C4 Forums | Control4

The basics of Solar - and how some are using it with C4.

thecodeman

http://www.cepro.com/article/the_basics_of_solar_installations/K332

The article mentions the installer using Lutron Homeworks for light control, which you could do with Control4's dimmers or use Control4 to talk to Lutron with the Homeworks driver (driverworks, available since May 09 and requires the Lutron HomeWorks® P5 processor.). Control4's "energy dashboard" (Maybe the TED?) is the front-end.

Looks pretty nifty.

Last I read solar still wasnt really cost effective for the average homeowner, even the control 4 average homeowner... It has progressed quite a bit but there will probably be leaps in evolution of the technology in the next few years, dont you think?

I was considering having solar panels installed on my house when it was being built but basically everything I read pointed towards waiting 3-5 years.

It depends a great deal on where you live. Here in California a combination of three factors made it economical for us: (1) we have tons of sun, and great southern exposure on the panels; (2) we get a special rate from PG&E that allows us to offset the cost of our nighttime usage by the extra electricity that we produce during the day (we feed back into the grid during the day, and pull from it at night); and (3) we got a nice rebate from the state that knocked down the initial investment.

It's been pointing towards "ready in about 5 years" since at least the 70's.

I certainly *hope* the new advancements show up and work as well as people are saying, but I've heard it before.

That said, if the base cost of electricity goes up significantly (as in CA), I guess it'll be cost effective without improving the technology...

RyanE

• 4 years later...

OK - I searched for solar integration and this is the thread that came up - I will be installing a solar array in ten days. The cost per kwh is 8.00 cents. Yup - eight cents per kwh - yes - that is if I amortize the cost of about 27 thousand over 25 years. BUT - cost of electricity is going up dramatically here in Texas and projected to go up quite a bit very soon. I have a Landis ang Gyr meter and an EcoP250 unit that tells me my usage directly from my meter - it would seem that since it uses ZIGBEE to communicate to the ECOP250 that I could just as easily send information to a C4 receiver. 

This would allow me to make decisions based on my current usage.

Is there anyone that has interfaces to a Landis & Gyr meter which uses Zigbee for communication?

http://www.ru.landisgyr.com/landisgyr-releases-next-generation-ecometer-in-home-energy-monitor/

http://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=A86.J76.k9dTbBAAzLEPxQt.;_ylu=X3oDMTBsOXB2YTRjBHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2dxMQR2dGlkAw--?_adv_prop=image&fr=yhs-ironsource-fullyhosted_003&va=ecometer+p250+landis+gyr&hspart=ironsource&hsimp=yhs-fullyhosted_003

Thanks,

Bill

I started reading this thread and scratching my head.  Then I noticed the start date of 2009.  Even today, I would say that the cost for solar and the yield from a single panel/inverter is not up to par with the masses.  Nonetheless, I too will install one of the most expensive systems on the market today- Sunpower.  Even using the world record holder panel, it will be 10 years to break-even based on my crappy roof layout. 

For me, utilizing the ABB inverter's WiFi signal/hub and eGauge, that will be more info than any meter could give me.  I think Turls is up on all this stuff so you can look at those threads too.

^Yeah, lat is not really prime there is it.  SolarCity?  Yelp shows not so good reviews here in LA.  I see their Prius and other crunchable cars roaming around here everyday.  I went with a firm that specializes in providing up-front engineering and buddy-buddy relationship with the FD here.  Fire code was a PITA for me but my guys greased the skids righteously.

I started reading this thread and scratching my head.  Then I noticed the start date of 2009.  Even today, I would say that the cost for solar and the yield from a single panel/inverter is not up to par with the masses.  Nonetheless, I too will install one of the most expensive systems on the market today- Sunpower.  Even using the world record holder panel, it will be 10 years to break-even based on my crappy roof layout. 

For me, utilizing the ABB inverter's WiFi signal/hub and eGauge, that will be more info than any meter could give me.  I think Turls is up on all this stuff so you can look at those threads too.

My inverter is a Fronius I think - it will take me way more than ten years at 8 cents a kWh to payt back the money - but if that goes up (which I highly suspect that it will) my pay back will be much quicker.

Bill

Fronius eh?  Buy American!  Actually, I wanted all USA-assembled goods for my system but the thought of the inverter component going belly-up just before break-even point didn't appeal.  Problem is the warranty period is very optimistic with most of these inverters.  My decision to go ABB boiled-down to company staying power.  I've purchased million-dollar inverters from them and associated service for those and it's a top-notch/world-class experience.

Did you not consider micros?  If your string job goes down, you stop producing completely.

Archived