C4 Forums | Control4

Built-In Patio Misters

booch

Not the most complex from a C4 integration perspective, but thought I'd share my built-in patio mister project.

Basically, I combined a solenoid with a C4 switch, hid all the tubing/works (sucked) and dressed up the nozzles with repurposed stainless trim parts.

Pretty happy with it -- and so is my wife, which is key given my DIY obsession, ha -- hope ya'll like!

(Edited to include pics instead of video, below.)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2021 at 12:22 AM, ERDrPC said:

Any hardware/install details?

We are going to renovate our backyard and want to do exactly what you did 

Thanks

Happy (and flattered) to help. Can answer more specific questions, but as a start, below are the parts I used (from memory):

• 0.4mm low pressure misting nozzles
  • 1/4" polyethylene tubing
  • 3/8" polyethylene tubing
  • SharkBite PTC couplers/splitters (multiple per design)
  • U.S. Solid 3/8" NC 110V solenoid valve
  • Control4 plug-in wireless switch
  • Delta Vero 2" stainless flanges/escutcheons
  • Rubber washers with 1/2" OD (fits in above)

The hardest part was running the tubing through my existing patio roof/beams, which shouldn't be an issue in a reno.

Good luck!

10 hours ago, ERDrPC said:

Thanks. I have to plan it out. Did you use a holding tank or straight hook up to a water line? Is the valve just for on/off? Which pump did you use? It seems the misting nozzles do the actual work

• Straight hook up to a water line, though the one for my steam shower, so I figured a drop from concurrent use would be rare
  • No pump -- mine are at supply level/low pressure. I may try one in the future but, honestly, for 6 nozzles, it seems pretty good
  • And yeah, the valve is just for on and off -- placed it in my conditioned crawl so I could winterize the outdoor segment

• 6 months later...

It is literally the first time is seen something like this. I have seen many patios but never seen a patio mister.
It would be cool to have it here in Australia since the summer is rather hot here in my area. We also are renovating our patio and have already finished the roof with https://carportaustralia.com.au/patio-roof/. I’m glad I have seen your post because a few days later, it would be too late.
I am going to ask the contractors we’re working with whether they know how to build a system like that. If not, I will have to plan it out myself.

On 6/21/2022 at 2:57 PM, samefredd said:

It is literally the first time is seen something like this. I have seen many patios but never seen a patio mister.

It's funny, because of all the tech in my house, the misters get the most love/wants from my neighbors, ha.

11 hours ago, Southerncentralrain said:

It seems like you would be wet or, at least, the wife would not be happy about having a bad hair day.

Well yes, spraying water would make you wet - but misters are a nice way to cool down on a hot day, use realitely limited water/energy - and they always rimind me of a waterfall 'mist' on a hot summer day....

May not fit all, but I for one wouldn't mind setting something like this up if I had the house for it,

11 hours ago, Southerncentralrain said:

@samefredd I am wondering how you use this. Are you using it to keep you cool while on the patio? Does it work well? It seems like you would be wet or, at least, the wife would not be happy about having a bad hair day.

It works great, with the exception of the rare occasion when humidity is literally 100%, in which case it looses effectiveness so I don't bother.

Basically, the water atomizes and via physics drops the temperature of the air (evaporative/adiabatic cooling). The effect is pretty profound -- feels like 10+ degrees -- especially when it's dryer. No water hits the ground in my setup (with a ~10ft ceiling and the nozzles at the perimeter).

I recently added a pressurizing pump to the setup (Arizona Mist 92100 Booster Pump) which made it even better/more powerful.

5 hours ago, Southerncentralrain said:

That makes sense. We deal with very high humidity so I don't think it is a good option for us. Thanks for the information. 

Makes sense. FYIW in my research for this, I noted folks do adapt them to very humid environments by dramatically increasing system pressure. However, this adds significant cost/complexity beyond my mid-pressure system. (Think steel lines and a much more powerful pump.)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.