C4 Forums | Control4

Best new receiver for C4

C4Newbie

I know there are some new receivers with C4 drivers out. What's best for Sirius, internet radio, video, 2 channels, and shockingly FM radio two way support? So I listen to a lot of FM radio and would like to be able to change and see what stations are playing from my 7" panels.

Thanks,

• 1 month later...

so the c4 tuner is not really necessary , you can use the onkyo, or denon and still have whole house audio but then i guess each room would have to listen to one station but the c4 would allow you to play a different station in another ?

so the c4 tuner is not really necessary , you can use the onkyo, or denon and still have whole house audio but then i guess each room would have to listen to one station but the c4 would allow you to play a different station in another ?

The C4 Multi-tuner has 2 audio outs so you could play 2 different AM or FM stations at the same time. It also has an XM option.

• 1 month later...

Do any of the C4 certified Denon, Sony, or NAD receivers now provide 2 way FM control? How about internet radio control? Would be nice to see and control FM stations (not just presets) and Internet radio stations from a C4 touch panel.

Yes, there is a 2-way serial driver for the zTuner.

That's what I use at my home.

RyanE

What's the benefit of this tuner over the C4 tuner? Also, what is the XBMC driver?

Ryan, do you know if the Sony STR-DA5500ES with Control4 support should have this 2 way tuner functionality?

http://www.digitaltechnews.com/news/2009/09/sony-strda5500es-and-strda3500es-av-receivers-.html

I don't know for certain if the Sony receiver will support the tuner functionality, but I would be surprised if it didn't.

I use the zTuner because when I got it, the v.1 tuner from Control4 was the available tuner, and it didn't work too well at my house (I'm behind some mountains, I needed a really strong tuner, and the zTuner worked great).

The current rev of the C4 tuner works much better, but I haven't switched back yet.

Besides, I work a lot with 3rd parties, so I like to have 3rd-party gear running my house. I also use Aprilaire thermostats, not the C4 ones. Already had them, they work fine.

RyanE

I don't know for certain if the Sony receiver will support the tuner functionality, but I would be surprised if it didn't.

I use the zTuner because when I got it, the v.1 tuner from Control4 was the available tuner, and it didn't work too well at my house (I'm behind some mountains, I needed a really strong tuner, and the zTuner worked great).

The current rev of the C4 tuner works much better, but I haven't switched back yet.

Besides, I work a lot with 3rd parties, so I like to have 3rd-party gear running my house. I also use Aprilaire thermostats, not the C4 ones. Already had them, they work fine.

RyanE

So what about these "certified" receivers from Denon, etc? If they are being certified, what is the process for that? Wouldn't they support two way FM control as well as many of the other Receivers features? I just want to pick the best receiver that will support 3+ zones, two way FM control, obviously A/V, and hopefully Internet Radio.

http://c4central.com/2010/01/06/more-information-on-control4-certified-devices-from-ces-control4-iq-explained/

I don't want to be DebbiDowner.

But we have not seen what the new "certification" process does. Just because they announce something at a trade show does not mean dealers have seen it in action.

Sometimes we have the correct info 20 minutes before your do.

I am not complaining but I am trying to explain

So what about these "certified" receivers from Denon, etc? If they are being certified, what is the process for that? Wouldn't they support two way FM control as well as many of the other Receivers features? I just want to pick the best receiver that will support 3+ zones, two way FM control, obviously A/V, and hopefully Internet Radio.

http://c4central.com/2010/01/06/more-information-on-control4-certified-devices-from-ces-control4-iq-explained/

I have one of the new Denon AVR-xx10CI series receivers... and I really like it. There are new C4 IR drivers for the xx10 series, but not serial. My system is set-up with an older C4 Denon serial driver, which works fine for the majority of regularly used functions, but only OK for the more advanced features. I am able to access FM channels from the remote and Navigator, but have no touch screens in my system. I've mentioned this in other posts, but was disappointed to find the multizone features do not work well (despite C4 highlighting the mutlizone capabilities of Denon receivers in their press releases). I think this is more of an issue related to having the latest C4 drivers, rather than a problem with the Denon. And if you poke around the forum a little bit, you'll find some ongoing debate on using multizone receivers at all (regardless of manufacturer). And you'll also find debate about C4 drivers.

Happy to answer any other questions about the Denon receiver.

I don't want to be DebbiDowner.

But we have not seen what the new "certification" process does. Just because they announce something at a trade show does not mean dealers have seen it in action.

Sometimes we have the correct info 20 minutes before your do.

I am not complaining but I am trying to explain

+1.

Do the new Integra receivers include the C4 drivers? Where would one get a list of products that come

with C4 drivers? Thanks in advance. Setting up a new home theater and any ideas are appreciated.

There's no list. The driver is either created by Control4 or your dealer. See this thread for additonal information.

http://c4forums.com/viewtopic.php?id=4660

IMO, Receivers should be used in single zones where 5/6/7 channels of surround sound are needed. For distributed audio, the Control4 multichannel amps are available in increments of 4 or 8 zones (two speakers in a zone). For single zones of audio only less than 4, use an ethernet speakerpoint. For distributing AM/FM/XM, the Control4 tuner does this very well.

Archived