C4 Forums | Control4

Third party driver poll

thecodeman

There's not a way to create a poll on this forum, that I can see... but we're going to be doing some R&D on creating drivers for third party products and want to know which ones are in demand. We can't really do anything for HVAC, since that's not an easy one to do on the bench - and are more focused on a/v gear, etc. So to start it off here are a few that we have in mind, in no particular order:

Popcorn Hour two-way driver

Logitech Squeezebox two-way driver - specifically the Transporter

Sonos two-way driver

Boxee two-way driver

Any others? Network cameras? Receiver lines? etc?

I'll have access to a PCH soon so hopefully we can get started on it. I'll let this run for about a week and will update this post with # of votes for the devices. We will probably do one each quarter. This will be a multi-dealer collaboration so if any other dealers want to get involved and have skills or gear to offer drop us a line. We all know the better the integration is, the more Control4 will sell.

Poll results:

Updated 9150 Driver - 2 votes

two-way Rako light driver - 1 vote

Plex for Mac Mini two way - 4 votes

PCH-200 two-way driver - 2 votes

Sonos driver - 3 votes (I voted for wappinghigh while he's on vacation, we're buddies now :) )

Denon x10 series driver - 2 votes

Boxee - 1 vote

Onkyo 605 driver fix - 1 vote

New integra line of receivers - 1 vote

Solutions:

Rako light driver - Rako is a British based lighting system that is mainly wireless based. Ideal for retrofits it includes dimmers, relays and 0-10V control devices. This makes it more flexible than the current Control4 retrofit solution which doesn't include relays or 0-10v dimmers. Rako switches are also wireless and require no cables at all.

The Rako Control4 driverworks driver provides two-way control of the Rako lighting. From within Control4 you can define the Rako dimmers and switches and then use the familiar Control4 lighting interfaces and scenes. Rako lighting does not provide feedback of the lighting levels of each dimmer (this is a Lutron patent). However the driver does allow Control4 to respond to key presses on the Rako keypads. This allows a full two way lighting system to be created.

Full documentation is supplied. Example Control4 configuration included within the package.

The driver is provided by ExtraVegetables and costs 100 sterling pounds + VAT and is sold only to Control4 dealers. This cost does not include the time and labor of your dealer setting it up in your system. Contact your dealer for more information, and if they don't know about it I can pass along contact information.

Plex Media Player for Mac Mini... would probably be an edit of the XBMC driver, and anyone the uses Plex probably knows the huge advantages it has over the PH or even the upcoming C4 Media Player.

Panasonic Network Cameras (ability to trigger events from the camera's motion detection/mics - not sure if that would be driver related or not)

FYI...

There's no functionality in the camera's protocol to know when the motion detection is triggered, and the C++ Control4 driver / Navigator support doesn't support audio, and that can't be changed by making a DriverWorks driver.

RyanE

FYI...

There's no functionality in the camera's protocol to know when the motion detection is triggered, and the C++ Control4 driver / Navigator support doesn't support audio, and that can't be changed by making a DriverWorks driver.

RyanE

Cool, thanks for the info.

I vote for the popcornhour. There is an IR driver for the 100/110 series, but I am not sure if the newest popcorn is supported at all (c200).

It just came out, but I would be surprised that the (optional) ir control is that much different. I'll add your vote, thanks!

what causes the sr-250 to crap out? I have one and it seems to work fine.

Don't quite have that answer yet. But it seems from my experience that the issues are worse with multiple 250's in a project. The ones I've done with only 1 have never had issues. With multiples we've seen a variety of problems from random rebooting, froven up, huge lag, etc. There's an 11 page thread on the dealer forums reporting the issues, but still no acknowledgment from C4 that there is a problem.

My post above was meant to be humorous :D

Edit for typo.

Id like to vote for Plex.

That guy up above with the same username is my twin, so this is a new vote. Really.

I also have multiple personalities, and each of the 5 of them wants to vote for Plex. Count those votes as you will.

What's the advantage, that it only runs on Mac? I kid, I kid... :P

1 vote here... for a properly working SR-250 driver that keeps it from constantly crapping out :lol:

I haven't had either of mine crap out, but I do have a weird problem when scrolling through devices one of the device names will be blank, I haven't noticed a pattern yet, but I've only had the remotes for a couple of days.

Byron

Archived