C4 Forums | Control4

New Control4 Remotes coming 2021?!

CEPro Podcast did an interview of Mike Jordan from SnapAV who mentioned Neeo and SR260 and a "new family of remotes we are working on that is in the roadmap" ... "taking partner feedback" - so perhaps this means an improved Neeo remote with better physical button layout (hope hope)...

No specific release date provided, but the podcast was about roadmap for 2021...

He also mentioned new hardware controllers for C4.

This would be welcome new. Neeo is a great first step but feels unresponsive and sluggish. Wouldn't need much update save for internal resources. 

Would love to see a budget option replacement for the aging SR260 that I'm more willing to "throw around" or have kids touch. 

As a noob to the C4 community (about 9 months)--are there any "upgrade" programs for controllers or remotes? 

1 hour ago, tmj4 said:

This would be welcome new. Neeo is a great first step but feels unresponsive and sluggish. Wouldn't need much update save for internal resources. 

Would love to see a budget option replacement for the aging SR260 that I'm more willing to "throw around" or have kids touch. 

As a noob to the C4 community (about 9 months)--are there any "upgrade" programs for controllers or remotes? 

there have been some upgrade programs in the past for controllers offering maybe 10-15% discounts (I forget off the top of my head).  Not sure they did one with the SR260 when that replaced the SR250.

And I am all for new remotes, I have 2 SR 250s that are still going strong 7 years later but if one croaks I wouldn't be thrilled paying MSRP for a new SR260 or Neeo given their designs/costs.

That said, I hope they have sourced parts and have production already going vs the T4 announcement and then no shipping for months (And still counting).

8 hours ago, anon2828 said:

CEPro Podcast did an interview of Mike Jordan from SnapAV who mentioned Neeo and SR260 and a "new family of remotes we are working on that is in the roadmap" ... "taking partner feedback" - so perhaps this means an improved Neeo remote with better physical button layout (hope hope)...

No specific release date provided, but the podcast was about roadmap for 2021...

He also mentioned new hardware controllers for C4.

Thank you for posting this - would have missed the episode. Just listened very interesting stuff - those were the highlights and most exciting - they also said lots coming in lighting; incorporation of media over IP in audio and video matrixes; surveillance systems adding AI object detections. Sounds like some cool stuff coming down the line……

52 minutes ago, Dueport said:

Thank you for posting this - would have missed the episode. Just listened very interesting stuff - those were the highlights and most exciting - they also said lots coming in lighting; incorporation of media over IP in audio and video matrixes; surveillance systems adding AI object detections. Sounds like some cool stuff coming down the line……

This would be good, the surveillance stuff is quite poor currently....

I think this is the link to the podcast:  https://www.cepro.com/podcast/cepro-podcast-59-snapav-brand-analysis-leadership/

I also wonder what the next gen boxes will look like.  Here is one thought - replace the EA-1 with a special purpose AndroidTV box running C4's version of the Android TV OS that could provide OSD, IR blasting as well as a regular ATV box that has Netflix, etc.  And put an audio out in the device!

Kind of like a Fire TV cube but add an audio out and have it function as a C4 Controller.

1 hour ago, zaphod said:

I think this is the link to the podcast:  https://www.cepro.com/podcast/cepro-podcast-59-snapav-brand-analysis-leadership/

I also wonder what the next gen boxes will look like.  Here is one thought - replace the EA-1 with a special purpose AndroidTV box running C4's version of the Android TV OS that could provide OSD, IR blasting as well as a regular ATV box that has Netflix, etc.  And put an audio out in the device!

Kind of like a Fire TV cube but add an audio out and have it function as a C4 Controller.

problem is given their lower sales volume than other Android boxes and the dealer mark ups it will never be price competitive.  If you are installing a "high end luxury" system then sell that, not an Android flashed rebranded box. 

Just my $.02

But this wouldn't be sold as a competitor to boxes from Nvidia, etc. A box like an EA-1 has pretty much everything required to be a streaming box like the latest Google Chromecast.  I just see this as an additional benefit that could be provided to C4 clients that can mean a cleaner install. To take it all the way it could be more like Videostorm Netplay where the AndroidTV box is essentially the receiver in a centralized video distribution system.

But both of these functionalities lessen the need for a video matrix and could cannibalize SnapAV's revenue on that front. 

One thing that made me scratch my head is that they are talking about listening to dealers leads them to make sure that they what dealers need like digital audio inputs on all matrix amps.  This should have been done a decade ago and the C4-4 zone amps that are over a decade old so I don't understand why all of the Episode Response amps haven't had these for a decade.

When they are talking about MoIP you could interpret what they are talking about to mean Multimedia delivery over one's current LAN.

Neeo 2.0 needs to have

5 Ghz Wifi,

More buttons for transport controls,

a built in mic (I actually hate voice control but it is the future and we may as well implement it now)

And the capability to view cameras on it. For the price point of this bad boy I should absolutely be able to look at my cameras.

Dock should have USB type-C instead of the weird USB to 12v plugin that it currently has.

Backgrounds (the plain black background was really the best C4 could do? even the old neeo before C4 bought it had better looking backgrounds.

and that would be good enough for me. Keep the size of the remote and the screeen size / weight the same as the current neeo nails those aspects.

1 hour ago, zaphod said:

One thing that made me scratch my head is that they are talking about listening to dealers leads them to make sure that they what dealers need like digital audio inputs on all matrix amps.  This should have been done a decade ago and the C4-4 zone amps that are over a decade old so I don't understand why all of the Episode Response amps haven't had these for a decade.

When they are talking about MoIP you could interpret what they are talking about to mean Multimedia delivery over one's current LAN.

The response not having digital inputs what one of those "Really.... ??" moments. Like c'mon guys. 

9 minutes ago, BraydonH said:

Neeo 2.0 needs to have

5 Ghz Wifi,

This one ... not so sure. On the one hand, makes for easier setups here and there but is anyone doing setups with no 2.4 Ghz as a back up anyway? 5Ghz is really still so redundant for something like this (data wise), has less range, and uses more power.....

Fair points about the 5 Ghz, but it would still be a nice option.

And others might have different opinions but in my experience the neeo battery is plenty good enough. I mean a bigger battery would never hurt but since I bought the neeo it has never died not even when left off the cradle for like a week at a time. I'm pretty good about docking it all the time but the battery has been good in my experience. I definitely think the current battery could handle 5 GHz and the extra power required and I would still have plenty of battery left over.

4 hours ago, RyanE said:

Famous last words.

RyanE

LOL

48 minutes ago, Neo1738 said:

Add backlights to hard buttons and that list would be perfect for me. 

Another one where the question is if it's worth the battery time loss vs function. The biggest point of hard buttons is that you don't have to see them. Not against it in principle, but it would have to be weighed accordingly.

PS, I'm also not saying the battery life on the Neeo is a problem now - just don't want it to become one.

8 hours ago, zaphod said:

where the AndroidTV box is essentially the receiver in a centralized video distribution system.

But both of these functionalities lessen the need for a video matrix and could cannibalize SnapAV's revenue on that front. 

I totally agree - it makes sense if the new controllers (CA models) are just control; then have a video endpoint either hardware (as you say) or even an app like Roku if could support - then you could do more sophisticated video like menus overlaid on video or pop up video of doorbell etc. I think there’s still space for video matrix of that us now doing the processing of those video tricks and sending to a dumb endpoint at the tv like Roku or android etc.  

39 minutes ago, Dueport said:

I totally agree - it makes sense if the new controllers (CA models) are just control; then have a video endpoint either hardware (as you say) or even an app like Roku if could support - then you could do more sophisticated video like menus overlaid on video or pop up video of doorbell etc. I think there’s still space for video matrix of that us now doing the processing of those video tricks and sending to a dumb endpoint at the tv like Roku or android etc.  

The biggest issues would be:

-Increased support issues

-Decreased lifespan as underlying software out of C4's hands gets out of date/beyond updating due to hardware

-Increased cost

While it's a neat thing to fantasize about, I just don't believe it's feasible.

13 hours ago, Neo1738 said:

Add backlights to hard buttons and that list would be perfect for me. 

YES YES YES!!! This is actually probably the most important thing. I can't believe I forgot to mention that. Above all that is my biggest gripe about the current neeo. My girlfriend wont even use it and still uses the sr-260 mainly becuase of the lack of back lighting.

1 hour ago, BraydonH said:

My girlfriend wont even use it and still uses the sr-260 mainly becuase of the lack of back lighting.

I've always found this odd, but I can't recall the last time I actually looked at the buttons on a remote, even when I had a harmony remote in my bc4 (Before Control4) days. Was talking to my wife about this the other day (looking at remotes) since we were watching my parents continually put cheaters on and off to read the remote buttons on the remote they've had for about 5 years. We found it odd they don't have the muscle memory to control their remote. Is this not the norm? 

6 minutes ago, tmj4 said:

I've always found this odd, but I can't recall the last time I actually looked at the buttons on a remote, even when I had a harmony remote in my bc4 (Before Control4) days. Was talking to my wife about this the other day (looking at remotes) since we were watching my parents continually put cheaters on and off to read the remote buttons on the remote they've had for about 5 years. We found it odd they don't have the muscle memory to control their remote. Is this not the norm? 

For me on the SR 250/260 I’ve learned channel and volume up/down, power, and 0-9 and usually good with fast forward/rewind/play. But dvr, cancel, prev, the color buttons etc I need to look 

Compared to the 260 I think they should swap the directional keypad with the transport keys.  In other words swap the red and green zones in the diagram below.  The middle zone is where your thumb will naturally rest and I am constantly using the transport keys to skip over commercials or dead times on TV sports. 

image.png.f876b1cf29d615d6d0f26a9c72e2e5df.png

IMO the best layout or most comfortable remote was the TiVo peanut remote. Do that type of layout with a screen. 

TiVo C00270 Roamio Replacement Remote with Radio Frequency ...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.