C4 Forums | Control4

Not communicating with Director and matrix amp crashes my network

I am setting up a system in multiple rooms on my showroom. I started with 1 MC (Master), 2 HTC's, 1 mini-touch, 16 channel amp, and 1 10.5 touchscreen.

The biggest issues I have had during my initial setup is that the 2 HTC's suddenly now say not communicating with Director. I go to the info are and see the media center director but it won't let me navigate and select connect to director. In composer, the network status shows they are online. I can connect directly through system manager.

The other issue is that if I plug the 16 channel amp into the network, it shuts down the internet and the whole network. It doesn't work real well on Zigbee. Any ideas?

BTW, everything is on static ip except the Matrix AMP, as I didn't see that option for that piece.

It sounds like some serious chatter going on your network. I would put all of the C4 equipment on their own network using another router. I would also make sure that you have not identified the Zigbee portion of the AMP in Composer as this will cause problems also.

... 2 HTC's suddenly now say not communicating with Director...

Try resetting the HTCs by holding down the ID button on the front for a few seconds till the LEDs turn off. Once done, use System Manager to make sure the Director has been disabled on these devices. Then try re-identifying them through Composer.

The other issue is that if I plug the 16 channel amp into the network, it shuts down the internet and the whole network.

My first reaction was that the CAT cable is stuffed, not terminated correctly or there is an issue with the Amp RJ45 plug, or maybe the network switches RJ45 plug. I would first crimp another cable from the switch the Amp. If the same stuff still happens, place a laptop of the same network switch RJ45 port and see what happens. If this works, you have narrowed it down to the RJ45 connection on the Amp. Before sending it back, identify it via ZigBee and let it sit on overnight. This way, you are ensuring that it has the latest firmware on it. Repeat tests.

For the HTCs not communicating with the Director, all you need to do is go into Info and then Director and tell them which controller at which IP address they should be looking for. They say "Not communicating with director" because the internal Director is disabled because you are using the MC as the Director server.

I ended up on the phone with tech support for an hour to find out I got a bad HTC. They gave me an RMA and I put a new one in a it worked.

As far as the amp goes, I plugged it into a different access point and for some reason it works fine now. Weird.

Thanks to all for your suggestions

Archived