upon. In any case, I'd rather stick with HE. This will do me for now. So where can I download it. How much, and who can I buy the activation key from? Email me if you want.

Your dealer can sell you a copy of Composer HE. I think it is $149.00. Composer HE includes a year of 4Sight.

Once you have Compose HE you can install it on your computer and then log into your my.control4.com account and add in the license key.

As mentioned the Composer HE needs to match the C4 system software version. If your dealer upgrades your C4 system you will need to download the new version of Composer HE. Upgrades to Composer HE are free and are included in your original purchase price.

On a related topic. I purchased HE, and the CD in the box is 1.6. My controler's are running 1.7.3. I have added the registration code to my account on my.control4.com, and it shows up under the subscription tab, but when I do to the donload tab, my only download choices are Media Edition.

I would assume that sice I've entered the registration code on my.control4.com, I should be able to download the the latest version since I own a valid license.

Any Ideas? Any help is much appreciated.

Scott

On a related topic. I purchased HE, and the CD in the box is 1.6. My controler's are running 1.7.3. I have added the registration code to my account on my.control4.com, and it shows up under the subscription tab, but when I do to the donload tab, my only download choices are Media Edition.

I would assume that sice I've entered the registration code on my.control4.com, I should be able to download the the latest version since I own a valid license.

Any Ideas? Any help is much appreciated.

Scott

Your dealer can send the download link to the 1.7.3x version you're running. my.control4.com isn't dynamic in that it knows what version you need, knows that youve purchased a valid key, etc so that's why its better for now to have your dealer send the right link.

Thanks codeman, my dealer said he'd see what he could do (new CD, link, etc.) , but in the meantime i've got a bunch of 6 button's panels I'm salivating to play around with.

Seems like C4 could preset a list of current and past versions like many sites do for their software.

Scott

Seems like C4 could preset a list of current and past versions like many sites do for their software.

Scott

Yes, they could, but then there's the potential for you inadvertently downloading and installing the latest version of HE, thinking that you're on the "latest version" of the firmware on your system, when you're actually one or two behind. It could work a number on your system.

Thanks codeman, my dealer said he'd see what he could do (new CD, link, etc.) , but in the meantime i've got a bunch of 6 button's panels I'm salivating to play around with.

Scott

Isn't there an update selection in the Help menu of Composer HE?

Archived