C4 Forums | Control4

Controlling backlight/LEDs with any button press in the dark

I have an ask for a very sensitive sleeper. The user wants all backlights and LEDs in their room to be off when the dark threshold is reached on a C4 6 button keypad. However, they want to be able mash the keypad, have the LEDs/backlight turn on for a period (30 seconds?), show the current status of the keypad LEDs, make an adjustment, and then have it darken after so many seconds of inactivity. I am trying to get my head around a way to do this and I am coming up empty or with really ugly solutions (a zillion "if" statements and timers). Is there driver (3rd party or otherwise) for this or some obvious way that I am not thinking of?

• 10 months later...
On 5/6/2021 at 11:25 AM, msgreenf said:

Coming back to this almost a year later.... That driver did not do what I was asking for here, but the developer just added it as a "night mode" per my request. Half PSA (at least I think the feature is super useful as I asked for it) half followup/closure for anyone else searching the forum.

15 hours ago, BubbaDuck said:

Coming back to this almost a year later.... That driver did not do what I was asking for here, but the developer just added it as a "night mode" per my request. Half PSA (at least I think the feature is super useful as I asked for it) half followup/closure for anyone else searching the forum.

Thanks for the feedback - good to hear.  I must say that Domosapiens ( @pbir) make great drivers.  I have been meaning to try this one out forever and probably will following this prompt 🙂

Paul is the man. We went back and forth for a few weeks tweaking and getting it just right. I’m amazed this isn’t native functionality honestly. My wife was always complaining about how the keypads next to the bed either kept her up OR she had no idea the status of things as they were blacked out in the dark. The night mode allows you to mash any or all or a subset of buttons on the keypad (he has a debounce built in so you don’t accidentally trigger something from the initial grope in the dark mash), the LEDs and optionally the backlight light up for a set time period, you do your adjustments, it goes back to black out. 

2 hours ago, BubbaDuck said:

Paul is the man. We went back and forth for a few weeks tweaking and getting it just right. I’m amazed this isn’t native functionality honestly. My wife was always complaining about how the keypads next to the bed either kept her up OR she had no idea the status of things as they were blacked out in the dark. The night mode allows you to mash any or all or a subset of buttons on the keypad (he has a debounce built in so you don’t accidentally trigger something from the initial grope in the dark mash), the LEDs and optionally the backlight light up for a set time period, you do your adjustments, it goes back to black out. 

Very cool! I do all of this already but use lots of programming to achieve what I want… hence the driver seems like a great idea to simplify things for me.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.