C4 Forums | Control4

Thermostat Install - Can I? Pic included

TGannon

I've been reading that the only way to have the C4 thermostat is to have a common wire. . .

I don't have one of these, I only have 4 wires, see picture attachment. Is it possible to run a C4 thermostat, or should I simply stick with the one that I have? I'm not really interested in running off of batteries and changing them 5 times a year.

I have two 4-wire hook-ups that are working fine. But, originally I had issues with proper operation. Those probs have since gone away and actually these are holding a calibration over a long period of time as well. I find it hard to believe one cannot install a higher amperage xformer as an alternate install method.

You could install a 24v transformer locally and just wire that to the common of the thermostat.

You do not want to run without a common on these units, it may work for a while, but when it does have issues the troubleshooting will come at the worst possible times.

Might be 2am and you have no heat, etc, etc.

Get a wire to the thermostat from either a local transformer or a new run to the basement. Any good retro installer will be able to get a new wire in place. You'd be amazed what can be done by someone who has the right tools and experience in retrofit applications.

It's a huge energy savings if you automate the schedules and Tstats. After seeing the actual readings from a TED meter, I save more energy with HVAC automation than everything else combined.

A good retro wire puller can probably get the wire in without a bunch of damage, might even be able to do it without any new visable holes.

What more control could it provide than a regular programmable thermostat? I already am able to program morning, daytime, evening and night temps for both the week and the weekend. Is it worth it to get that much more granular in the programming?

What more control could it provide than a regular programmable thermostat? I already am able to program morning, daytime, evening and night temps for both the week and the weekend. Is it worth it to get that much more granular in the programming?

I would say No. If you can already do 90-95% of the features a C4 T-Stat offers through a standard programmable T-Stat then going with a C4 solution for your HVAC, in my opinion, is not worth it. Grant it you can not actually control your T-Stat remotely via a TP or remote but that is just more connivence than anything else. Remotely controlling your HVAC is definitely not energy saving.

My recommendation would be to stick with the programmable T-Stat you have. The cost/benefit factor, from what you have described, is not there.

My 2 cents.

It the flexibility to tie the thermostats into events, connect and control via 4sight, etc.

In my house I have 2 that are connected to events such as "goodbye" which shuts down the house, sets back the thermostat, etc. Welcome Home flips the HVAC back to STAY, turns on the pathway lights, etc.

Connecting remotely to turn the HVAC down on our way back from the beach so it's ready when we arrive, or checking to make sure it's turned off when we go out of town is a big benefit.

These units replaced existing programmable thermostats and the ability to integrate is a huge bonus.

Just the little things like not having to reprogram the time on them for the changes in DST this weekend are a nice add on.

Archived