C4 Forums | Control4

Wii power

tebery

I think GoGo wired the little Wii bar all the way from a TV on a different floor back to the Wii console and it worked fine. Can a Wii turn on via the controllers like an Xbox 360 can? If so, theres the answer...

I don't think so. I could be wrong, but I think all the wireless outlet switch could be used for in this application is to shut it off (obviously) and monitor the state based on power consumption.

The Wii remotes turn the Wii on and off, so why does it need to be write there? You can buy a wireless sensor bar.

When the Wii loses power and power is restored the Wii will not come back on to the state is was when it had power. You will have to physically press the Wii power button to turn it on or the power button on the Wiimote. With that said, using the USB port on the Wii you can set it to trigger an event when current is sensed (5+v) by C4. I have done this via Crestron obviously, but you should be able to do it through C4 also.

I personally do not turn off my Wii.

Hope that helps. Any questions feel free to ask.

Gogo

So assuming there's a ir bar creating the proper field in front of the tv and the wii video (and audio) is available in that location as well .... do you know how far from the controller the wii remotes will actually function ? Just wondering what the distance limitation are.

Aren't they bluetooth paired and just use the IR for directional? I heard that you could use a candle if you wanted instead of the ir bar. I dont have my wii anymore to verify, but...? Sounds dumb I know.

How in the world would a candle replace an IR bar?

Are we both seeing a candle as the same things here?

479px-Candle-flame-and-reflection-main_Full.jpg

Gogo

So assuming there's a ir bar creating the proper field in front of the tv and the wii video (and audio) is available in that location as well .... do you know how far from the controller the wii remotes will actually function ? Just wondering what the distance limitation are.

We have had the wireless bar as far as 25 feet from the Wii unit itself without any issues at all. The bar I use is the Nyko bar. Don't forget though distance depends on MANY, MANY factors. That 25 feet represents one room, on one floor and only one wall. Meaning the Wii was in the next room , the den which is 25 feet away, with only one wall separating the rooms. We have been able to do this scenario with 2 rooms. The room the Wii is located in is in the center of the 2 rooms with one wall in each room between the controller and the Wii unit.

The layout is somewhat like an L shape

Bedroom

----------

- 25ft -

----------

Great Room (Wii) |- 25ft -| Den

Any Q's let me know.

Gogo

We have had the wireless bar as far as 25 feet from the Wii unit itself without any issues at all. The bar I use is the Nyko bar. Don't forget though distance depends on MANY' date=' MANY factors. That 25 feet represents one room, on one floor and only one wall. Meaning the Wii was in the next room , the den which is 25 feet away, with only one wall separating the rooms. We have been able to do this scenario with 2 rooms. The room the Wii is located in is in the center of the 2 rooms with one wall in each room between the controller and the Wii unit.

The layout is somewhat like an L shape

Bedroom

----------

- 25ft -

----------

Great Room (Wii) |- 25ft -| Den

Any Q's let me know.[/quote']

Got it. Thanks a bunch James !

I have my wii centralized and ran component plus a/v cables from there to my switch in the basement. I have 4 wireless wii bars above each tv and play the wii on all of them without problems. When you power off the wii remote it powers of the wii and vice versa. My furthest tv is probably 50 feet away from the wii.

ok lemme clear up some things about the sensor bar, it doesn't actually have any IR recievers built in, just transmitters. NOTHING goes from the sensor bar to the wii. Everything is transmitted via bluetooth to the wii by the wiimote. The best way to do a remote wii install would be to just plug in the sensor bar (the wii recognizes when it isn't plugged in) and use a wireless sensor bar in the room where you want to use the wii (http://www.amazon.com/Wii-Wireless-Sensor-Bar-nintendo/dp/B000LFJNG6) also available at best buy. you will only be limited by the effective distance of the bluetooth connection

Archived