C4 Forums | Control4

Driver Released: Apple HomeKit and Siri Voice control Driver for Homebridge

To All the Active User of the Driver

In our latest Major Update of the driver we have Added support for TV in Home App.  Now User can Create a scenes in Home App for a Source and when Executed with Siri it will get perfectly synced with Control4.

Please PM if anyone wants to try out before we release the final version. Your Inputs will be greatly appreciated.

So I have the Varietas driver running and manage everything myself within Homebridge running on a Pi.  Would I have to have access to Composer in order to make any updates in Homebridge with this driver.  Does this driver offer the ability to power off/on a room (TV, Receiver) and select the source (AppleTV, Cable, Blu-Ray)?

Thanks,

Dave

5 hours ago, dppeak said:

So I have the Varietas driver running and manage everything myself within Homebridge running on a Pi.  Would I have to have access to Composer in order to make any updates in Homebridge with this driver.  Does this driver offer the ability to power off/on a room (TV, Receiver) and select the source (AppleTV, Cable, Blu-Ray)?

Thanks,

Dave

Yes, Driver offer all the Watch Source list Selection. Best way to do source selection is by making Scenes in Home app.

When You select source it will be perfectly synced with Control4 and Power on/off of rooms also works. 

Currently I use an Apple TV connected to my audio matrix to play Apple Music. I can use Siri on my phone to select what Apple Music content to play BUT I have to use a touchscreen or the control4 app to select “kitchen listen Apple TV”.

With your driver, are you able to select a music source in control4 with siri? 

So am I understanding this correctly?  Items under Watch show up as a TV accessory in HomeKit with each item (Apple TV, Cable, Blu-Ray) appearing as different inputs, is this right?  What about items under Listen?  Do they show as a Speaker accessory?

14 hours ago, dppeak said:

So am I understanding this correctly?  Items under Watch show up as a TV accessory in HomeKit with each item (Apple TV, Cable, Blu-Ray) appearing as different inputs, is this right?  What about items under Listen?  Do they show as a Speaker accessory?

Yes All Your Watch Devices will Appear in TV Accessory.

Listen or i can say speakers are not currently supported in Home app as Homekit only supports Airplay 2 Speakers.

Could you use a dummy light switch (for instance named Apple Music Light) to trigger programming in Control4 to turn on a Control 4 listen device?

siri - “turn on Apple Music light”

C4 programming: when light level changes: if load is on - select audio device - Apple TV; if load is off - turn the room off

Okay, so what is the level of effort to move my setup over from the Veritas driver to this one?  I am much more knowledgeable about HomeKit than our Control4 dealer.  I think we are their only client that is tying into HomeKit with Homebridge.  I'm always having to remind them how to get the config when they add new lights and I'm a bit concerned in trying to tell them how to install this driver setup.

4 hours ago, dppeak said:

Okay, so what is the level of effort to move my setup over from the Veritas driver to this one?  I am much more knowledgeable about HomeKit than our Control4 dealer.  I think we are their only client that is tying into HomeKit with Homebridge.  I'm always having to remind them how to get the config when they add new lights and I'm a bit concerned in trying to tell them how to install this driver setup.

i never used the veritas driver but it took a whole 30 min to setup this driver completely. when a new device is added like a light for example you select a light to add hit ok and then it pops up in the home app

• 4 months later...

@cylon147 I'm receiving the following error message in Composer for the C4 Homebridge driver:

"Oops, Homebridge Interface on Composer only supports HTTPS connections."

I went through the complicated process of enabling HTTPS in the HomeBridge docker container by creating the cert and key (using OpenSSL) and modifying the HomeBridge config.json file to add the keys. The HomeBridge docker container is now running over an encrypted https connection, but now the C4 HomeBridge driver won't connect at all. It seems it's still trying to connect using unencrypted http urls.

What needs to be done to solve this error message?

@cylon147 I'm receiving the following error message in Composer for the C4 Homebridge driver:
"Oops, Homebridge Interface on Composer only supports HTTPS connections."
I went through the complicated process of enabling HTTPS in the HomeBridge docker container by creating the cert and key (using OpenSSL) and modifying the HomeBridge config.json file to add the keys. The HomeBridge docker container is now running over an encrypted https connection, but now the C4 HomeBridge driver won't connect at all. It seems it's still trying to connect using unencrypted http urls.
What needs to be done to solve this error message?

You can set the custom URL in properties.

Let me know if this is not working.

I will be happy to take remote and take a look what’s going on.

Please PM me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, BXTR said:

Is this a reverse engineered driver or is it authorized?

Hate to see people dump hours upon hours of time/money with integration only for it to become non functional one day

This is an “official” driver in that it works directly with HomeBridge.

You should go check out HimeBridge and how it works. It’s not officially endorsed by Apple, but it does use published HomeKit APIs. But these C4 drivers are separate from HomeBridge. 

@cylon147 Where can I get the installation instructions or documentation for this driver?  I would like to be able to read up on it before I call my dealer to come out and install?  They aren't very familiar with HomeKit and HomeBridge.  I got them to install the Veritas driver years ago and I think I'm one of their only clients to use it.  I want to make sure I have a transition plan to move from that driver to this one.

Thanks,

Dave

13 hours ago, dppeak said:

@cylon147 Where can I get the installation instructions or documentation for this driver?  I would like to be able to read up on it before I call my dealer to come out and install?  They aren't very familiar with HomeKit and HomeBridge.  I got them to install the Veritas driver years ago and I think I'm one of their only clients to use it.  I want to make sure I have a transition plan to move from that driver to this one.

Thanks,

Dave

https://www.varietassoftware.com/control4/

@cylon147Thanks for this document.  It's very straightforward and easy for the installers to manage.  One question, I already have HomeBridge set up on a RaspberryPi with several other plugins installed.  Can I use this HomeBridge for the install without it being reset and just enter the proper credentials and details within the Homebridge Manger?

Thanks.

27 minutes ago, dppeak said:

@cylon147Thanks for this document.  It's very straightforward and easy for the installers to manage.  One question, I already have HomeBridge set up on a RaspberryPi with several other plugins installed.  Can I use this HomeBridge for the install without it being reset and just enter the proper credentials and details within the Homebridge Manger?

Thanks.

Yes, You can use the same Homebridge setup with our driver no need to remove other plugins or configuration.

2 hours ago, Amr said:

Do they exist? I have issue with my setup emailed the support 5 days ago never heard back, so I wonder if they are still in business!

The issue of a one man show I guess.

I think i've recently seen @Joshua Pressnellanswer something not to long ago. Try him direct.

What problem do you have?

Other than my tinkering, the varietas has been completely stable for me (even through changes of apple home betas). I've had it since beta, and even though i've tried other drivers/methods, this has been the one solution i use regularly.

ps....still working with ios16 & macOS 13 betas

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.